Match Thread Watford v Everton - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
They had nearly all of their first team out.

They are relegated

They had half of their seats empty

They have the worst home record and on the worst home run in Europe

Frank Lampard seems happy with a point. Wow next season is going to be fun. With that kind of intellect I would be very surprised if we stay up next season. Delaying the inevitable.

Next season is absolutely irrelevant right now. For one, we aren't safe and don't know what league we will play in. And also, getting to safety is all that matters. Style points count for nothing in our position. If we get to safety, it's job done and it doesn't matter how and when we achieve it, as long as we do.

It's hard not to have mixed feeling about last night and while things could have been better, we started Wednesday needing 8 points from 4 games to make sure we were safe, now we need 4 points from 3 games. From a required points perspective we moved 50% forward in 25% of the time we had left, https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/soccer-predictions/premier-league/ has us at 6% chance of going down, sure we aren't safe yet, but despite the result last night was actually a big step forward, just need to have the right attitude for the next 2 games and the team have proved it's in them to grind out a result when we are behind them.

It's hard not to have mixed feeling about last night and while things could have been better, we started Wednesday needing 8 points from 4 games to make sure we were safe, now we need 4 points from 3 games. From a required points perspective we moved 50% forward in 25% of the time we had left, https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/soccer-predictions/premier-league/ has us at 6% chance of going down, sure we aren't safe yet, but despite the result last night was actually a big step forward, just need to have the right attitude for the next 2 games and the team have proved it's in them to grind out a result when we are behind them.
6 points away in the last 9 months.

Then 4 points in a week. We possibly could/should have won yesterday, but if you had told me on Saturday, we would take 4 from 6, I'd have ripped your hand off for it.

After reflection and a few hours to digest the result. I still feel exactly the same about it. A terrible performance and setup in a game that was there for the taking. You will not get premier league games put on a plate for you as much as that one was last night.

Brentford and Palace are well capable of beating this Everton team and If they do then we are down and we will be wandering why subs weren't made early to win the Watford game that was there for the taking. And we will be wandering why players were walking off when subbed and having no urgency to beat a Watford C team in front of a half empty Vicarage Road.

My tuppence worth. An awful game and considering we had only three starters in the lineup with the rest having played about two hours football between them all season I was surprised to not see Everton really go for it until late on; felt more like a pre-season game than a must-win for you.

Great support from the away end, early doors was the best I've heard in ages but understandably waned a bit due to the dross on the pitch. Towards the end the home support got in on the act too.

You probably only need one win from your three games as there is no way this current Leeds side are winning both their remaining. But Brentford are flying and Arsenal away tough so just thrash Palace and all is good!

After reflection and a few hours to digest the result. I still feel exactly the same about it. A terrible performance and setup in a game that was there for the taking. You will not get premier league games put on a plate for you as much as that one was last night.

Brentford and Palace are well capable of beating this Everton team and If they do then we are down and we will be wandering why subs weren't made early to win the Watford game that was there for the taking. And we will be wandering why players were walking off when subbed and having no urgency to beat a Watford C team in front of a half empty Vicarage Road.
That's not true.

It's an interesting way to look at it. Also the points required can only reduce based on other results.

I also feel people are forgetting how tired the players are. They have played at an unbelievable intensity for the ast month with very little squad rotation. It really showed last night. Hopefully they can get a bit of rest before Brentford who will be right up for it.
This is actually still a pretty big concern of mine. How much do we have left in the tank for these final three games?

Look at City stats from last night, 15 goal attempts 5 on target (5 goals)

Everton 15 goal attempts, 5 on target (0 goals).

I’m definitely not saying we are City standard, but the crucial difference (apart from everywhere on the pitch) is the conversion of “on target” to “goal”.

We should’ve won last night, by a mile. Rue the missed opportunity, but another 2-3 points should see us safe.
Neither of us play with an actual centre forward either, the difference is they can finish.

It's never that easy. We should have done enough, but like last night showed, we aren't in a position to just take points when we need them. Burnley and leeds get 1 win and we're right back in it.
We will be ok. We will get something from our remaining home games. Although we were lethargic and awful last night , I have to believe that we will be up for these upcoming matches. Be positive. We will be ok.
Just hope that we can get 100% safe after this weekend's matches. Because tbh I'm getting fed up with this season. Think that we all need a break from Everton and football. I do.
Love Everton FC. But a wee summer break from all things Everton will do me fine...
It's football........But not as I want to know it. Awful season. So just get this season over. Get safe. And please........No more of this nonsense next season. Up The Toffees. Our staying up Toffees.

Status
Not open for further replies.