£40m Bid Made For Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
No way is ross one of our best assets.such a poor return for someone of his talent. I hate using this term but i really do believe he does have a suspect football brain. Too many wrong decisions. Koeman is frustrated with him and where is the stampede to buy one of our best assets?! Sell ross to help pay for gylfi. Sorted
Totally incorrect!

That's an interesting stat if true mate, I'm sure I heard a stat that he made 30 something chances from open play last year which was less then Wanyama who's a defensive mid. What did Barkley make from open play about 80 was it? And only ended up with about 8 assists?

yeh something along those lines.

Sigurdsson created 77 chances last year I think. Ended up with 13 assists.

The actual stat from the league is 9 goals, 13 assists. Taking away set pieces leaves him with 4 goals and 5 assists. Nothing special.

my mistake.

but why take away set pieces?

I really don't get this attitude.

Why are people suddenly going back to the 'set pieces don't count' Martinez argument fgs.

We haven't had anybody who can take a decent set piece in years...

Sigurdsson directly contributed to 23 goals last season - 10 goals, 13 assists.

12 of those goals assists were from open play I believe.
However, it is vital that Everton appreciate what they would be getting for their £50m investment. While the headline numbers put Sigurdsson in the top bracket of Premier League creators alongside Kevin De Bruyne, Christian Eriksen, Mesut Ozil and David Silva, the type and quality of the chances they supply for team-mates are actually very different.

To illustrate the point further, there are 71 players who created more open-play chances than Sigurdsson in the Premier League last season. That included Kevin Mirallas and three other Everton players. Ross Barkley created 54 such chances. Sigurdsson managed only 25 - the same number that Gareth Barry and Idrissa Gueye produced in fewer games.

Even from set plays, it is uncertain how much of an impact that Sigurdsson might have at Everton given that Barkley, Mirallas and Baines shared the team's set-piece duties last term, creating 51 opportunities in the process - only one fewer than Sigurdsson. A quality player then
, but one whose £50m signature comes with considerable caveats. Buyer beware

http://www.skysports.com/transfer/n...to-everton-is-the-swansea-man-value-for-money

However, it is vital that Everton appreciate what they would be getting for their £50m investment. While the headline numbers put Sigurdsson in the top bracket of Premier League creators alongside Kevin De Bruyne, Christian Eriksen, Mesut Ozil and David Silva, the type and quality of the chances they supply for team-mates are actually very different.

To illustrate the point further, there are 71 players who created more open-play chances than Sigurdsson in the Premier League last season. That included Kevin Mirallas and three other Everton players. Ross Barkley created 54 such chances. Sigurdsson managed only 25 - the same number that Gareth Barry and Idrissa Gueye produced in fewer games.

Even from set plays, it is uncertain how much of an impact that Sigurdsson might have at Everton given that Barkley, Mirallas and Baines shared the team's set-piece duties last term, creating 51 opportunities in the process - only one fewer than Sigurdsson. A quality player then

http://www.skysports.com/transfer/n...to-everton-is-the-swansea-man-value-for-money

As I said, that's the same writers saying Naby Keita is worth £70m after one season in the Bundesliga.

Gylfi is class. I know this because I've watched him - a lot.

He isn't just a set-piece merchant, so can we knock this ridiculous notion on the head please?

He will be a great asset to have at set-pieces, which helps, but his all-round game is actually very good.

Stats aren't everything. There's some that back up your point, and some that back up mine.

The best way is to actually watch him play and if you've done that at all over the past two seasons it's hard to fathom why people are so against this deal.

We have money. People need to accept that.

We'll spend what we think Gylfi is worth.

We're not going to spend £50m on him if we think that's too much. We'll walk away.

But evidently, we (the club), don't think it is.

So created less chances but more led to goals proportionally?

Sounds better?

He doesn't just create from set pieces, stop believing that. He's a very good all-round player who happens to be good at set pieces.

Do I think he's 'worth' what we'll pay for him? No, probably not, but he's the manager's primary target and we'll pay whatever we feels right. If we think ti's too much, we'll walk away.

Also, stop thinking we'll be able to get somebody cheaper purely because they're coming from abroad. Unless there's a buy-out clause (Sandro, Roque Mesa), foreign clubs will fleece Premier League clubs as well.

We're going for a proven quality Premier League player.
Why would I stop thinking that, Toff? Bar the players who where already in CL teams, the players brought into the league have cost considerably less. Ok, we wouldn't of competed with Real, but Ceballos just went for 15mill. At 20, he would of had considerable room to grow into a big talent. Fosberg may cost a lot but he was bought for 3mill. That's why we have these scouts.
I get it, people like Siggy, but people in this thread need to stop telling people what they can think.

5 goals from open play btw.
And for @ilikecheese Yes a goals a goal, but over a season you have to have more that set pieces.

my mistake.

Why are people suddenly going back to the 'set pieces don't count' Martinez argument fgs.

Ffs, it's not about set pieces aren't important (Sandro btw looks pretty decent at them, Rooney is a bit better than what we have too). A 40-50mill player should be more than that I feel.

my mistake.

In response to you earlier I posted this;

No one can deny 13 assists and 9 goals from last year is a good return. And his overall input to his team has been good for several seasons. However if you look at last year 8 out of 13 assists came from set pieces. 3 of his goals came from penalties, and several others from direct free kicks.

I'm not denying that set pieces can be a vital and underused weapon against opposing teams. But for 50 million I want someone who does most of their damage from open play, carving open defences, dribbling past players and looking dangerous on the ball when we're in full flow. Not when it's stopped dead.

Clearly I do not deny the importance of set pieces or their value against the opposition. My opinion is he is nowhere near worth 50 million. People want to use stats to big him up which is fine. I would rather use them to paint an accurate portrayal of the player. A player who's goals/assists output was dominated by set pieces. I already state in this quote what I want from a player who is supposedly a playmaker. I'm looking for different attributes, or at least a player whose output isn't mostly measured by dead ball situations.

Um last time I checked set pieces count just as much as open play.

Did I say set pieces didn't count?

No one can deny 13 assists and 9 goals from last year is a good return. And his overall input to his team has been good for several seasons. However if you look at last year 8 out of 13 assists came from set pieces. 3 of his goals came from penalties, and several others from direct free kicks.

I'm not denying that set pieces can be a vital and underused weapon against opposing teams. But for 50 million I want someone who does most of their damage from open play, carving open defences, dribbling past players and looking dangerous on the ball when we're in full flow. Not when it's stopped dead.

Ffs, it's not about set pieces aren't important (Sandro btw looks pretty decent at them, Rooney is a bit better than what we have too). A 40-50mill player should be more than that I feel.

50 million and we've been tucked up. His heads been turned anyway i would put a final official offer in of £40-42 million and if they decline it then walk away - plenty of top players in Europe we could get for that fee and wage offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back