£40m Bid Made For Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the point of having an Iranian billionaire owning the club and moaning about spending money?

Get him signed and get onto the next one.

Sigurdsson is a good player, I've said that from the start. And I think he'd play well for us too

But when you take into account the fee and the fact he's essentially Barkley's replacement, I can fully understand anyone having reservations

We ultimately don't know the contract amount we've given Barkley, we're just going off rumours, but surely if we can afford to blow 40 Million plus on a decent Premier League player we can also afford to go back to the table and give Ross some kind of increased financial incentive to stay?

That doesn't strike me as being an unreasonable stance to have

Ross is younger, home grown and it would cost us less to give him an improved contract than it would to sign Sigurdsson. There's nothing wrong with doing so

My hopes for moshiri weren't just that we'd sign loads of players, but that his financial clout would ensure we could KEEP the players we used to always lose. I'm seeing column A here but I'm not seeing column B, and that worries me

That's fair enough Mikey.

And until the Ross situation is sorted out either way, we won't know his reasons for not signing so far.

But I think Gylfi has and was always going to be a target. Which is probably why, if Ross isn't sold on staying, Koeman may not be that bothered about him leaving, because we've made it clear we'd like Ross to stay.

Yeah, but "chances created" takes only limited account of the QUALITY of those chances. It's not at all unreasonable to assume that the average quality of chance created by Barkley was significantly less than that created by Sigurdsson, when you consider that Barkley will on average have been creating for significantly better quality players, and created a lot MORE "chances" with less end result.

The set pieces - the penalty argument is a little off, as you're *expected* to score from pens, it's more of a story when you miss. You're not expected to score from any given free kick or corner. Also surely the overall measure has to not be "how good are they from open play" (though the chance creation:assist consideration somewhat takes care of that) but "how much effect do they have overall?"

OK, even if we use that parameter, Barkley is the superior player. Involved in much more of any given game with a higher pass completion rate.

HZtSsNd.jpg

And it's not even close. The fact Gylfi has more assists is more to do with a shocking lack of movement due to a gimped attack 'led' by Lukaku than anything Barkley was doing, as evidenced by the above.

Last season, from this site he was voted in the top 3 for man of the match 18 times....thats half his games he was boss ffs!!!!

You can throw as many pointless stats at me as you want, it doesn't convince me in the slightest that he is any better than decent and still needs to fulfill his early potential and show more consistency, which if he did I would be delighted.

I'm confused by the hang up some people have on the fee?

It's not like there's a salary cap...and Everton are nowhere close to FFP...we are by all reports flush with cash...so if we pay over someone's "worth" what does it really do? Are you afraid we'll run out of money? Is it that you simply want a different player? And in that case the player not the fee should be the issue right?

And the framing of this signing creating an either/or situation with Ross is nonsense. If Ross leaves it's not because Gylfi was chosen over him. That's a make believe scenario created by people either upset about the Ross contract situation or don't want Gylfi.

As far as he's not "worth" that much is another nonsense point. It's a free market system. Worth is determined by the buyers. He's worth whatever someone will pay.

I get all the arguments based on his game or wanting another player. I'm just not sure why the fee matters.

What's the point of having an Iranian billionaire owning the club and moaning about spending money?

Get him signed and get onto the next one.

Because no one's interested in just spending money, the point is to spend money well

I'd rather spend £5m well than £50m terribly

Keane got let go as a youngster. He hadn't fully developed. Now he has and is a completely different player.

Schneiderlain was more than good enough for the level Man United were at, it's just that the manager didn't give him any chances to prove himself, which Mourinho more than has a history for.

Sigurdsson was given ample time and support at Tottenham. He was in the prime of his career. He failed.

Most Spurs fans actually liked him to the extent a lot wanted him back. Scored about one every 6 games there too I believe.
Arteta 'flopped' at Sociedad, Pienaar flopped at Dortmund..

This is why I don't understand people saying he's Premier League proven like its a good thing. He's proven to be a good player at Swansea's level but not good enough to be at Tottenham's level. We are aspiring to get to Tottenham's level, so the deal just doesn't make sense.

At least we know he can do it in the premier league.

Liverpool spent a similar amount on a player who proved to be a flop at Chelsea.

Personally I think £40m on Sigurdsson is a safer bet than £40m on Salah.

Somebody made a good point yesterday (can't remember who). In all of the European leagues, there has got to be somebody better than Sigurdsson for that amount of money. I like him as a player and would like to see him at Everton, but for £40m -£50m there's much much better players out there.

Well they'd just rinse us as well.

Perisic is no where close to a £45m player, but that's what United are going to have to pay.

It's a sellers' market when it comes to Prem teams mate. Doesn't matter who the seller is, if it's a Prem team buying, they'll charge more if they can.

We also, evidently, want Premier League-proven players, so that plays a big part.

You can throw as many pointless stats at me as you want, it doesn't convince me in the slightest that he is any better than decent and still needs to fulfill his early potential and show more consistency, which if he did I would be delighted.

Half his games being boss, is consistency.

You are going to love Siggurdsen then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back