£40m Bid Made For Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because no one's interested in just spending money, the point is to spend money well

I'd rather spend £5m well than £50m terribly

The money has been spent on Koeman and Walsh so it's a case of backing them to build the squad with the players they want.

OK, even if we use that parameter, Barkley is the superior player. Involved in much more of any given game with a higher pass completion rate.

HZtSsNd.jpg

And it's not even close. The fact Gylfi has more assists is more to do with a shocking lack of movement due to a gimped attack 'led' by Lukaku than anything Barkley was doing, as evidenced by the above.

Pretty much this.

Tell that to tom Davies who has just broken into the team. Paying 50m for players we don't need when young english blues have to sit on the bench.
If Tom Davies is good enough, or any home grown player they will play.
If Sigurdsson is better than what we have and we can afford to buy him that will make us better... that is surely the objective.
I am not aware that any extra points are available for playing home grown players.

Sigurdsson is a good player, I've said that from the start. And I think he'd play well for us too

But when you take into account the fee and the fact he's essentially Barkley's replacement, I can fully understand anyone having reservations

We ultimately don't know the contract amount we've given Barkley, we're just going off rumours, but surely if we can afford to blow 40 Million plus on a decent Premier League player we can also afford to go back to the table and give Ross some kind of increased financial incentive to stay?

That doesn't strike me as being an unreasonable stance to have

Ross is younger, home grown and it would cost us less to give him an improved contract than it would to sign Sigurdsson. There's nothing wrong with doing so

My hopes for moshiri weren't just that we'd sign loads of players, but that his financial clout would ensure we could KEEP the players we used to always lose. I'm seeing column A here but I'm not seeing column B, and that worries me

That all makes sense Mikey, but I'm increasingly taking the view now that if Ross isn't staying it's not to do with money.

Can't yet work out whether the Sigi deal, if it comes off, is going through because the club already knows Ross is leaving come what may, or if it proves to be a barometer for Ross to set his price for a new contract. It could go either way - but if Ross has already told the club he's off, then I guess we're just nailing the Sigi deal (maybe already knowing what we'll get for Ross off Spuds or whoever) before the Ross deal is made public. Given Ross hasn't travelled, either situation could play out.

You are clearly wrong, and are just re-writting the season to fit your view.

He got 8 man of match awards, thats double the mythical figure you just gave!!!

8 mom awards? Where from? GOT? Lol most people on here think he's the second coming of Christ... just becuase he's scouse and a blue... and for me mom is the best player on the pitch... there is no way he was our best player for nearly a quarter of the games we played in the prem ... bo way...

A very good player who will add to our team. Hope this doesn't mean that Barkley is being shown the door for not signing. Would rather have the two of them but if Barkley goes Sigurdsson is a very good replacement. Get another striker in and we have had an absolutely brilliant summer transfer window.

No.

If we sell Ross for £30m we have £30m.

If we buy Sig for £50m we've spent £50m on Sig.

The 2 deals don't balance eachother out they are independent events.

As it stands, these are our dealings this summer:

IN
Sandro - £5.2m
Klaassen - £23.6m
Pickford - £25m (rising to £30m)
Keane - £24.5m (rising to £30m)
Rooney - FREE (offset by Rom fee)

(This isn't counting U23s, who have a separate budget I am led to believe)

OUT
Lukaku - £75m upfront - rising to £90m + Rooney fee waived
Deulofeu - £10.25m
Cleverley - £8m

We're also likely to add McGeady to the above list, as well as Kone who has gone and Niasse.

Now, think of all the wages saved already. We have probably, just by getting rid of the five players mentioned, funded the wages of Rooney and Pickford.

The TV money coming in will have been used, as has the improved prize money for our league finishing. We have an improved commercial revenue as well.

I'd say there's a good chance we'll come out of this window better-off in terms of both funds and squad.

The money has been spent on Koeman and Walsh so it's a case of backing them to build the squad with the players they want.

Agreed, I just think that if they're willing to spend £45m on Sigurdsson then Moshiri is getting terrible, terrible value for money unfortunately.

if the manager wants him enough, and the board are backing him, good. Moshiri knows how much we can spend, and how much we cant, the deal will probably be spread over a couple of years and that makes it easier to swallow.

The fee is a bit of a shocker, can't help but feel we are overpaying a lot, but to be honest i don't really care, i think GS will offer something to the team that will turn some of our draws we had last season in to wins.

He's a good player, i'd like him here.

Deal can't be that far away with him not travelling, if he hands in a transfer request might make it even quicker.

Swansea have been doing every trick in the book to get the highest price for him, I don't believe there was any true 40m bid from Leicester, i think that was something swansea released to get us to make a bid, and Leicester didn't argue because it made them look pro-active and willing to spend high amounts.

It would not surprise me if the fee initially was 35m rising to 42m. But we'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back