£40m Bid Made For Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Consistent output is the only answer I can come up with

Last 3 PL Seasons - Sigurdsson has 27 Goals / 26 Assists , Barkley has 15/18

I was skeptical about the price tag until I looked at the numbers. He's up there with Hazard (34/17)/Eriksen(24/30)/Coutinho(26/17) over the past 3 seasons and they'd all require huge transfer fees.

That's a fair shout.

Wouldn't surprise me if Swansea leaked the "rejected bid" to spin it their way. Then an "undisclosed" fee will be locked on the weekend and everyone will assume its over 40m.

Same thing happened with Williams, they tried to tell everyone it was like 20m until the truth came out. Either way, this is obviously getting done and properly pronto.

The Williams deal went like this (and I'm confident in the info on this and said at the time).

August 1st last year we agreed an £8m deal in principle for him.

That got out in the press through the local paper in Swansea.

There was a backlash from fans and the next day they said they'd rejected it, going back on their word and the agreement in principle.

We instantly (relatively speaking) went in with an improved bid. I don't know the exact figure, but it's between £10-12m as was stated in the press after he signed.

That happened on the 3rd of August. Swansea all the while were saying they'd rejected it, saying they wanted £15m, but we only ever put two bids in and it definitely wasn't £15m. The deal eventually went through a week later, even though Williams had already agreed terms with us when we agreed the £8m deal in principle with Swansea.

So yeh, a bit off topic, but just a bit of perspective.

Quite unprofessional of him if he did just tell them this morning that he wouldnt fly.

I would be pretty sure that it wasn't that he just couldn't be arsed getting out of bed this morning mate.

These things are usually sorted out before any statement is released.

You could see in Paul Clement's interview that is was almost certain that he was off.

Well, he was.

Clearly you hate him, and would argue he was not good enough if he only had 1 bad game.

Who needs enemies!!!

Where did he get these mom awards you talk of ? Answer the question please...

And 1 bad game?

He was crap and lazy for ages and was dropped from the team.. hardly one game is it... lost his England place to Livermore lol ...

The Williams deal went like this (and I'm confident in the info on this and said at the time).

August 1st last year we agreed an £8m deal in principle for him.

That got out in the press through the local paper in Swansea.

There was a backlash from fans and the next day they said they'd rejected it, going back on their word and the agreement in principle.

We instantly (relatively speaking) went in with an improved bid. I don't know the exact figure, but it's between £10-12m as was stated in the press after he signed.

That happened on the 3rd of August. Swansea all the while were saying they'd rejected it, saying they wanted £15m, but we only ever put two bids in and it definitely wasn't £15m. The deal eventually went through a week later, even though Williams had already agreed terms with us when we agreed the £8m deal in principle with Swansea.

So yeh, a bit off topic, but just a bit of perspective.

*ponders asking the Weasel Hunters Lodge

Sigurdsson is a good player, I've said that from the start. And I think he'd play well for us too

But when you take into account the fee and the fact he's essentially Barkley's replacement, I can fully understand anyone having reservations

We ultimately don't know the contract amount we've given Barkley, we're just going off rumours, but surely if we can afford to blow 40 Million plus on a decent Premier League player we can also afford to go back to the table and give Ross some kind of increased financial incentive to stay?

That doesn't strike me as being an unreasonable stance to have

Ross is younger, home grown and it would cost us less to give him an improved contract than it would to sign Sigurdsson. There's nothing wrong with doing so

My hopes for moshiri weren't just that we'd sign loads of players, but that his financial clout would ensure we could KEEP the players we used to always lose. I'm seeing column A here but I'm not seeing column B, and that worries me
Ultimately Mikey I think that Koeman has serious reservations about Ross.
I think he is happy for him to stay, I think that the manager may believe Ross can continue to improve and MAY become a very good player, but he isn't there now and Koeman wants to build a team for now.

Both clubs trying to save face here.

We don't want to own up to how much we'll pay and Swansea don't want to look easy at selling their most important player.

We'll maybe leak that we've not bid - they'll leak that they've rejected our bid etc.

I personally think that behind the scenes it's a lot closer to being done than Swansea want it known.

But also think it'll be more expensive than Everton want it known.

However this is dressed up with P&L balance sheets, with analysis of perceived value or whether he's deemed to be too slow to replace X, Y or Z; bottom line is that we need to bolster the size of the squad.

To maintain our position in 7th place we need a larger squad to increase competition and to cover for injuries.
To push to improve our position into the top 6. We need a larger squad.
To make a concerted effort at getting a European Cup spot through the UEFA cup. We need a larger squad.

Now, we're in a unique position (based on the history of the club for the majority of Evertonians) in that we can not only increase the size of the squad, but we can do so by bringing in quality players rather than the chaff we've seen over the past decade.

My personal opinion is that £40m is too much for Sigurdsson. However, I think an improvement in dead ball delivery would make a huge difference to the side, and you can't deny his undoubted quality on that front. Also picture this - Barkley stays; he has to compete with Sigurdsson for a regular game - there's no way that scenario does not make Barkley a better player.

someone is telling porky pies. Not sure what any party gets out of leaking a false story.

You'd think Everton would have to be very careful here. 8am news breaks that Sigi has stepped off the plane. Scarcely an hour later there's a £40m bid. From our perspective this needs to look like he's driving the decision to leave and a bid so soon after his action may look a bit suspicious.

I literally don't understand that argument.

Does the league become different because you move to a better team? Honestly, what are you trying to say?

He's the only reason Swansea are still a premier league club.

Of course the league becomes different. You are playing in a team that plays a different style of play and are playing against opposition that plays differently against you. As an attacker, at Swansea he is given time and space because teams tend to leave themselves more open. At Everton, he will have much less time and space because the opposition will sit deeper.

Some players are good enough to adapt their game to the changes, others aren't.

It's my opinion that Sigurdsson isn't good enough for the level we are at and are aspiring to reach. He will be taking less set pieces, so his chance creation will suffer straight away. He also won't have Llorente to aim for with his crosses (unless we buy someone similar), which was a huge part of his game last season. The current Swansea setup is geared around him in order to get the best out of him, our setup won't be.

If you don't see how the league becomes different depending on who you play for then I can't really help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back