Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

£40m Bid Made For Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
He and everyone else have the option to place him on ignore.

I don't understand the problem.

It doesn't stop threads being derailed unless everyone does. We should be discussing Gylfi Sigurdsson in this thread yet here we are discussing the merits of Moshiri being a fraud. It's out of order.

It's the opposite of that really. My problems with the signing is almost entirely based on stats.

The headline figures of goals/assists look good. The underlying numbers are terrible.

He plays well in one role, exactly the same role as Klaassen and Rooney play.

That is false as well. One of the hardest working players in the league. Fills up the net...goals win games.

No-one guaranteed anything but even today people are amazed we have spent so much....but we haven't spent anything when looking at sales.

1 -- Sell to buy is actually fine as long as the correct areas are strengthened. For example, if we sold Lukaku but signed Rooney and Sandro to replace him and added to that with Pickford, Keane and a top centre back then weve massively improved defence but taken a gamble in attack, That's fine with me....but if we sign a midfielder instead of a centre back then were still gambling in attack and weak in defence....pointless

2 -- I don't think anyone would be happy with baines, Williams and jags starting with Cuco the clown at right back (which will happen if keane gets injured) as we will lose every game

3 -- No. He made that statement. He couldn't back it up. He failed.

4 -- We're not discussing anything other than the transfer window, In particular the Sigurdsson deal.

5 -- Its common sense if were overpaying....

6 -- We have scouts across the globe. he have scouts for all levels at the club. We have head and chief scouts. We also have Steve Walsh. if these guys cant find better players than Giroud and Sigurdsson for 80mil+ then that tells me the whole of football is a mess or our scouting network is.
Not reading on the basis that this post looks like a buzzfeed clickbait listicle.

Pathetic is spending £50m on Gylfi Siggurdsson. Would be possibly the worst value for money signing in football history.

Hyberbole? No, I genuinely can't think of a worse one from anyone. Any suggestions? Hindsight not allowed so not Torres to Chelsea for example.

I don't want to write him off too much, but I don't think you're far wrong.

Essentially it's a huge gamble that Koeman and Walsh think he can do something totally different in a different team, something he hasn't shown at all at Swansea and is in fact well, well below average at (like, in the bottom 20% for his position) - create in open play. Not only that, but they're gambling that he'll be able to do it at an elite level as the main playmaker for a team targeting CL.

That's an incredible gamble for 50m - to the extent that it's almost insane. They've obviously scouted him massively. They're obviously absolutely convinced, and have managed to convince Moshiri. They're backing their own convictions on this to a degree I'm honestly not sure I can compare to any other transfer. If it comes off, they're ballsy geniuses.

All the corporate approaches, deals, planning for the future, buying players for the U23s, actual movement and plans on the stadium while still retaining other more 'Everton' initiatives such as EITC, perhaps if we used the model you propose we'd have to lose of that.
All the changes haven't altered our standing in the football world.
We did all that before:

Corporate approches: we've always struck commercial deals and looked to find ways to have a loan facility. The fact that they were small time / overstretched the club is neither here nor there as it occurs now under Moshiri - he's struck a couple of deals on the training ground and shirt deal which is about as clear as mud in terms of how it benefits the club, and the recent Chinese bank facility is just another (larger) overdraft than Kenwright was able to cut...primarily because any PL club these days are seen as good risk - hence the Chinese interest in our game especially.

Buying players for the U23s: when didn't we do that before? Under both Moyes and Martinez the club bought youth to try and come up with first team players.

Movement on stadium plans: Kenwright had us further down the road at both KD and DK.

EitC - nothing to do with Moshiri or Kenwright (although started under the latter).

It doesn't stop threads being derailed unless everyone does. We should be discussing Gylfi Sigurdsson in this thread yet here we are discussing the merits of Moshiri being a fraud. It's out of order.
If the little petals didn't keep biting, there wouldn't be an issue with a thread going off course.

Now Sigurdsson. 50 million. Let's ave it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back