Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

£40m Bid Made For Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol

no he wasn't.

he'll be very good this season. he's been a massive boost to the club and squad.

Yes, he has to be played right, but we saw how much better he looked straight away yesterday when Sandro came on.

Once those two click we'll be looking a lot stronger.
I completely agree but I think the days of Rooney playing as an out and striker are gone

And also means no place for Cuco Martina. Sound logic.

Well, I think he'd probably be alright as wing-back.

Going forward he actually looked half-decent. Defensively he was suspect at best.

But something like the below in the away leg would be good to see imo.

Stek (assuming he's Europa Lg no.1)

Holgate - Williams - Keane

Martina - Gueye - Schneiderlin - Baines

Klaassen/Davies

Sandro - Rooney

You do have to take into the account the side he was playing in as well don't you? they were badly struggling TBF

Yeah I do, but £50m players excel a lot more than that even in poor sides (Suarez, Mahrez, Rooney first spell here etc.) and don't rely on set pieces to bump their stats up.

We're paying £50m for a £25m player - a good player, but that's it. I've been on the fence with it, but the more I think of it, the more bizarre it is. Surely there's another Klaasen type for half the price we can get somewhere else, rather than paying a ridiculous Premier League premium on what is just a decent player.

Well, I think he'd probably be alright as wing-back.

Going forward he actually looked half-decent. Defensively he was suspect at best.

But something like the below in the away leg would be good to see imo.

Stek (assuming he's Europa Lg no.1)

Holgate - Williams - Keane

Martina - Gueye - Schneiderlin - Baines

Klaassen/Davies

Sandro - Rooney

*vomits everywhere

Where is the pace in the team? Plenty of creativity but lacks pace, look at the difference sandro made when he came on last night.
I am also very concerned by that. I'd happily switch Rooney and Sandro and play Sandro behind the striker on the left and Sigurdsson right, Klaassen middle.

Yeah I do, but £50m players excel a lot more than that even in poor sides (Suarez, Mahrez, Rooney first spell here etc.) and don't rely on set pieces to bump their stats up.

We're paying £50m for a £25m player - a good player, but that's it. I've been on the fence with it, but the more I think of it, the more bizarre it is. Surely there's another Klaasen type for half the price we can get somewhere else, rather than paying a ridiculous Premier League premium on what is just a decent player.

yep, can't say I disagree, especially about the over paying but it seems everybody is over paying at the moment.

I still factor in though that we are buying a player that has played in the PL for a few years now, should not need any time to settle and can hit the ground running (sorry for the cliches). So that adds a bit of extra value for me too.

Swansea have talked the talk but this delay will start to freak them out. They need to replace Gyffi with 3-4 players and they will not want them all coming in at the last minute. They will start slagging us off soon for leaving them hanging, then when we offer 47m they will snatch our hand off

...I wonder how he'll fit Sandro, Sigurdsson, Rooney, a new Centre Forward and Klaassen in the team when we can only play 11. Nice problem to have and it will be up to Koeman to find the right blend for the right games.
As you say it's getting the right blend for certain games. If we can get a decent centre half in with pace to replace Williams, we could maybe sacrafice Gana or Schnerderlin to accommodate those players you've mentioned. However against the top teams Gana and schnerderlin are a must to start.

yep, can't say I disagree, especially about the over paying but it seems everybody is over paying at the moment.

I still factor in though that we are buying a player that has played in the PL for a few years now, should not need any time to settle and can hit the ground running (sorry for the cliches). So that adds a bit of extra value for me too.

Yeah same for me. But that adds what - £5m? £10m tops? So around £35m at the very most for Sigurdsson is my view.

I understand the "if Koeman wants him, we should get him" argument, but we hire Steve Walsh for a reason - move on down the list, get someone for a sensible price, then spend the extra money elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back