Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

£40m Bid Made For Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Genuine question because I haven't seen a lot of Mahrez. How hard does he work off the ball? Sigi has an extraordinary number of interceptions and distance ran for a forward player. Can see how he fits with Koeman's plans. Would Mahrez be similar?

He doesn't. He did well when Leicester played on the counter and he had space. Then sulked after winning the title.

Don't think he's that good. 1 good season in 3.

We don't know what is happening in the background, but I wonder if we are moving away from this transfer ?

There will be other similar targets and we may be exploring those at present , I think Swansea believed we would eventually follow to the price they were asking, they may well be wrong.

We don't know what is happening in the background, but I wonder if we are moving away from this transfer ?

There will be other similar targets and we may be exploring those at present , I think Swansea believed we would eventually follow to the price they were asking, they may well be wrong.

Agree with this, we may well yet agree to pay £50m for him but what seems clear is that there is a big reluctance to do so from the board, otherwise this could be wrapped up long ago.

I don't think its simply a case of shrugging our shoulders and paying another £5m. If they are still in talks then my guess is that any additional add-ons taking the fee to £50m will be very onerous and not easily triggered - things like UCL qualification, and an ambitiously high quotient of appearances and goals for Sigurdsson over the length of the contract.

Seems to me now that this is just petering out which doesnt bother me as long as we have already moved to Plan B.

there'll be a bit of Swansea assuming we've gone this high surely we can squeeze a couple more million out of them. And no doubt we're thinking you've got a player who doesn't want to be there, will eventually leave you could hold out for another 5 million but you risk leaving it too late to spend it.
I expect this to happen, all parties are open to it happening but someone will need to blink first.

I wouldn't be surprised if a fee was agreed over the weekend. I honestly can't see us bidding as much as 45m and give up when only 5m off their asking price.
When you log on for the first time in the day, you read we have spent £4m on a hot young prospect, then appear to be wavering over spending a similar amount that could clinch one of our foremost summer targets, it does frustrate you.

When you log on for the first time in the day, you read we have spent £4m on a hot young prospect, then appear to be wavering over spending a similar amount that could clinch one of our foremost summer targets, it does frustrate you.
yeah it does but my thinking is, if we're still negotiating with the likes of Arsenal maybe for Giroud or something like that and we simply role over - even for a couple of million to Swansea because they put up a little be of a fight it could weaken our position with oher teams. Might be totally wrong - just a guess.

Agree with this, we may well yet agree to pay £50m for him but what seems clear is that there is a big reluctance to do so from the board, otherwise this could be wrapped up long ago.

I don't think its simply a case of shrugging our shoulders and paying another £5m. If they are still in talks then my guess is that any additional add-ons taking the fee to £50m will be very onerous and not easily triggered - things like UCL qualification, and an ambitiously high quotient of appearances and goals for Sigurdsson over the length of the contract.

Seems to me now that this is just petering out which doesnt bother me as long as we have already moved to Plan B.

Whilst one performance should not drastically change our plans, it became abundently clear last night that we are lacking in pace and width. Sandro alleviated some issues with the former, but we need much more. I would personally be very concerned if we signed siggurdson, then a large target man up front. If that's the way our manager wants to go then we can only trust him, but this stockpiling of central players is alarming.

Seems like a bit of distance is being placed between us and Sigurdsson now, which is sensible. Hopefully that isn't just some feeble negotiating tactic designed to get Sigurdsson at a "knockdown" £45M but rather a recognition of the blindingly obvious fact we are choc full of players without pace and need another like we need another Martina.

I too, think we are moving on from this matter now.
Any momentum built up when the guy missed the plane with his team mates, has been lost.
I posted earlier, that the moment has now past. I'm sticking to that. Last night's performance highlighted bigger issues, hence your Plan B reference.

i remember when the rumoured amount was 30mill, then there was talk of 35m. they rejected a bid of 40m, then they rejected a bid of 45m. would of loved him for 40 mill but i seriously hope we walk away from this now. likely to go down anyway. player should hand in a transfer request.

no chance of him coming here but go and offer 50m to Hamsik or something. i would blow my load.

Seems like a bit of distance is being placed between us and Sigurdsson now, which is sensible. Hopefully that isn't just some feeble negotiating tactic designed to get Sigurdsson at a "knockdown" £45M but rather a recognition of the blindingly obvious fact we are choc full of players without pace and need another like we need another Martinez.

Fixed that for you. But I'm with you on the Siggurdson front. We could use the funds better getting a striker or Defender.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back