Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

£40m Bid Made For Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last season only 5 PL clubs had lower goals against figures (that despite Chelski putting 8 past us). Why do you think our defence is going to be that much worse this season ? I'm genuinely curious. I take it that you accept that Pickford is an upgrade on Robles and Keane is an upgrade on Mori. Martina gives us options at RB until Coleman returns. Williams, Jags and Baines are all experienced internationals, they don't become bad players overnight because they pass a certain age.

Because we could afford to keep it tight as we had a genuine top quality striker to bag goals for us. This season we will need to play more open football and spread those goals around, and with no Coleman, and Williams and Baines another year older and both with little pace I think we'll struggle at the back this season - or we'll keep it a tight system and struggle to score/get players into attacking areas.

Last season only 5 PL clubs had lower goals against figures (that despite Chelski putting 8 past us). Why do you think our defence is going to be that much worse this season ? I'm genuinely curious. I take it that you accept that Pickford is an upgrade on Robles and Keane is an upgrade on Mori. Martina gives us options at RB until Coleman returns. Williams, Jags and Baines are all experienced internationals, they don't become bad players overnight because they pass a certain age.
I agree Keane and Pickford are a serious upgrade to our defence.
However Martina gives us a poor option at right full back, Holgate and Kenny can cover there till Coleman returns.
Williams and jagielka are experienced internationals I grant you that, but we saw last season the general decline in their play (particularly jagielka) do you honestly think at their age they will recapture their best form?
Baines has been a magnificent servant and certainly good enough for another season, but what happens if he gets injured? We have no natural cover at LB. Instead of prioritising the signing of martina, koeman should have brought in another LB as cover for baines.

He's a good player is sigurdsson and would help us push on but 50million? No way on earth he's worth 50 million. If we decide to go ahead with it then fair play the board are clearly backing koeman.

Nobody should be whinging about Swansea on here, good on them for setting a valuation and sticking to it, nothing we haven't done with our outgoing players. If he really wants to come hell hand in a transfer request and stop being a little bitch about it. It all just seems a weird situation we are willing to pay upwards of 50 million for sigurdsson but unable to persuade Barkley to stay. I know Koeman has said he wants a new challenge but what could be more challenging than pushing on in the league and the cups with us and being part of something. It's all very strange.

This deal seems very close but still far away.

uF9MjJo3QIaijySXC4iL_Confused%20Christian%20Bale.gif

Unpopular opinion but I hope that we miss out on him this window and go back for in January for half the price if he's refusing to play.

He'd be a good player for us no doubt, but he wouldn't add 50m worth of quality to the side. It can be argued his stats are inflated due to him taking every single set piece for Swansea. He'd be competing with a few players for pens and free kicks for us.

He only scored 13 goals and 6 assists in 83 games at Spurs. (Source: https://www.whoscored.com/Players/69346/History/Gylfi-Sigurdsson)
The reason I quote his Spurs numbers are that I'd imagine he would play a role more similar to that with us, rather than the role he plays at Swansea. We have quality all through midfield, whereas Swansea have the plan of 'draw a foul, give the dead ball to Gylfi and hope he does something'.

Our midfield should be fine and if Koeman isn't happy come January time, take Sigurdsson for far less compared to what they want now. He'll be the only decent playmaker that won't be cuptied for Europa come January anyway.

Just my two cents that wasn't asked for :cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back