£40m Bid Made For Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
My favorite thing from this is the graphic showing expected assists that says he has a big gap between expected and actual while Eriksen above him has practically exactly the same gap

Assists will also be determined by the quality of movement in the team and the state of the game e.g Erikisen is a great player but his numbers will be padded with assists when Spurs are 2 or 3 up and the other side had given up. Virtually everyone of Gyfi's goals/assists will have come in close games and earned points for his team. It also doesn't take into account the difficulty of the assist e.g. that amazing Barkley cross to rom last season was literally a goal created out of nothing, that counts as one assist, playing a ten yards square pass to an unmarked striker also counts as one assist but it's something that any premier league player would have been able to do.

Pienaar was our most important player for years, was central to how we played and most of our goals but his assists and goals numbers never looked that great. Stats aren't everything.

Posted this last night.

Apart from Puncheon, Kolarov and Toure, I'd say people would be more than happy to spend £40m on every other player on that list.

I do think we are overpaying, probably by £10m at least, but it's what Swansea are demanding and he's a prime target.

We don't mess around now.
Wow, wasn't aware of that

No idea why people are calling Walsh out over these transfers. We have signed a mixture of experienced and young players. Anybody who thinks he is going to find 6 Mahrez type players is being rather naive. Added to that is the fact that he is not here purely to just do that but to identify players he thinks will improve us, regardless of age. Sigurdsson will undoubtedly do that

No idea why people are calling Walsh out over these transfers. We have signed a mixture of experienced and young players. Anybody who thinks he is going to find 6 Mahrez type players is being rather naive. Added to that is the fact that he is not here purely to just do that but to identify players he thinks will improve us, regardless of age. Sigurdsson will undoubtedly do that

And I can guarantee you had we brought in 6 unknowns for cheap fees the same people would be complaining that we weren't paying enough for proven players etc etc.

Utterly untrue. The amount we've added to our wage bill alone will be staggering. Sandro on £120k per week for example. Rooney on £150k per week.
Yes we've recouped some transfer fees, but our overall outlay has been big, and if you are purely considering net spend of transfer fees you're missing an awful lot. It's a crude measure.

I don't wish to disagree too much but I do think you've got Sandro's wages about 2.5 times too high. He's not an established first teamer, he's not coming from a country - or at least a club - that pays that kind of money and, with respect, if we'd been offering £120K he would have been on the first flight over with a supply of pens.

Since we paid something like £83M in wages last season and Lukaku was considered the highest paid player - and based on some formula or inside knowledge the wage bill last season was said to be split as follows (per week, in thousands)

Lukaku 90, Bolasie, Schneids 80, Williams 75, Mirallas, Baines 70, Barry, Gueye 60, Niasse 55, Jags, Cleverley, Lennon, Macca, Geri 50, Barkley, Coleman, RFM, Kone 40, Valencia, Gibson 35, Besic, DCL, Lookman, McGeady, Oviedo, Stek, Davies 25 Robles 20, other fringe first teamers players (with appearances in first team) around 10

That comes out around 1.4M per week or £72M or so. I expect the rest of the £83M will be management and Elstone etc.

So, according to those figures we just divested ourselves of around £18M worth of wages with the sales of Lukaku, Oviedo, Gibson, Geri, Cleverley, McGeady and departure of Valencia, Kone and McAleny

I understand that Coleman signed a new contract and my figures included the contract Davies signed. I estimate that Rooney is on 150, Klaasen and Keane on 80, Pickford 65, Ramires on 50. This is a total of about £23M - or a manageable increase of around £5M on last season.

If Gylfi comes he'd likely be on about £100K.. or another £5M p.a. So I believe we are well within manageable change given increased income. Our wage bill grew £8M last season as well.

TS had me laughing last night...going on and on about how Gilfi wasn't worth 50 mil, yet weren't saying that about Walkers 50 mil move to City.

Jesus 50 mil for a RB(could be LB no idea) at least were buying a match winner for 50 mil

Posted this last night.

Apart from Puncheon, Kolarov and Toure, I'd say people would be more than happy to spend £40m on every other player on that list.

I do think we are overpaying, probably by £10m at least, but it's what Swansea are demanding and he's a prime target.

We don't mess around now.

Yes, absolutely, and imagine how many more goals and assists he might have achieved in a better side than Swansea.

I don't wish to disagree too much but I do think you've got Sandro's wages about 2.5 times too high. He's not an established first teamer, he's not coming from a country - or at least a club - that pays that kind of money and, with respect, if we'd been offering £120K he would have been on the first flight over with a supply of pens.

Since we paid something like £83M in wages last season and Lukaku was considered the highest paid player - and based on some formula or inside knowledge the wage bill last season was said to be split as follows (per week, in thousands)

Lukaku 90, Bolasie, Schneids 80, Williams 75, Mirallas, Baines 70, Barry, Gueye 60, Niasse 55, Jags, Cleverley, Lennon, Macca, Geri 50, Barkley, Coleman, RFM, Kone 40, Valencia, Gibson 35, Besic, DCL, Lookman, McGeady, Oviedo, Stek, Davies 25 Robles 20, other fringe first teamers players (with appearances in first team) around 10

That comes out around 1.4M per week or £72M or so. I expect the rest of the £83M will be management and Elstone etc.

So, according to those figures we just divested ourselves of around £18M worth of wages with the sales of Lukaku, Oviedo, Gibson, Geri, Cleverley, McGeady and departure of Valencia, Kone and McAleny

I understand that Coleman signed a new contract and my figures included the contract Davies signed. I estimate that Rooney is on 150, Klaasen and Keane on 80, Pickford 65, Ramires on 50. This is a total of about £23M - or a manageable increase of around £5M on last season.

If Gylfi comes he'd likely be on about £100K.. or another £5M p.a. So I believe we are well within manageable change given increased income. Our wage bill grew £8M last season as well.

£120k IS the reported weekly wage for Sandro

Remember that he had a great negotiating position because of the clause in his contract - the fact we only had to pay £5.2m for him allowed him greater ability to ask for a bigger financial package for himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back