15 mill pound player!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What you think of Tim Howard then?

Easily in the top ten keeper in the league, but probably not the top 10.

This is the bit where somebody explains, these questions, and/or goes back to my original question: exactly how is Lerner different from Kenwright (because I get the feeling I'm being labelled a fanboy? Which is fine because you should be able to come up with a clear cut argument to shut me up pretty easily in that case)

Thanks for that Cal mate, but this is a MouFro thread, if you wish to sing the praises of our wonderful Captain, i suggest you start another thread. But thanks for your input lid.

This is the bit where somebody explains, these questions, and/or goes back to my original question: exactly how is Lerner different from Kenwright (because I get the feeling I'm being labelled a fanboy? Which is fine because you should be able to come up with a clear cut argument to shut me up pretty easily in that case)

Are you HalewoodBlue?

Sorry Lordyefc just a little highjinx. I can't see any difference in Lerner or Kenwright except Lerner has deeper pockets and is primarily a hands off type but he is a hugh fan of Villa like Bill is for us.

Why does that put Kenwright rungs below Lerner? And especially below the likes of Glazer, who actually extract money from their club to fund their purchase? Why does the origin of the money matter at all, providing that it isn't the clubs profits a la Glazer?

I'm not defending Lerner, maybe he is or maybe he isn't in the process of milking Aston Villa by loading debt onto them, but, as you say, at least Lerner paid for his shares, that we do know for sure. *Kenwright bought* a controlling stake in EFC and proceeded to securitise and sell off parts of the organisation as a strategy to keep control of the club. You're not seriously elevating Kenwright as some sort of anti-leverage model of propriety for Premier League clubs are you?

I still think that Lerner has put some stability into Villa. The manager is getting a regular money supply which imo will pay off this season as i think they'll secure Champions League football.

I'm not defending Lerner, maybe he is or maybe he isn't in the process of milking Aston Villa by loading debt onto them, but, as you say, at least Lerner paid for his shares, that we do know for sure. *Kenwright bought* a controlling stake in EFC and proceeded to securitise and sell off parts of the organisation as a strategy to keep control of the club. You're not seriously elevating Kenwright as some sort of anti-leverage model of propriety for Premier League clubs are you?

I'm not elevating Kenwright above anyone. But neither am I elevating somebody who has done 100% exactly the same thing as Kenwright in terms of how the business is run. The only difference is that Lerner paid cash for his shares and Kenwright (apparently) had to borrow. From the date of purchase of the shares, they have been identical in their strategy so I see no reason to elevate either above the other.

I'm not elevating Kenwright above anyone. But neither am I elevating somebody who has done 100% exactly the same thing as Kenwright in terms of how the business is run. The only difference is that Lerner paid cash for his shares and Kenwright (apparently) had to borrow. From the date of purchase of the shares, they have been identical in their strategy so I see no reason to elevate either above the other.

Right, so we've established that two wrongs dont make a right. If Cal had cited in his opening post that Kenwright should do one and be replaced by an Arab prince you'd get behind that?

Right, so we've established that two wrongs dont make a right. If Cal had cited in his opening post that Kenwright should do one and be replaced by an Arab prince you'd get behind that?

Yes, but he didn't. He said let somebody like Lerner in who could provide a budget of £30m a season, which somebody like Lerner couldn't do. As you say, only an Arab prince or the like could provide that.

And yes, I would be behind selling the club to an Arab prince to bring the world's best players to the club. A tiny little part of me would die, though.

But do we know any Arab princes who would be interested? Do they have a message board like this one, where they say things like "lolz I bought a new jet!!!! iz soooooooo coooooool", where we could ask them to buy into the club?

You dont need an Arab price to spend £30m a season, you just need somebody to inject a little bit of money and pay off the debts, improve the current squad with 2-3 Top drawer players, then when your getting CL football year in year out and your taking 30m-40m a season off UEFA and filling the stadium week in week out £30m will the least you could afford.

You dont need an Arab price to spend £30m a season, you just need somebody to inject a little bit of money and pay off the debts, improve the current squad with 2-3 Top drawer players, then when your getting CL football year in year out and your taking 30m-40m a season off UEFA and filling the stadium week in week out £30m will the least you could afford.

I have to agree but we need to do something about the stadium situation otherwise we wont really be attractive to potential backers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back