2024/25 Relegation Thread

Watched Bournemouth look pacy and dynamic going forward and controlled in the middle with the ball today, Saturday is going to be hard work.

Genuinely think we’ve got one of the three weakest midfields in the league, probably bottom five forward lines, only saving grace on paper is our defence but that’s shipped 7 in 2 games.

I don’t think this squad can really play any other way either, it’s not fully on Dyche this and anyone saying it is needs to re-watch us trying to play football under Lampard. We tried to ‘play’ we haven’t got the personnel, we sit this deep to stop any transitions and rely on getting ourselves up the pitch with percentages and set plays, it’s going to be a graft again.

Get Branthwaite back in and there's at least a decent feeling that a clean sheet is realistic (as proven last year with the 5th highest in the league). Without him it's not a shock to see defence concede 3s and 4s against quick attacks.

I think that's what it comes down to in a low scoring team. The two regular CBs can't be missing that many games. Last season I think it was only Burnley away that it wasn't Tarks-Branthwaite from middle of August right through to the end of the season which was a minor miracle when you look at how many different defensive combinations likes of Villa, Newcastle, Chelsea, Man. United had to put out.

Already this season feels completely different with so many players out.

And thats why i thought we bought a centre half for keane to be knocked even further down the pecking order.
Only Everton could spend money they dont really have to be "not ready"
Crackpot club.

1724860306562.webp

And thats why i thought we bought a centre half for keane to be knocked even further down the pecking order.
Only Everton could spend money they dont really have to be "not ready"
Crackpot club.
And get carved open by players with no prem experience such as Minteh
I hate the PL marketing nonsense. It helped cartel clubs offload their deadwood to managers obsessed with prem experience
O'brien is ready, Keane is not ready, simples

I haven’t really watched much of Southampton but what do people think about their managers style of play

Do you think they will struggle in the prem to play that way like how Burnley struggled or do you think they could pull it off and stay up?

I haven’t really watched much of Southampton but what do people think about their managers style of play

Do you think they will struggle in the prem to play that way like how Burnley struggled or do you think they could pull it off and stay up?
hard to know yet
First game they dominated 10 man Newcastle away but couldn't score
2nd game they were dominated by Forest at home

Looks like they are a bit toothless up front
Manager has said he wants to continue playing that way

They were truly awful at home to Forest, hardly had a serious shot at goal. They can play o.k against the better teams but Forest at home is exactly the sort of game you need to be winning to have a chance of staying up regardless of the timing of the fixture and they offered very little.

Signing Ramsdale on season loan and talk Ward Prowse may go back there in 48 hours so that would give them a bit more experience in key areas but long hard season ahead.

Watched Bournemouth look pacy and dynamic going forward and controlled in the middle with the ball today, Saturday is going to be hard work.

Genuinely think we’ve got one of the three weakest midfields in the league, probably bottom five forward lines, only saving grace on paper is our defence but that’s shipped 7 in 2 games.

I don’t think this squad can really play any other way either, it’s not fully on Dyche this and anyone saying it is needs to re-watch us trying to play football under Lampard. We tried to ‘play’ we haven’t got the personnel, we sit this deep to stop any transitions and rely on getting ourselves up the pitch with percentages and set plays, it’s going to be a graft again.
I don’t think Dyche is helping, with his insistence on fielding the same recognisably crap players instead of the new (possibly) less crap players, but there are too many ineffectual players in the squad. It’s going to be a graft for a few years yet.

I don’t think Dyche is helping, with his insistence on fielding the same recognisably crap players instead of the new (possibly) less crap players, but there are too many ineffectual players in the squad. It’s going to be a graft for a few years yet.
Been saying this for years but it’s absolute mental how bad we are at football, let alone athletically.

I think we’ve got maybe 2, at a real push 3 players who can actually strike a ball.

Mcneil, Lindstrom, Garner arguably. Crazy how poor that is for a premier league side. And none of them can do it consistently. Really lacking in players who can move the ball at pace through the lines and players who can make things happen directly (I think one or two more proper ball strikers and Dyche’s playstyle is far more effective).

The saving grace only works when JB plays...

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back