4pm announcement Barkley Signs new 4 year deal [Dont post GIFS]

Status
Not open for further replies.
So...the club judged this right? It's something they should do again?

It's better than selling him.

It's better than allowing the tabloid media to continue running with the theme that we were just waiting for 'a rich club' to bid for him.

Anything that's puts out the message that we are EVERTON FOOTBALL CLUB and we clearly see ourselves as challenging for a top 4 place is alright by me.

Last year when Martinez was unveiled, he was almost embarrassed when Kenwright blerted out about the CL aim.

Barkley just matter of a factly noted we want to get into the CL this season.

That's the difference Martinez and the last 12 months has made. Added to Coleman's new deal, and Barry signing.... these are positive signs.

Yeah, things could be better. We need strikers and we need the Lukaku circus sorted out one way or another asap. But things could be a hell of a lot worse.

Whoever suggested earlier this may have been called initially to announce Lukaku, but it stalled last minute so Barkley was trundled forward, may have been spot on. I mean, a two year extension for RB is ridiculous to call a national press conference for. It looks like something cobbled together to save face.

I just cant believe even this club's PR department could be that poor that this was the original plan.

It was NEVER going to be about a signing!

Clubs don't call a press conference at short notice to announce a 'surprise' signing - they might have done 25 years ago, but not in this day and age.

It wasn't to save face - it was pure PR, and to stick one in the eye of all the tabloid media types that steal a living day after day writing lies about Barkley going elsewhere.

It's better than allowing the tabloid media to continue running with the theme that we were just waiting for 'a rich club' to bid for him.

Anything that's puts out the message that we are EVERTON FOOTBALL CLUB and we clearly see ourselves as challenging for a top 4 place is alright by me.

Last year when Martinez was unveiled, he was almost embarrassed when Kenwright blerted out about the CL aim.

That's the difference Martinez and the last 12 months has made. Added to Coleman's new deal, and Barry signing.... these are positive signs.

Yeah, things could be better. We need strikers and we need the Lukaku circus sorted out one way or another asap. But things could be a hell of a lot worse.

I honestly don't understand this part

He's asking you if the whole calling a press conference and hyping it up for 4-5 hours through the media was the way to go?

It was NEVER going to be about a signing!

Clubs don't call a press conference at short notice to announce a 'surprise' signing - they might have done 25 years ago, but not in this day and age.

It wasn't to save face - it was pure PR, and to stick one in the eye of all the tabloid media types that steal a living day after day writing lies about Barkley going elsewhere.

They wrote story after story involving Baines for frigging years

Why did we just announce his new contract on the OS? Why did we not call a national press conference?

The amount of kopites I've had RT my tweet where I said having a press conference for Barkley is a bit small-time. Laughing at us for being pleased our best player is staying.

Their best player just completely embarrassed their club and then sodded off to Spain without a second thought after they spent 2 years disgracing themselves by putting him before their dignity. And they think they're in a position to laugh?

:D

Stop being so arsed about Liverpool

I think it makes sense to make a big thing of this extension. It is a statement of intent, it does send out a message that we intend to build.

I think the only error was not clarifying the nature of the press conference. If it'd been announced that it was a contract extension initially, it wouldn't have had the same build-up. We all would've suspected it was Ross. That works both ways, I suppose: our expectations would be tempered, but so would the media's - and it may not have had the same expectant coverage.

Still, this will all calm down and no harm has been done.

Why did we just announce his new contract on the OS? Why did we not call a national press conference?
Maybe it's a shifting strategy for building the brand of Everton. All the guys who value Everton over a bigger weekly wage are evidence about how great a club Everton is. Might be a good idea to start broadcasting that out to our potential signings. Other clubs can't buy what Everton have.

I honestly don't understand this part

He's asking you if the whole calling a press conference and hyping it up for 4-5 hours through the media was the way to go?

I was referring to Dave's wider philosophy on all things Everton. But if you want my answer - yes, yes it is a good idea to announce a press conference and shout from the top of the rooftops that we are keeping one of our best players and most bankable assets at the club for the next 4 years, despite the media putting out biased stories/lies on a daily basis, belittling and undermining the stature of the club.

Maybe they finally learnt their lesson and decided to be far more bullish, allied to our far more positive manager.

I always said they should have had a presser to announce the Baines deal too.

i see it like this..

baines, bob, barkley contract extensions all are telling us one thing...we are doing things right, we're moving to right direction. few years ago we would have been robbed like saints are being robbed now. We have stepped up as a club. Every team in the PL are s••••ing them selves when they come to goodison. We have the sexiest manager in the country.

Carry on Bobby.

Coyb!
^^^This^^^ ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back