4pm announcement Barkley Signs new 4 year deal [Dont post GIFS]

Status
Not open for further replies.

QUOTE="Del, post: 2889632, member: 8807"]You do understand that his contract is worthless though yer?[/QUOTE]
It's collateral, credit worthy :)

4 years but Besic - a year older - signs a 5 year contract...

Made up Ross has embrassed the usual London media types as Baines did but the reality is this is just about money and making the club and himself look good (true blue and all that), if Ross progresses as expected this season he'll be on his way this time next year unless we can match the 100k a week and Champions League football that the clubs wanting him can offer

Nah 4 years basically means 2 years on his new wage then we review it again, if he progresses as expected then he gets another new deal, don't see a problem here.

Resigning players you had - I'd say that fits your definition perfectly.

As I said, Besic aside this is standard fare for Everton even though there's a hell of a lot more money available.

Nope. Wrong again Dave. For a start, Barry wasn't our player. For the next 3 years he is though, but just you keep on pretending that we've only brought in Besic, if that suits your agenda. xx

Again, we haven't re-signed them players (Barkley and Coleman) We've given them more money and longer contracts. Doesn't that somehow contradict your opinion that the board/club would rather reign it in and cash in on them?

I'm not quite sure you ever understood what inertia meant in the first place.

As for the money available, I can't comment. You gonna go back to your January point and accuse Roberto of lying? We'll have to wait until September to debate this final point....

Last edited:
I haven't seen the press conference yet mate but imo calling one to announce Barkley has signed a new deal is absolutely spot on and for a number of reasons.

I think Everton and in particular Martinez wants to get rid of this small club Everton sell their best players tag once and for all. Barkley is one of the brightest young talents in Britain and a whole host of clubs wouldn't mind him in there team and for him to commit is positive news.

Before anyone mentions its only a 2 year extension, he's already stayed bloody longer than Rooney so adding on another 2 years shows his commitment imo. If anyone would like to gladly go back to the days where we flog home grown talents like Wayne then so be it, but today i think shows that we can keep hold of our top players and who knows mate, we may even win a pot or two because the likes of Barkley are willing to stick around.

The retention of Barkley is a big deal for the reason you mention. I dont think anyone's arguing against that. The reason I asked my question is that to make sense of it as a strategy the club would have to continue to call press conferences now. Is Barkley more important than McCarthy or Mirallas to us? I dont think he is right now. We'd need to send out a message to other clubs therefore to show how committed we are to holding on to them. We're not going to do that though, I suspect.

A bells and whistles press conference simply wasn't and isn't the stage for that today. For me it just came across as normal club business trundled forward into the vacuum of a pretty quiet transfer window for Everton. At the very least they misjudged the mood of their own 'audience'.

Do half of Evertonians just find something to moan about in everything!? Lol

Ross Barkley, the BEST young prospect in England and boyhood blue has signed a new LONG term contract with us. Not only that he's done it with the dignity of a true toffee who unlike Rooney you can tell it means the world to Ross and his only football thought is efc!!

Deserved his Presser, hope he loved every minute of being the big news.

So...the club judged this right? It's something they should do again?

They should have announced what the presser was for when they announced it, and just said something like:

"Ross Barkley signs a 4-year deal, hear from him and the manager at a 4pm press conference"

The retention of Barkley is a big deal for the reason you mention. I dont think anyone's arguing against that. The reason I asked my question is that to make sense of it as a strategy the club would have to continue to call press conferences now. Is Barkley more important than McCarthy or Mirallas to us? I dont think he is right now. We'd need to send out a message to other clubs therefore to show how committed we are to holding on to them. We're not going to do that though, I suspect.

A bells and whistles press conference simply wasn't and isn't the stage for that today. For me it just came across as normal club business trundled forward into the vacuum of a pretty quiet transfer window for Everton. At the very least they misjudged the mood of their own 'audience'.

Ross is the most sought after player in our squad at the moment, the jewel in Everton's crown so to speak, glad the club are making a big deal of it, it's a real statement of intent and shows that we aren't going to be bullied by the monied clubs.

To be honest Ross needs the practice at dealing with the media!

Amazing how he looks composed as anything on a football pitch in front of 50000 people, but look a nervous wreck in front of the meeeeeja.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back