4pm announcement Barkley Signs new 4 year deal [Dont post GIFS]

Status
Not open for further replies.
It gets the club back into the news, I'd call a press conference announcing that we'd signed for a delivery from parcel force if it got the club some press inches.........

They should have announced what the presser was for when they announced it, and just said something like:

"Ross Barkley signs a 4-year deal, hear from him and the manager at a 4pm press conference"
Disagree with this, I think it was always designed to make the maximum media splash possible. Don't be cowed by other teams fans saying this is something small time clubs do. The people who say that don't like Everton taking their team's spot in the headlines. Big time clubs dominate headlines and don't apologize for doing so.

Players that come up through the academy and then promoted to the first team have previously not been treated like new signings would - a picture with the shirt and then a presser/media event to talk about how happy they are to have joined the club etc. which even loanees like Barry and Lukaku receive.

In a way it makes the academy graduates seem less important than an external signing, an afterthought almost to the nice shiny new toys that get brought in. Perhaps Martinez is trying to change that perception.

It's probably been said already. Although I was delighted with the Boss Rarkley news I didn't even mind the no Lukaku news but the 'liverpool have signed player for 10 million' right after the barkley news broke kinda showed us up big time I'm afraid. There was a big build up to that conference and then 'oh ye by the way, Liverpool have signed a player for ten million, making there net spend of half a billion this summer' That was just typical.

It never ceases to amaze me how negative the majority of us Evertonians are, our prized asset signs a new deal and we find fault in the lenght of contract, we moan on the "alleged" 65k a week, saying its not enough.

All it really proves is we have scars from our past, we refuse to believe that a young lad wants to play for the club he adores like we all do, has Kenwright and co totally stripped us of all hope by constantly letting us down by selling, lack of investment,stadium issues and marketing blunders. I find it quite sad that we can't all rejoice in this good news instead of looking at the negative angle.

Its not all bad blues, I think we have a manager that gets the NSNO.Onwards and upwards.

The retention of Barkley is a big deal for the reason you mention. I dont think anyone's arguing against that. The reason I asked my question is that to make sense of it as a strategy the club would have to continue to call press conferences now. Is Barkley more important than McCarthy or Mirallas to us? I dont think he is right now. We'd need to send out a message to other clubs therefore to show how committed we are to holding on to them. We're not going to do that though, I suspect.

A bells and whistles press conference simply wasn't and isn't the stage for that today. For me it just came across as normal club business trundled forward into the vacuum of a pretty quiet transfer window for Everton. At the very least they misjudged the mood of their own 'audience'.

Re the press conference for the announcement, I think it is worth remembering that RM hasnt been in front of the UK media for a while. And he is by a mile, the most "media friendly" of all EFC employees. Also, we/he have only just come back from the Thailand trip, which apparently went down well with the hosts.

So maybe, just maybe mind you, this was actually aimed at not just the local/national press guys or other clubs sniffing around. But part of a wider picture at getting us seen in other parts of the world as not plucky old Everton, but a serious PL club, who can retain some of the best young players in Europe.

Just a thought Dave.

It's probably been said already. Although I was delighted with the Boss Rarkley news I didn't even mind the no Lukaku news but the 'liverpool have signed player for 10 million' right after the barkley news broke kinda showed us up big time I'm afraid. There was a big build up to that conference and then 'oh ye by the way, Liverpool have signed a player for ten million, making there net spend of half a billion this summer' That was just typical.

be arsed? a striker that can't score goals bought based on a couple of games and very little scouting (let's face it, this is very likely). we don't have to compare ourselves to them at every term.

getting ross for 4 years is better than their deal because he's a much better player and more highly rated. it was only seen as bigger because it was a signing, doesn't matter if it happened straight after or 3 weeks ago, i only care about our news.

Some truly poor responses in this thread IMO.

We've just tied down one of the world's best young footballing talents (I'd actually say THE best but perhaps biased) and you're finding ways to moan about it. After a great season. When we have a great squad and in the process of signing a £20m striker.

Get a grip eh?

We've just tied down one of the world's best young footballing talents (I'd actually say THE best but perhaps biased) and you're finding ways to moan about it. After a great season. When we have a great squad and in the process of signing a £20m striker.

Get a grip eh?

Bang on there Tubes.

Get a grip eh?
You are deffo biased.

John Stones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back