6 + 2 Point Deductions

I have no real issue with this. Which i'll answer as to why below. But i'd guess Everton are nowhere near the only club operating at a loss. Transfer fees and wages are seeing to that.
Its virtualy impossible to be successful in this money obsessed league without spending. We now have a league that is basically telling 75% of teams you've no choice but to just tread water in our league. The problem Everton had is they tried to bridge the gap by spending money on players that were just not worth it. Our fault, 100% awful transfer recruitment. No Everton fan would even argue with that. Now if you've cocked that up then its the clubs responsibility to claw it back. 100m for Richarlison and Gordon was going that way. You'll have to forget about jumping into the serious places in the league because you failed in recruiting and then cut your cloth.
Evertons main crime is they tried to better themselves. Should they be getting a 10 point reduction for that?
Im not buying into the premier league gives a toss about any club going into debt. Any integrity they had was lost when 6 clubs tried to breakaway and they punished them with nothing more than a slap on the wrist. Evertons 19.5m over their imposed profit and sustainability does not warrant a 10 point deduction.
Good post Sir.
We all know the league is rigged. Leicester is a great example of that. Won the league and where are they now because they weren't allowed to spend to stay at that level? Another example is Wolves, they came up and achieved 7th place twice. They were soon restricted in what they could do. Villa, Forest and Bournemouth will be next. The only outlier is Brighton as they have done well and recouped a lot of money...however, their best players have been snatched up just as Southampton's were.

The only issue I have with your comments is that final sentence. Something needs to be done to control this ridiculous and reckless spending that says it is OK to only lose 105M every three years. We were caught red handed and while the Prem league is at pains to say we didn't deliberately mislead their panel, the reality is that statement is window dressing.

Our owner and our management is to blame for this mess, yet so many of our fans want to lay blame elsewhere. They want to make excuses for what amounts to fraudulent statements.

As I have repeatedly said, this should be the beginning of a new start. We admitted guilt. We should appeal to reduce the points deficit and we should move forward. We won't go down and we will still be a Prem side next season.

What happens to other sides is their business. We have to trust the Prem. will deal with other offenders accordingly. Now let's stop the victim act. Our owner put us in this position. No-one else.

I am convinced at the beginning of next season the threshold for P&S will be improved. They will say an upturn in interest rates, the world starting to go back on track after covid etc, it will go for 105m to like 150m, low and behold, loads of clubs in the league will post over 105 but under the 150. Just wait.

I agree completely. It's an absolute farce and will let mings like Newcastle spend.

I am convinced at the beginning of next season the threshold for P&S will be improved. They will say an upturn in interest rates, the world starting to go back on track after covid etc, it will go for 105m to like 150m, low and behold, loads of clubs in the league will post over 105 but under the 150. Just wait.
I get what you are saying but by default it would be an absolutely ridiculous state of affairs. There is no other business that can sustain losses of this magnitude year after year. At some point you have to break even or make money otherwise you are really saying to an owner that once we've spent your money, we'll try and find some other sucker.

One thing that is also not being mentioned (at least as far as I could stomach to read) in the papers is that we have also effectively and additionally been fined (and possibly as much as our alleged overspend).

IF we do stay up and end up in 17th place, for example, the difference between that position and the position 10 points higher is generally reckoned to be worth 2.2 million pounds in TV money per PL position (plus additional appearance money).

Got to be by far the biggest punishment in English football history:
  • Two years working hand in hand with the Premier League having them sign off on any transfers
  • Forced to sell Richarlison on the cheap by a certain deadline
  • 10 point penalty
  • Financial penalty
  • Possibly being sued by a handful of clubs in civil lawsuits
It feels bad now, but it won't be possible to stomach when City with their 115 charges get just 1/4 of that.

The fact that a lot those deeply involved with this pocketed about a million each to step down from their roles... just laughable. They should be sued by Everton if they were the ones signing off on the dodgy accounts.

Another famous Everton First thanks to Bill.

If it means we have to pay a 30m fine instead of signing a 30m player, then it could be argued that we will be paying to watch an inferior product, so that could be seen as punishing the fans.

I just don't see how losing a few points punishes the fans though - we are still getting to watch the exact same product (which I'm sure some will argue is punishment anyway 😂)

This is strange logic. Of course the fans have been punished by us sitting joint bottom rather than comfortably 14th and well above the drop zone.

I've seen a few posts about this punishing the fans.
Can anyone explain what this actually means, and give an example of a penalty that doesn't punish the fans?

Not trying to be contrary, I genuinely don't understand it

The fans now have to go through the stress of a relegation battle and potential relegation, potentially the club going out of existence. I don’t understand how that’s as difficult to understand as you’re making out.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back