6 + 2 Point Deductions

The government have already admitted that the UK embassy in Abu Dhabi have been discussing City's charges. Just like the Newcastle takeover, they'll take it to the government who'll then lean on the league...the league will then buckle and come up with an excuse (more than likely saying it's historic breaches so there's nothing substantial to do).

Chelsea will neglect all knowledge as it's a new regime and they can't punish them for what happened under the previous ownership.

Both will get suspended points, a fine, or maybe a transfer ban. For both sides...that's nothing.
Of course they can punish them for what happened under a previous ownership. There's such a thing as due diligence when taking over a club and to say the new owners were completely oblivious would have to be stretching the truth. Let's say you are correct and they get away with that, the spending since the new owner took over in May 2022 is absolutely going to be questioned and I would expect huge losses to be announced when those accounts are announced. They lost something approaching 350M over the last four seasons prior to this and the spending has gone up.

There's no way they are escaping a worse punishment than ours.

Of course they can punish them for what happened under a previous ownership. There's such a thing as due diligence when taking over a club and to say the new owners were completely oblivious would have to be stretching the truth. Let's say you are correct and they get away with that, the spending since the new owner took over in May 2022 is absolutely going to be questioned and I would expect huge losses to be announced when those accounts are announced. They lost something approaching 350M over the last four seasons prior to this and the spending has gone up.

There's no way they are escaping a worse punishment than ours.
If course they will... they'll get a fine.. new rules will be announced that financial sanctions for financial breaches.. they'll announce a fine equivalent to the losses, and teams will have a period of time to get in order. Wait and see there's no way City and Chelsea get deducted points.

You can say all you want but the simple fact is 10 points is excessive. It's as simple as that.
Yes and no.
Yes, because no other club has suffered this fate.
No, because it now sets a suitable benchmark in terms of punishment.

If you set a 3 to 5 point benchmark, then some owners may decide that the punishment is worth the gamble. If 10pts is the minimum punishment going forward, it sets a firm tone... and frankly, I'm all for it. Clubs cannot keep losing over 100M every 3 years. It's not sustainable.

Evertonians who stick their head in the sand and fail to understand the current financial situation and then say other Evertonians are contemptible are disgraceful.
WTF are you saying here? The financial situation was NEVER the issue. Everton had at least 4 strong mitigating factors why they overspent and they were all sourced back to the PL's own doorstep.

Everton are not to blame here.

In any case, as I said, you and your attitude are the past mate. An irrelevancy. You represent no one.

We need to get a grip of these cowboy journalists going on national radio and spouting unchecked drivel.

State of this Draper here.

The compensation claim of that magnitude is absolute rubbish to be honest. It doesn’t make any logical sense.

In my mind, you can approach it in 3 ways.

Scenario 1, the points deducted are applied to the season in which the assessment was made. Which I believe is 21-22.

Minus 10 points in that season. That season we finished on 39 points. Taking 10 points from us would have left us on 29 points. Dropping two places below Leeds and Burnley (who were relegated). In that scenario, Leeds should be awarded compensation totalling the amount of lost revenue for finishing a place below where they would have. Burnley would be awarded compensation for the place below plus the estimated cost of relegation (c£85-100m) less the cost parachute payments received (£0 for Burnley I think as they were promoted straight away). To give context, Burnley’s total revenue that season was £123m of which £105m was from TV. That’s a hard cap for compensation. However, their revenue in the following season was £80m so the loss of relegation is most likely going to be closer to £25m.

In this scenario, compensation would be around £30m in total.

Scenario 2 would be that the points are split roughly equally over the assessment period. 3 points per season for 19/20, 20/21 and 4 points for 21/22. In that scenario we wouldn’t drop any places for 19/20 or 20/21 and the outcome for 21/22 would be exactly the same as for Scenario 1. Total compensation of around £30m.

Scenario 3 is more complex. It would be to remove our results from the table for the 21-22 season. That’s hard to calculate. You’d have to take points off people who beat us or drew with us and then calculate the league table from there.

if it was just for the final season, that would mean Burnley and Leeds would lose 3 points and 1 point respectively. Southampton and Villa would also lose 3 points a piece but the outcome would be the same. In that scenario, both Leeds and Burnley would get compensation for being a place higher, as would the bottom two clubs (effectively playing us bottom).

Total compensation would be £10m.

However that methodology is unlikely to be used as it could have implications across the table as teams above us beat us too. Would someone else win the league? Would someone else get CL. It’s also unlikely to be a route that either Leeds or Burnley would attempt as they would reduce their potential compensation.

Realistically, the only club that has a genuinely issue is Burnley and even then I believe £100m is way way off.

How leeds? I'd have thought they'd have the least chance.. even if we were docked 700 trillion points they'd still have gone down.
It's not about last season, it's about 2021-22.

Leeds could claim that if Everton had been docked 10 points for the season of the breach (2021-22 accounts) then they would have finished above Everton and therefore be worthy of more prize money.

Why Forest are trying to get involved is beyond me.

Yes and no.
Yes, because no other club has suffered this fate.
No, because it now sets a suitable benchmark in terms of punishment.

If you set a 3 to 5 point benchmark, then some owners may decide that the punishment is worth the gamble. If 10pts is the minimum punishment going forward, it sets a firm tone... and frankly, I'm all for it. Clubs cannot keep losing over 100M every 3 years. It's not sustainable.
Ha Ha ha.

FFS.

Get in the bin.

Evertonians who stick their head in the sand and fail to understand the current financial situation and then say other Evertonians are contemptible are disgraceful.
I wish there was some kind of project underway that will improve finances, then maybe the club could return to profit... knowing our luck we'd have a great income for naming rights lined up only for it to be ripped away by circumstances out of our control.

This can never be forgotten.

I said yesterday - and I'm right: this event politicises the fanbase of Everton for all time now. We've been set up to be taken down a blind alley and mugged by the game's establishment.

It can never go back to what it was. Our fans will never forgive or forget what's been done to their club.
A life long tradition of booing the PL anthem

I suppose one way they'll be looking to take the sting of anger and protests out of the fans would be to hand Everton some very favourable decisions on the pitch and get us out of the relegation zone as early as possible - and then return to the usual abysmal decisions we face.

These protests have to be regardless of position in the table. They have to be every game home and away until the season's end.

Just keep hammering that corrupt line in chants and banners all the time no matter what.

The 'product' getting beamed around the world to their global customers has to be the audience. Hit these corrupt scumbags where it hurts them.
Good post D but wouldn't put it past the PL to somehow avoid televising our games especially at home.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back