Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Accepting where we are

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sunderland fans accepted the same and now they are staring down the barrel of a double relegation. If we don't make our voices heard the board and Walsh will take us for a ride.

The players we're linked with and the way we do things all make much more sense once you just accept it. We get angry about the players we're linked with going elsewhere because we've convinced ourselves that they were attainable, when in reality we were never in with a shout.

It's why the rumours about Simeone and Mourinho being potential candidates at different stages for the job are laughed at by other fans and openly mocked in the media, because there's not a chance it would happen, we don't have the stature to make those kinds of deals happen.

We've been taken over by a billionaire at a time when the TV money is so high that even clubs that were previously paupers can lash big fees at average players, the ship has well and truly sailed and we don't employ people with a good enough alternative strategy to get us out of this, because unlike a few years ago throwing millions at signings won't do it, because those millions don't get you the quality they used to.

People were actually crying when we paid 45m for Iceland.

"Sign somebody Everton, spend money"
"FFS Everton, why did you spend so much money on that player"

I accept the fact that we are where and what we are right now, but I'll never accept that's the best we can ever be.
Exactly. We need to correct the slide this season but in the summer I will expect things to turn around. Maybe not going out and buying lots of world class players but a progressive manager who can attract top youngsters, who we can off wages similar to the elite clubs and game time which they can't.

That will allow us to build a sustainable way.

Plus movement on the stadium.

We overvalue individual players just as bad as them lot without seeing the glaringly obvious. None of them clearly can play in a team together, they just don't go. It's not even tactics, or motivation or who is in charge, the players as a team don't fit together.

So championing gueye for example ignores the fact none of the other cms play well alongside him. Rooney and siggurdson don't fit in the team together, it's all over the pitch. But instead of noticing this and, in the spirit of the thread, accepting it and wanting change, we all continue to think these players who may well be good individually just need a slight tweak or a different manager to get the best out of them.

The team isn't very good because we haven't got a team, we have a bunch of players who act like they have only just met and therefore can't set each other up anywhere near the other box. We should all realise and accept this and see that as being the root cause of our issues this season.

And look at these 2 utter fruitcakes @LiamG and @Boss_Rarkley thinking that if you channel positive energy into the club weally, weally hard it wont make us a basket case.

We should just burn our season tickets, bring our kids up as reds and call it a day then and watch the club as it fades into being another bottom half club whilst the big boys move further and further away.

Deary me our fanbase really do deserve everything they get.

As the season has progressed I've began to just kind of accept where we are and what we now are as a football club.

We hear all these arguments about whether we're still a big club or not, some base that on fan base, others on trophies won in recent history and others on trophies won in the clubs history as a whole. However what you can't dispute is that we're now a very mediocre club, run in a very mediocre way and we've fallen so far behind clubs who we once considered our rivals that it's frightening.

If you looked at the goings on at another club, say West Ham as an example and saw them bring in Steve Walsh, followed by Allardyce (which they obviously have done), Sammy Lee and Craig Shakespeare we'd have absolutely pissed ourselves but it wouldn't have come as a surprise. We now find ourselves in the position where that's the best we can attract, our players are cherry picked by the top clubs and we aren't a big enough pull to attract players that will haul us back to where we want to be.

So, it saddens me to say that I've accepted what we are as it stands, a poor mid table premier league club which doesn't look like an attractive proposition to the players we need to help us progress, one where the best youth players will be sold off to balance the books, or simply because they request to leave as silverware at Everton is unlikely.

Anyway, there'd be far less angst if we just kind of accepted where we are and stopped trying to pretend we're still something we're not, stop with the utter delusion that pours out of a good number of us. I still have hope that one day we'll get back to the top of English football, but for the time being and with the staff the club currently chose to employ I've put any of those thoughts to the back of my mind.
This perfectly sums up where I am with the club mate, I don't get upset when we get beat. Thirty years of the club showing no ambition and players not giving a stuff, have worn me down. I thought the period in the seventies where we were in a slump was bad, but this is worse on so many levels. I'm actually beginning to hate football when we're involved, and that worries me greatly.

The problem isn't confidence. It is a mixture of them being not good enough and not assed.

Too many highly paid mercenaries wanting one final big paycheck.
Not sure I agree with that.

When a player walks out onto a pitch in front of tens of thousands of people. I don't think their first thought is how much they have earned this week. I think that generally players want to perform well, they want the applause and appreciation from the fans. They want cheers rather than jeers as they walk from the pitch.
I absolutely do agree with you that some players can lose their edge and bite as their careers move on but I don't believe that our players are any worse or better than players at other clubs.

I think a few good results and more importantly some good performances and we would be looking at players unrecognisable from the ones we see at present and that is where leadership on the field becomes important and that is something we are lacking.
Leadership more than anything was lost with the departure of Barry and the injury to Coleman and Rooney apart I am not sure that in all the money that was spent in the summer I don't see many leaders.

Not sure I agree with that.

When a player walks out onto a pitch in front of tens of thousands of people. I don't think their first thought is how much they have earned this week. I think that generally players want to perform well, they want the applause and appreciation from the fans. They want cheers rather than jeers as they walk from the pitch.
I absolutely do agree with you that some players can lose their edge and bite as their careers move on but I don't believe that our players are any worse or better than players at other clubs.

I think a few good results and more importantly some good performances and we would be looking at players unrecognisable from the ones we see at present and that is where leadership on the field becomes important and that is something we are lacking.
Leadership more than anything was lost with the departure of Barry and the injury to Coleman and Rooney apart I am not sure that in all the money that was spent in the summer I don't see many leaders.
We signed a whole bunch of other teams captains who are supposed to be leaders...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back