Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Accepting where we are

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that the players at the club are capable of more than we have seen so far.

I do believe that we have players badly underperforming through a lack of confidence but that they are capable of far better.

I will exclude the youngsters as it is unfair to expect them to be the ones to carry a struggling team and in fact we have seen the good form of some of them and their confidence been eroded in recent weeks. However for the future Kenny, Holgate, Davies, Baningime, DCL, Lookman and Vlasic offer real hope.

The arrival of Tosun has certainly helped fill a glaring gap in the team, the arrival of Walcott certainly would add pace. The return of Coleman apart from pace and football ability will bring leadership to the team, a trait that at present I don't see apart from possibly Rooney.

We are not so much short of talent as we are desperately short of leaders and when RK signed players in the summer that doesn't seem to have been a consideration which is ironic from a man who was a leader in every team he played.

As the season has progressed I've began to just kind of accept where we are and what we now are as a football club.

We hear all these arguments about whether we're still a big club or not, some base that on fan base, others on trophies won in recent history and others on trophies won in the clubs history as a whole. However what you can't dispute is that we're now a very mediocre club, run in a very mediocre way and we've fallen so far behind clubs who we once considered our rivals that it's frightening.

If you looked at the goings on at another club, say West Ham as an example and saw them bring in Steve Walsh, followed by Allardyce (which they obviously have done), Sammy Lee and Craig Shakespeare we'd have absolutely pissed ourselves but it wouldn't have come as a surprise. We now find ourselves in the position where that's the best we can attract, our players are cherry picked by the top clubs and we aren't a big enough pull to attract players that will haul us back to where we want to be.

So, it saddens me to say that I've accepted what we are as it stands, a poor mid table premier league club which doesn't look like an attractive proposition to the players we need to help us progress, one where the best youth players will be sold off to balance the books, or simply because they request to leave as silverware at Everton is unlikely.

Anyway, there'd be far less angst if we just kind of accepted where we are and stopped trying to pretend we're still something we're not, stop with the utter delusion that pours out of a good number of us. I still have hope that one day we'll get back to the top of English football, but for the time being and with the staff the club currently chose to employ I've put any of those thoughts to the back of my mind.

Is right Bungoo.

We are a terrible shambles and have been pretty much since we last won the league.

I've realised recently that there's a split between our supporters.
  1. Those that have seen us win things.
  2. Those that haven't.
Younger supporters (myself included) were brought up watching the likes of Alex Nyarako, Scott Gemmill, Mark Pembridge, Alessandro Pistone, Steve Watson, Marcus Bent, Lee Carsley, Kevin Kilbane, David Weir, Tim Howard, Alan Stubbs, and many other - whereas the older ones remember when we played the most scintillating football in the country.

I know exactly where we are as a club, as it has always been like that for me.

The older generation is still coming to terms, despite the fact we've had 20-odd years of it.

Finally somebody gets it.

There was a post yesterday in the transfer thread questioning why the top clubs were going for top players and we werent, its amazing how people dont realise we are an utterly nothing club.

When we take the pitch on a Saturday the other team dont care that we won a few pots 30 years ago, 30 years ago was the last time we could call ourselves a big club, these days we are simply a Premiership version of Villa, Leeds or Wednesday.

COYB

Amazingly, for a man who liked to downplay our chances of success at every turn, it's David Moyes' fault our expectations are so high. We're a badly run mid-table club, run marginally better than those below us

Pound for pound, we're a disgracefully run club compared to those below us.

Never mind hoe the club is run, it's the bleeding players on the pitch that are useless.
Coming back to Bungle's starter, is exactly why I call for getting rid of the old has beens and start rebuilding with our young players.

I think that the players at the club are capable of more than we have seen so far.

I do believe that we have players badly underperforming through a lack of confidence but that they are capable of far better.

I will exclude the youngsters as it is unfair to expect them to be the ones to carry a struggling team and in fact we have seen the good form of some of them and their confidence been eroded in recent weeks. However for the future Kenny, Holgate, Davies, Baningime, DCL, Lookman and Vlasic offer real hope.

The arrival of Tosun has certainly helped fill a glaring gap in the team, the arrival of Walcott certainly would add pace. The return of Coleman apart from pace and football ability will bring leadership to the team, a trait that at present I don't see apart from possibly Rooney.

We are not so much short of talent as we are desperately short of leaders and when RK signed players in the summer that doesn't seem to have been a consideration which is ironic from a man who was a leader in every team he played.
The problem isn't confidence. It is a mixture of them being not good enough and not assed.

Too many highly paid mercenaries wanting one final big paycheck.

I would be totally apathetic toward matters Everton ( they are now an irrelevant, ‘make up the numbers’ entity).
But I am not totally apathetic because I genuinely believe the useless bunch of bottlers who represent us might get us relegated...and I can not remain indifferent to that prospect.

My children are Evertonians but it is a very ho-hum relationship for them. It’s become the same for me.

Unfortunately, reality must always ultimately be accepted: Everton are a nice club, the people’s club, the community club...but when it comes to football, Everton are losers.

There was a post yesterday in the transfer thread questioning why the top clubs were going for top players and we werent, its amazing how people dont realise we are an utterly nothing club.

When we take the pitch on a Saturday the other team dont care that we won a few pots 30 years ago, 30 years ago was the last time we could call ourselves a big club, these days we are simply a Premiership version of Villa, Leeds or Wednesday.

COYB
10 years ago before City and Spurs we would have been considered a bigger club than them. Comfortably best of the rest behind the sky 4.

It is because of lack of investment and mismanagement we have now slipped to mid table mediocrity.

Like those teams you mentioned we may even slip farther down if we accept where we are. There's nothing worse than a club with zero ambition.

COYB

The players we're linked with and the way we do things all make much more sense once you just accept it. We get angry about the players we're linked with going elsewhere because we've convinced ourselves that they were attainable, when in reality we were never in with a shout.

It's why the rumours about Simeone and Mourinho being potential candidates at different stages for the job are laughed at by other fans and openly mocked in the media, because there's not a chance it would happen, we don't have the stature to make those kinds of deals happen.

We've been taken over by a billionaire at a time when the TV money is so high that even clubs that were previously paupers can lash big fees at average players, the ship has well and truly sailed and we don't employ people with a good enough alternative strategy to get us out of this, because unlike a few years ago throwing millions at signings won't do it, because those millions don't get you the quality they used to.

10 years ago before City and Spurs we would have been considered a bigger club than them. Comfortably best of the rest behind the sky 4.

It is because of lack of investment and mismanagement we have now slipped to mid table mediocrity.

Like those teams you mentioned we may even slip farther down if we accept where we are. There's nothing worse than a club with zero ambition.

The club is showing ambition, but sadly the TOON ARMY fanbase think we should be buying Cavani and Draxler.

The sooner people accept that we are nearer the bottom then the top the more patient they will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back