Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Accepting where we are

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazingly, for a man who liked to downplay our chances of success at every turn, it's David Moyes' fault our expectations are so high. We're a badly run mid-table club, run marginally better than those below us

As the season has progressed I've began to just kind of accept where we are and what we now are as a football club.

We hear all these arguments about whether we're still a big club or not, some base that on fan base, others on trophies won in recent history and others on trophies won in the clubs history as a whole. However what you can't dispute is that we're now a very mediocre club, run in a very mediocre way and we've fallen so far behind clubs who we once considered our rivals that it's frightening.

If you looked at the goings on at another club, say West Ham as an example and saw them bring in Steve Walsh, followed by Allardyce (which they obviously have done), Sammy Lee and Craig Shakespeare we'd have absolutely pissed ourselves but it wouldn't have come as a surprise. We now find ourselves in the position where that's the best we can attract, our players are cherry picked by the top clubs and we aren't a big enough pull to attract players that will haul us back to where we want to be.

So, it saddens me to say that I've accepted what we are as it stands, a poor mid table premier league club which doesn't look like an attractive proposition to the players we need to help us progress, one where the best youth players will be sold off to balance the books, or simply because they request to leave as silverware at Everton is unlikely.

Anyway, there'd be far less angst if we just kind of accepted where we are and stopped trying to pretend we're still something we're not, stop with the utter delusion that pours out of a good number of us. I still have hope that one day we'll get back to the top of English football, but for the time being and with the staff the club currently chose to employ I've put any of those thoughts to the back of my mind.

I agree with practically every word you say but I am far too long in the tooth to just be accepting of also ran status in perpetuity.

Bad and all as things are at the moment, I will continue to believe that it is only for now.

And that a day will come when Everton will rise again ;)

This is a bad moment, but not to the degree where we can not aim for 7th in a 6 team league, next year, and go again.

Moyes walked into a club that had Ginola and his beer gut in the changing rooms. Morale gone. Whether you liked him or not, he (initially) brought freshness and vigour and I liked the "People's Club" moniker, it changed our identity from being strugglers and past-it as a club.

Another manager can do that again, provided all the other things are right too.

I do believe we are only a few more poor decisions away from permanently falling adrift of those clubs but I don't think that point has been reached yet.

Liverpool had to appoint Roy Hodgson, get Dalglish out of retirement, and then appoint Brendan Rodgers. He did not turn out to be a disaster but none of those appointments, made in recent history, were of the world-class variety that they would claim to be able to attract, always.

Spurs are settled but have had as many managers as hot dinners. They were a shambles when they turned to Redknapp to bail them out.

For all the brouhaha, what pots have either of them won recently??? I expect Spurs to qualify for UCL again but the reality is that they won't keep Kane for a great deal longer if he continues the form he is in. They might get a world record fee or close to it, but getting the money and spending it wisely are two different things. That type of windfall can be more of a blessing than a curse.

And then there is Arsenal. Paul Merson said on Sky on Saturday that they were in danger of turning into Everton. He had a point to a degree.

I accept where we are, and the relative unlikelihood of challenging at the VERY top level, but I still think we can at least try to break the top 6 stranglehold some time.

It will depend on BMD, I think that might serve as the image catalyst we need, but whether we can pull that off is open to debate.

As the season has progressed I've began to just kind of accept where we are and what we now are as a football club.

We hear all these arguments about whether we're still a big club or not, some base that on fan base, others on trophies won in recent history and others on trophies won in the clubs history as a whole. However what you can't dispute is that we're now a very mediocre club, run in a very mediocre way and we've fallen so far behind clubs who we once considered our rivals that it's frightening.

If you looked at the goings on at another club, say West Ham as an example and saw them bring in Steve Walsh, followed by Allardyce (which they obviously have done), Sammy Lee and Craig Shakespeare we'd have absolutely pissed ourselves but it wouldn't have come as a surprise. We now find ourselves in the position where that's the best we can attract, our players are cherry picked by the top clubs and we aren't a big enough pull to attract players that will haul us back to where we want to be.

So, it saddens me to say that I've accepted what we are as it stands, a poor mid table premier league club which doesn't look like an attractive proposition to the players we need to help us progress, one where the best youth players will be sold off to balance the books, or simply because they request to leave as silverware at Everton is unlikely.

Anyway, there'd be far less angst if we just kind of accepted where we are and stopped trying to pretend we're still something we're not, stop with the utter delusion that pours out of a good number of us. I still have hope that one day we'll get back to the top of English football, but for the time being and with the staff the club currently chose to employ I've put any of those thoughts to the back of my mind.

I do hate it when you write sensibly. I really do.

Hate agreeing with you even more.

Tit.

Here's a depressing thought. United earn more in 3 months from their stadium just on a matchday than we do for an entire 12 months of continual operation. If you add in the rest of their commercial activities then we look like total small fry. And the money all goes in their back pocket.

We're a mediocre side in a clapped out stadium unable to generate the revenue needed to be a top six side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back