2021/22 Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s all about timing really.
He came on when Southampton were tiring and we were on the up, attacking well and the crowd were behind us.
He made a simple header which was turned into a goal by great work from Doucoure.
He made a decent pass which was turned into a great cross and diving header.
He made a horrific attempt at scoring which was funny because we all saw it coming and we were already 3-1 up so nobody really cares at that point.

If it wasn’t for the class of Doucoure and Richy on the day then he doesn’t get an assist and a key pass and if it wasn’t for the team playing so well second half and us being 3-1 up then he would’ve been slaughtered for passing back to the keeper instead of hitting the net.

He had an impact though and that’s more than normal so good for him. I’m more hopeful that’s enough to attract a bid than I am of that being him kicking on and improving for us though.

Maximim has pace and acceleration which is unreal and deadly, always a threat unlike iwobi
Sotry, I wasn't comparing the two.

It was more the point Iwobi is laughed at because he looks out of control.

St Maximin gets raved over. I watched again yesterday, as you rightly say he has pace and acceleration. Sadly only about 10% of what he does is effective.

Sotry, I wasn't comparing the two.

It was more the point Iwobi is laughed at because he looks out of control.

St Maximin gets raved over. I watched again yesterday, as you rightly say he has pace and acceleration. Sadly only about 10% of what he does is effective.
Yeah but ASM got a great assist a few minutes in, smashing a cross over so he couldn’t miss. Whilst a lot of what he tries doesn’t come off (and he got caught in possession for the second equaliser if I remember rightly) he will strike a lot of fear into a defence by driving at pace even if he’s erratic. I don’t think any premier league defender is scared of Iwobi coming at them.

as per whoscored.com, in 21 minutes, he had seven passes and completed six of them.

These were not backpasses or meaningless ping-pongs at the back; they were all in forward areas, in traffic, during buildup.

He put smart passes through tight areas in dangerous attacking situations.

If James did that we'd be rapturous.

His shot was terrible, it must be said.

Yeah but ASM got a great assist a few minutes in, smashing a cross over so he couldn’t miss. Whilst a lot of what he tries doesn’t come off (and he got caught in possession for the second equaliser if I remember rightly) he will strike a lot of fear into a defence by driving at pace even if he’s erratic. I don’t think any premier league defender is scared of Iwobi coming at them.
Sigh.

Again...... I wasn't comparing the two. They are clearly very different players.

ASM is a strange way to spell Bolasie

"Whilst a lot of what he tries doesn’t come off (and he got caught in possession for the second equaliser if I remember rightly) he will strike a lot of fear into a defence by driving at pace even if he’s erratic"

It’s all about timing really.
He came on when Southampton were tiring and we were on the up, attacking well and the crowd were behind us.
He made a simple header which was turned into a goal by great work from Doucoure.
He made a decent pass which was turned into a great cross and diving header.
He made a horrific attempt at scoring which was funny because we all saw it coming and we were already 3-1 up so nobody really cares at that point.

If it wasn’t for the class of Doucoure and Richy on the day then he doesn’t get an assist and a key pass and if it wasn’t for the team playing so well second half and us being 3-1 up then he would’ve been slaughtered for passing back to the keeper instead of hitting the net.

He had an impact though and that’s more than normal so good for him. I’m more hopeful that’s enough to attract a bid than I am of that being him kicking on and improving for us though.
How very biased this appraisal is.

Usually it's "he can't even pass forward or do anything..." and then when he comes on and actually does well and positively affects the game the narrative becomes "if it wasn't for... He wouldn't have done...".

If my aunty had bollocks etc. He DID well. Let's just afford him some faint praise ffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.