2023/24 Amadou Onana

Status
Not open for further replies.
£60mill !!! Good money. Sell him before they change their minds.

i'd hold out for 70 especially in a mid-season window

You've literally got two posters highlighting that statistically he more than matches up with Rodri for City.

Is Rodri at 5 years older worth less than Onana ?

I bet City value Rodri far higher than £60-70mil. Bewildering seeing these numbers thrown around by posters.

You've literally got two posters highlighting that statistically he more than matches up with Rodri for City.

I bet City value Rodri far higher than £60-70mil. Bewildering seeing these numbers thrown around by posters.
It’s more bewildering that he gets mentioned in sentences with top top players like Rodri, Viera, Toure. He’s played in the same league as them and that’s as far as any comparison goes. 23 this year so still got at least another 3 more seasons to get to them heights and it’s possible but early signs for me as of now say he’s not even close to being mentioned in the same breath as them.

Rodri scores thunderblasters for city I’ve yet to see Onana have a decent attempt on target with his foot

Only Defensively, in every other area hes miles away.

Rodri is on another level.

Not using this as a stick to beat Onana, hes young, so not expecting him to be as good as Rodri, but.

555555555.webp

Last edited:
It's literally the odd player though. Championship has good players but most are becoming too expensive now for us imo.
Jordan James seemed worth a punt at the money they are talking about him leaving Birmingham city to Atalanta.
Pointless selling now, we won't reinvest it all,.we'll end up with some panic by at Inflated prices. We need him this season
I think he is a good player but if the big money offer comes in we should take it if it stops us getting a points deduction.

It’s more bewildering that he gets mentioned in sentences with top top players like Rodri, Viera, Toure. He’s played in the same league as them and that’s as far as any comparison goes. 23 this year so still got at least another 3 more seasons to get to them heights and it’s possible but early signs for me as of now say he’s not even close to being mentioned in the same breath as them.

Riddle me this, how would any of those players have done at 20-22 for a team on the threshold of relegation?

Rodri scores thunderblasters for city I’ve yet to see Onana have a decent attempt on target with his foot

Yes, thats precisely how to judge a defensive midfielder.

Only Defensively, in every other area hes miles away.

Rodri is on another level.

Not using this as a stick to beat Onana, hes young, so not expecting him to be as good as Rodri, but.

View attachment 241137

No arguments from me there. He is of course in his prime (5 years older) and plays for City so naturally his stats should be far superior in every metric.

Defensively though, if as you say a player is outperforming another while being in a far worse team (and thus more consistent pressure against them) that has to be impressive.

We dont know where he may end up but the links over the past year to United, Chelsea, Newcastle and more recently Barcelona and Arsenal are quite interesting...

...some posters should take note of how superior teams have an interest. Not how quickly we can sell such a player.

Agreed completely

Is lavia £53 mil at 19 and caicedo £115mil at their level ?

Pointless selling now, we won't reinvest it all,.we'll end up with some panic by at Inflated prices. We need him this season

You're looking at this from a footballing point of view, unfortunately there will likely be other considerations here.

The club is spending about £20m per month on interest payments and construction costs - we sold Anthony Gordon last January for about £40m because Newcastle agreed to pay the full amount up front - it's no coincidence that not a penny of this money was reinvested into the squad.

Regardless of what happens with the 777 takeover, we still need to find somewhere in the region of £20m per month to fulfil our obligations for the foreseeable future and we don't generate anything like that - there is a funding gap for the stadium and, until that is properly addressed, the club will need to find ways to plug that gap. Onana is merely the latest way of temporarily papering over the issue - the fact he's being strongly linked with a move away and we are being linked with a loan move for Hannibal is probably no coincidence,

Stats can prove anything you want them to prove, is there any fan on here who thinks Onana is anyway near as good as Rodri?

Riddle me this, how would any of those players have done at 20-22 for a team on the threshold of relegation?

Yes, thats precisely how to judge a defensive midfielder.

No arguments from me there. He is of course in his prime (5 years older) and plays for City so naturally his stats should be far superior in every metric.

Defensively though, if as you say a player is outperforming another while being in a far worse team (and thus more consistent pressure against them) that has to be impressive.

We dont know where he may end up but the links over the past year to United, Chelsea, Newcastle and more recently Barcelona and Arsenal are quite interesting...

...some posters should take note of how superior teams have an interest. Not how quickly we can sell such a player.
Your last line: have there been any bids? Not sure. Has there been plenty of paper talk about other clubs being interested? Yes loads of paper talk by reporters on a slack day with nothing better to do.

Am I missing something here? Why the furore around Onana suddenly? Our squad is threadbare and we're utilising two loans fairly regular (Harrison & Danjuma) and have Beto signed on tick until the summer. A patchwork side with very little depth of any quality. We can't afford to turn down phantom crazy-high bids for our players at the same time we can't afford to weaken our side any further. Typical catch 22 with Everton.

But no ones mentioned them at 20-22 so it’s silly to make the comparison. A prime rodri or Onana I know who I’m picking every day of the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back