2023/24 Amadou Onana

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that's probably based on Onana wanting to move on, and possibly us wanting to move him on too.
Id guess 90% of our fans talk about him like he is moving on too!

Not a conspiracy, just people who have no real affiliation for Everton, not really caring!
Doesn't have to be a conspiracy, they just keep putting Everton down as opposed to brown-nosing the top six.

Price isn't always a guide to quality.
True enough, any thing is only worth what somebody's prepared to pay for it.
Value for money though will be apparent further down the road - if anybody actually buys him...and gets a £60M tune out of him.

I contend we have not, in any consistant manner, had even a £30M tune out of all his potential

In fairness, he's been moving on since the day he arrived - and I think we've always been pretty cool with that, haven't we?
Yes of course, but Tyldesley didn't need to mention it before we have even received a bid. It was the condescension towards Evertonians that struck me, as if we are in denial about the club's current status.

He even went on to mention one of the Slovakians had scored against us whilst at Watford - again just a matter of fact but had nothing to do with the game he was watching. I think he may have had some bruising encounters with Blues on the socials, because he never misses a chance to get little digs in.

True enough, any thing is only worth what somebody's prepared to pay for it.
Value for money though will be apparent further down the road - if anybody actually buys him...and gets a £60M tune out of him.

I contend we have not, in any consistant manner, had even a £30M tune out of all his potential

This is pretty much spot on! I understand the arguments for potential, better playing environments, better suited to other teams........but, Onana has only shown on a few occasions he is anything more than a mid table Premier League footballer!
I really like him when he is on his game! Looks top quality, but that's not often enough! That's what tends to separate the best players from others....consistency to be able to do it as much as possible!

He's a gamble for anyone, are clubs prepared to pay £50m -£60m for someone who isn't a guarantee?

Yes of course, but Tyldesley didn't need to mention it before we have even received a bid. It was the condescension towards Evertonians that struck me, as if we are in denial about the club's current status.

He even went on to mention one of the Slovakians had scored against us whilst at Watford - again just a matter of fact but had nothing to do with the game he was watching. I think he may have had some bruising encounters with Blues on the socials, because he never misses a chance to get little digs in.
That will be because that was his only goal in English football, something he can give to an English audience!

Rice is a fantastic player, you won’t get a load of Arsenal fans saying he doesn’t offer enough and he wouldn’t be dropped for their crucial end of season games.
He's very good but his ability on the ball is massively overrated. He's the type of midfielder English people love undoubtedly. I think Arsenal actually played better football with Xhaka in the team though.

That will be because that was his only goal in English football, something he can give to an English audience!
You are being far too evenhanded about this. Tyldesley is a toad, and one of the main reasons I no longer listen to commentaries in general, in fact I don't know why I put up with him for so long last night. I went back to silent mode for the second half.

This is pretty much spot on! I understand the arguments for potential, better playing environments, better suited to other teams........but, Onana has only shown on a few occasions he is anything more than a mid table Premier League footballer!
I really like him when he is on his game! Looks top quality, but that's not often enough! That's what tends to separate the best players from others....consistency to be able to do it as much as possible!

He's a gamble for anyone, are clubs prepared to pay £50m -£60m for someone who isn't a guarantee?
Average players have the odd good game
Good players have the odd average game

Yes when the upside is as high as it is with Onana

He's very good but his ability on the ball is massively overrated. He's the type of midfielder English people love undoubtedly. I think Arsenal actually played better football with Xhaka in the team though.
If you’re basing his on ball ability on what he does with Everton you aren’t seeing anywhere near what he could be capable of.

If you’re basing his on ball ability on what he does with Everton you aren’t seeing anywhere near what he could be capable of.
I just don't know how to evaluate it. He gets the ball, motors forward into space, then doesn't know what to do with it.

You can argue that's because all the options are bad, and he has to make a quick decision. If that's the case, though, I would expect him to let it fly from the edge of the box like Demarai Gray, and that doesn't work for him either.

There's a player in there, but no one seems to know how to let it out.

I just don't know how to evaluate it. He gets the ball, motors forward into space, then doesn't know what to do with it.

You can argue that's because all the options are bad, and he has to make a quick decision. If that's the case, though, I would expect him to let it fly from the edge of the box like Demarai Gray, and that doesn't work for him either.

There's a player in there, but no one seems to know how to let it out.
I think he'll be the same as Gordon who has proved extremely good value for Newcastle. Having the raw materials is the key thing for a young player and Onana has them all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back