2023/24 Amadou Onana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its because in your mind you want him to be an attacking midfielder or a playmaker as well as being defensive.

Hes purely a DM anchor being used out of position as both Lampard & Dyche have stated -- "To improve his alll round game".

United want a DM as do the other top sides. He's in demand.

Evertonians want him to be a box box player & Playmaker & whatever else he isnt.
Oh, is that what I think?

I hadn't realised.

Its because in your mind you want him to be an attacking midfielder or a playmaker as well as being defensive.

Hes purely a DM anchor being used out of position as both Lampard & Dyche have stated -- "To improve his alll round game".

United want a DM as do the other top sides. He's in demand.

Evertonians want him to be a box box player & Playmaker & whatever else he isnt.

Why? Its a low fee.
Transfer fees are inflated and yes Onana is still young. But 50m I would accept straight away. Apart from his great recovery tackles and a threat at set pieces he has not convinced me there is a world class player in there

£30m cost when we bought him and on a 5 year deal so 18m left on the book cost. Has played 72 times for us so I think we have had good value from him if we sell for 50m as touted around.

He will go on to be an excellent player I think

Just mulling over if we sell Onana for £50m, I wonder how successful the club would view his transfer.
His fee was reported to be £33 inc add ons (no telling what they could have been or if they’ve been met)
His wages were a sticking point for WHAM, opening the door to us, these again were reported to be £120k/week.
So assuming worst case he will have cost us
£33m plus £12.5m = £45.5 m or so at point of sale.

Lille are due a nominal 15% or £2.5m on the ‘profit’ of a £50m sale.
Unless he slings in a transfer request he will also be due a loyalty payment when sold I would imagine.

So his over all liability to the club would have been £48m or so, probably a bit lower as I’ve assumed top whack where figures aren’t concrete.

With the club paying that sort of transfer and wages to a 20 year old, I suspect they were gambling on his value going even higher. So while his transfer was great compared to some of our recent activity, it don’t think it can be viewed as wildly successful.
If my calcs are wrong, it’s because I had 8 pints of Estralla and a bottle of cava last night.

Last edited:
I like Onana, but, I don't think he wants to be here, I think he has his mind set on a move this summer. Can't say I blame him, but, we must get a good fee for him and stand fast on Branthwaite, he should stay for another season.
I agree, I think he’s always had a plan in mind, and tbf so far he’s been completely professional so would go with my blessing for the right fee.
I don’t think he will be hugely difficult to replace either, whether that’s because he’s no suited to Dycheball or whether it’s because he’s not equipped to excel in the prem, time will tell I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.