2023/24 Amadou Onana

Status
Not open for further replies.
not fussed on him whatsoever
Talents there but he doesn’t have the minerals or desire to do it everton and be the leader in midfield we need his next move will determine his career
Wish him good luck get our money back and move on nothing lost and a marginal profit

I don’t see him shining in the premier league regardless who he plays for he’s more suited to a slower game serie a writ all over him

IMO

Just mulling over if we sell Onana for £50m, I wonder how successful the club would view his transfer.
His fee was reported to be £33 inc add ons (no telling what they could have been or if they’ve been met)
His wages were a sticking point for WHAM, opening the door to us, these again were reported to be £120k/week.
So assuming worst case he will have cost us
£33m plus £12.5m = £45.5 m or so at point of sale.

Lille are due a nominal 15% or £2.5m on the ‘profit’ of a £50m sale.
Unless he slings in a transfer request he will also be due a loyalty payment when sold I would imagine.

So his over all liability to the club would have been £48m or so, probably a bit lower as I’ve assumed top whack where figures aren’t concrete.

With the club paying that sort of transfer and wages to a 20 year old, I suspect they were gambling on his value going even higher. So while his transfer was great compared to some of our recent activity, it don’t think it can be viewed as wildly successful.
If my calcs are wrong, it’s because I had 8 pints of Estralla and a bottle of cava last night.
Agree not wildly successful, but definitely successful on balance. Minor profit and played in the vast majority of the games he was available for, 70ish appearances in 2 seasons.

not fussed on him whatsoever
Talents there but he doesn’t have the minerals or desire to do it everton and be the leader in midfield we need his next move will determine his career
Wish him good luck get our money back and move on nothing lost and a marginal profit

I don’t see him shining in the premier league regardless who he plays for he’s more suited to a slower game serie a writ all over him

IMO

I think he’d boss it at Arsenal next to Rice to be honest.

Onana divides opinion because the gap between his best and worst is so wide. Given where we are right now we need someone who is 6.5/10 every week with the odd 7.5 rather than someone who can be 2 or 9. If he adds consistency as he gains experience he will be a monster but some players never do. That makes him a disposable luxury for us this window but if one day he is dominating for a CL winner it would not be a total shock to me.

Onana divides opinion because the gap between his best and worst is so wide. Given where we are right now we need someone who is 6.5/10 every week with the odd 7.5 rather than someone who can be 2 or 9. If he adds consistency as he gains experience he will be a monster but some players never do. That makes him a disposable luxury for us this window but if one day he is dominating for a CL winner it would not be a total shock to me.
We definitely have the luxury of disposing of useful footballers since we have so many

I think he was below mediocre.

We could have had someone who was actually decent for that money.

The only thing he'll be remembered for is THAT penalty.

True dat.

Kevin Mirallas was a very good player for us over a good few years but the first thing comes to my mind when I think of him is that penalty he stole from Rom.

Think it's just a % of the profit we make over 35m which isn't too bad. So if we sell him for 50m it will be around 3m to Lille
I’d take £36m all day long, the truth is no one will actually come in and pay more than we paid, all this paper talk is clickbait. If any decent scout has watched him then they k is the score, worst midfielder we had last season.

I disagree. I think his problem is that he's a consistent 6/10. Rarely do we see his best and rarely does he have a total stinker. He just doesn't do enough on or off the ball.

That's made clearer when you see a 33 year old Gana turning in MotM performances fairly regularly.

I’d take £36m all day long, the truth is no one will actually come in and pay more than we paid, all this paper talk is clickbait. If any decent scout has watched him then they k is the score, worst midfielder we had last season.

I think we'll get about 50m/52m mate, just for potential alone.

For what we paid for him, id say there's only ever been fleeting moments and the odd performance where he's looked like a 30m+ midfielder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back