2023/24 Amadou Onana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well i will go with my eyes and say he was decent enough but far from awesome.
What more did he need to do for you?

I ask because it seems like every time I see people criticize Onana it’s like “well he didn’t smash one in from 35 yards out, thread through any perfect passes or clear the goal they scored off the line.” Exaggeration obviously, but if you’re just evaluating him on doing his job he’s done it at a very high level, especially against France.

He was awesome for Belgium playing in a team that attempted to move the ball and stay on the front foot at times. It is very clear why we don’t see that for Everton.

Bringing up a missed penalty says it all though, you’re not evaluating him objectively because you don’t like him on a personal level.
I don't know him on a personal level...my evaluation of him as Footballer is he's very average,can make decent tackle,a lot of sideways passing.

What more did he need to do for you?

I ask because it seems like every time I see people criticize Onana it’s like “well he didn’t smash one in from 35 yards out, thread through any perfect passes or clear the goal they scored off the line.” Exaggeration obviously, but if you’re just evaluating him on doing his job he’s done it at a very high level, especially against France.
He played a lot of easy sideways and backwards passes. Nowhere have i ever asked him to smash 35 yarders in. He was functional without doing anything outstanding in the tournament and if that qualifies as awesome to you then fine but i disagree.

He played a lot of easy sideways and backwards passes. Nowhere have i ever asked him to smash 35 yarders in. He was functional without doing anything outstanding in the tournament and if that qualifies as awesome to you then fine but i disagree.
People will try to give Jorginho the ballon D’or and then when a guy does it while also breaking up play at a high level say he needs to do more.

I’d love for Onana to be the best midfielder ever but I’ll also say someone who wins the ball back, shields the backline well, keeps possession well under pressure and still on enough occasions finds ways to get the ball forward is a high level player.

People will try to give Jorginho the ballon D’or and then when a guy does it while also breaking up play at a high level say he needs to do more.

I’d love for Onana to be the best midfielder ever but I’ll also say someone who wins the ball back, shields the backline well, keeps possession well under pressure and still on enough occasions finds ways to get the ball forward is a high level player.
I think we are watching 2 different players mate. I will leave it there.

I think we are watching 2 different players mate. I will leave it there.
I mean I go back to people seeing what they want to some extent. I just think in the Everton bubble the expectations have to be something that isn’t realistic. It’s hard to square the outside world seeing him as a top prospect worth well more than what we paid and probably worth the investment from some top club while we’re in here haggling over whether he’s even worth what we paid or better than James Garner.

If you were staring forward at Doucoure, you'd pass sideways and back too.

Wrong team and manager for him.

I mean I go back to people seeing what they want to some extent. I just think in the Everton bubble the expectations have to be something that isn’t realistic. It’s hard to square the outside world seeing him as a top prospect worth well more than what we paid and probably worth the investment from some top club while we’re in here haggling over whether he’s even worth what we paid or better than James Garner.
Yet nobody is buying him? Every top club in Europe is interested supposedly so where are the bids and why is he still here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back