2023/24 Amadou Onana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I'm almost certain most of that money has gone on loan repayments.

Colour me stunned if we spend this 50m.
Agreed. Hopefully it gives us some cushion on our books. But I think this money won't be spent, and honestly, it probably shouldn't be given the state of our books

Yeah I'm almost certain most of that money has gone on loan repayments.

Colour me stunned if we spend this 50m.
If we assume that the Villa deals offset, then we've brought in something like 60m and spent like 15m.

So to break even on transfers, we could spend around 40 or 45m

That feels like a lot. I think we will spend but not that much. Unless we sell more players which is also very possible. Everyone inside their last 12 months should be actively up for sale right now.

If we assume that the Villa deals offset, then we've brought in something like 60m and spent like 15m.

So to break even on transfers, we could spend around 40 or 45m

That feels like a lot. I think we will spend but not that much. Unless we sell more players which is also very possible. Everyone inside their last 12 months should be actively up for sale right now.
I think we make more sales.

But I don't see us spending much.

I think we make more sales.

But I don't see us spending much.
Couple more players I think. Maybe 2 purchases and a loan. Depends who else is sold, although I will be shocked if there aren't more sales.

We definitely need more players and we need to see some of this money reinvested. Eventually you get relegated if you sell good players and don't spend the money.

But it needs to be priority signings. No big fees on players who aren't ready. No big fees on positions we are already strong. We need goals and until we fix that I really dont care about other positions.

Couple more players I think. Maybe 2 purchases and a loan. Depends who else is sold, although I will be shocked if there aren't more sales.

We definitely need more players and we need to see some of this money reinvested. Eventually you get relegated if you sell good players and don't spend the money.

But it needs to be priority signings. No big fees on players who aren't ready. No big fees on positions we are already strong. We need goals and until we fix that I really dont care about other positions.
Im afraid to say that if you want goals, we need a new manager.

But for now we have Dyche, so its another season built on the backs of Tarks and Branners.

Fully fit I don't think our squad - well starting 11 lacks quality per se, it just lacks certain elements to make the whole better.

If you go through each individual starter then they're decent enough and any of them I'd have in a team - but all together it's too much of the same strengths and flaws and missing elements.

Nobody with pace being a huge one, fullbacks who are very defensive now but without the singers to take advantage of less need for them to track back etc, a cf whose great in the air without any great crossers and who is simply not a good finisher. The list goes on.

But Tarks, Braithwaithe, Mykolenko (in a system with a very attacking left winger) Garner with a genuine holding mid next to him) DCL (with a genuine smart number ten behind) Pickford. McNeil (with a very attacking fullback his side), Gueye (with the freedom to just press and harass)

All those in the right system and with the right blend of players around are good players.

But we have say on the left two players who don't bring out the strength of the other, similar in central mid, same up front/number10.

Part of it's a legacy to so many managers and dofs, part of it is now financial.

Good summary mate, I think we have some good players and good honest pros and one or two I think are just a step or a trait missing from being elite - DCL and maybe McNeill, not a criticism just an observation.

The side as I say isn’t balanced, if you were to pick the most talented players in the team they are all defensively minded, JT, Branthwaite, Pickford, Argueably Idrissa, the further up the pitch you go, you are dropping below that elite level and that’s how the side is unbalanced.

It’s an Overall reflection of our financial situation - with attacking players being the most expensive and also the ones we sell as they are the ones other teams want. It’s knocked the overall balance off, where we have the conundrum of dominating games, but can’t hit a cows behind with a banjo for all the diminance. My hope this window is we rebalance that a degree as part of the process.

Not sure it’s the system per se, but the players or quality to enable the system.

Last edited:
Good summary mate, I think we have some good players and good honest pros and one of two I think are just a step or a trait missing from being elite - DCL and maybe McNeill, not a criticism just an observation.

The side as I say isn’t balanced, if you were to pick the most talented players in the team they are all defensively minded, JT, Branthwaite, Pickford, Argueably Idrissa, the further up the pitch you go, you are dropping below that elite level and that how the side unbalanced. Overall reflection of our financial situation - with attacking players being the most expensive and also the ones we sell as they are the ones other teams want. It’s knocked the overall balance off, where we have the conundrum of dominating games, but can’t hit a cows behind with a banjo for all the diminance. My hope this window is we rebalance that a degree as part of the process.

Not sure it’s the system per se, but the players or quality to enable the system.

I think a combination of both to answer your last point

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back