2023/24 Amadou Onana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems to me like someone with a definitive plan.
  • Went to Germany as a youngster when ze Germans were big news for talent development.(Hamburg)
  • Got a move to a bigger team / league and more exposure, 1st team footy. (Lille)
  • Got a move to the EPL for greater exposure & 1st team footy.
  • Got a move to an ‘entry level’ CL club for peak European comp exposure
  • If trajectory continues expect a move to an elite club in 2-3 years when he’s 24 / 25.
Admirable really when you think about it.
Big test for him now though or he’ll be stuck there for 5 years.

Said it before and I’ll say it again:

A good deal for all parties.

I genuinely think he’ll kick on in a better team and fulfil his promise more than he was able to, here. If he can, he’ll get CL footy and probably another, bigger move. Villa will have a good player (and probably a profit in a few years), and we’ve turned a pretty quick, pretty tidy profit that we sorely need.

Seems to me like someone with a definitive plan.
  • Went to Germany as a youngster when ze Germans were big news for talent development.(Hamburg)
  • Got a move to a bigger team / league and more exposure, 1st team footy. (Lille)
  • Got a move to the EPL for greater exposure & 1st team footy.
  • Got a move to an ‘entry level’ CL club for peak European comp exposure
  • If trajectory continues expect a move to an elite club in 2-3 years when he’s 24 / 25.
Admirable really when you think about it.
Big test for him now though or he’ll be stuck there for 5 years.
Yeah. Can see him moving on again in a couple of years (if possible). Rumours of a sell on clause are positive.

Question is whether he has the talent to get to an elite club.

Said it before and I’ll say it again:

A good deal for all parties.

I genuinely think he’ll kick on in a better team and fulfil his promise more than he was able to, here. If he can, he’ll get CL footy and probably another, bigger move. Villa will have a good player (and probably a profit in a few years), and we’ve turned a pretty quick, pretty tidy profit that we sorely need.

Hopefully the reports in a sell in are true mate.

@Zatara how devastated are you he’s gone
1- cheese on toast
10- been crying since the deal was confirmed?

10 because now it will become more challenging to tell who has no clue about midfield players.

I suppose i can instead look in the Gana thread and see reverse claims like how 5 great games forgives 33 poor ones. How running out of position is a good thing.

Wharton going to Palace for pocket change when most said hes crap has been another highlight.

….we still owe £35m on Onana, I expect circa £15m on a replacement.

So, we signed him for £33mil and now we owe £2mil more...

Have the same feelings as I did with Gordon, clearly a talented player but he needs quality around him to shine. Just hope we reinvest it.
100%. Villa have absolutely sprinted ahead of the likes of us in a very short time space of time - it's really quite incredible how we got it so wrong and they got it so right.

We literally went on two different paths at the same time, just they acted swiftly to get rid of Gerrard and go for an audacious move for Emery, and we dallied as usual, saw our position in the league get more perilous, and ended up with a 'safe' pair of hands in Dyche (albeit he's done a great job in the circumstances).

Onana will shine this season, and either he'll be regularly playing Champions League football for Villa the next two seasons or they'll sell him at a profit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.