2023/24 Amadou Onana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are Villa fans fuming about this, or is he the best thing since sliced bread?
Generally very happy as they have lost (or are losing) a lot of critical players - Douglas Luiz to Juventus for £42m, Diaby to Saudi for £50m, Duran to West Ham for £35-40m. Kamara still injured until December.

So they are accepting that they might have overpaid by £5-10m but it's worth it to bolster the first team.

Didn't "run around" enough.
'lacked effort' 'had a attitude problem' 'doesn't care' are the shouts i heared a lot. Absolutely zero evidence to back up those claims of course, other than a absolutely stupid pen but he was still getting unfair criticism way before that.

Why can't people simply say they don't rate him instead coming out with lies about someone who seems like a decent fella? I would say why but i'll get banned.

My take on Onana is that he’s not been as effective as a player as he should be and it doesn’t hurt the team that much when he’s not on the pitch.

Feels like he has all the tools but on closer inspection he’s lacking in a couple of key areas.

You feel he should get goals from midfield because of his qualities but he doesn’t have instincts. I don’t think he can become a 10.

As a 6 He’s good defensively in terms of winning duels and getting the ball back but again his defensive instincts in terms of positioning leaves me worried and I prefer to have Gueye on the pitch in this area.

As an 8 he should be able to use his passing and athleticism to get us up the pitch but he just doesn’t support his teammates by giving himself as an option and therefore drifts out of games.

For Belgium it’s the same, just lacks good instincts to be great in any of the midfield roles and I don’t think you can teach him that.

Seems to me like someone with a definitive plan.
  • Went to Germany as a youngster when ze Germans were big news for talent development.(Hamburg)
  • Got a move to a bigger team / league and more exposure, 1st team footy. (Lille)
  • Got a move to the EPL for greater exposure & 1st team footy.
  • Got a move to an ‘entry level’ CL club for peak European comp exposure
  • If trajectory continues expect a move to an elite club in 2-3 years when he’s 24 / 25.
Admirable really when you think about it.
Big test for him now though or he’ll be stuck there for 5 years.
or Villa could be an 'elite club' in the timescale.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back