Anil Ambani

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's what I said - they may not be hacking people's heads off with machetes and declaring martial law, but they exploit people. There is no 'clean' wealth, just varying levels of filthyness.

Well you cant make money without some poor sod having to suffer, but clearly there is varying levels of arseholeness, but as some1 else pointed out, there are lots of poor evil ppl, who will also do anything they can to make a living.

I'm happy to acknowledge that Thaksin was a tin pot dictator and Lerner isn't...and in fact has a great 'charidee' record etc etc. But the point is that Lerner exploited to get where he is too. He comes from a banking background and inherited his dad's company, and that company would have been built upon exploiting wage labour somewhere along the line: either directly or indirectly.

As I say, though, I understand the ethical concerns of others on the forum, but we're here to debate and discuss our football club on this forum and it just so happens that the industry it is in is going through an era when oligarchs and plutocrats have it by the scruff of the neck. You either accept that or take up needlepoint.

Where we going to be when all these billionaires take their money out of the game? Better or worse off?

Its a very worrying thought to some of us that if we did get some rich backer who gave us the money to compete with the big boys at the moment that while that would be good to be succesful, there would be nothing stoping said billionaire who got where he is today by being an unscrupulous asshole leaving the club up [Poor language removed] creek.

Maybe those worries are unfounded and everything will be rosy but you have to acknowledge them.

Be careful what you wish for etc etc.

Take the [Poor language removed] for instance. There is constant talk of the club being in big big trouble if they fail to make the champions league one year.

What really would happen if they didn't?

Last edited:
How much do clerks and tellers get? How expliotative are banks when they foreclose on someone's home? How ethical are they when they come to choosing where to invest other people's money in murderous regimes?

But that is the world we live in, mate. Big corporations, banks and financial institutions are bastards when it comes down to it. But there is evidence, which I can't be arsed searching for, which will show that these can be altruistic as well. Bill Gates would be a prime example of that. So whilst it is true that exploitation is the name of the game in a capitalist system, it is not always as straightforward as you make it sound. Some businesses are more ethical than others. If Everton decide to get into bed with a murderous regime then I'm pissed off. If we get into bed with a corporation that operates under law, at home and abroad, then I'm likely to live with that, even though I might well be critical of its worst aspects.

Where we going to be when all these billionaires take their money out of the game? Better or worse off?

Its a very worrying thought to some of us that if we did get some rich backer who gave us the money to compete with the big boys at the moment that while that would be good to be succesful, there would be nothing stoping said billionaire who got where he is today by being an unscrupulous asshole leaving the club up [Poor language removed] creek.

Maybe those worries are unfounded and everything will be rosy but you have to acknowledge them.

Take the [Poor language removed] for instance. There is constant talk of the club being in big big trouble if they fail to make the champions league one year.

None of what you say is wrong. I agree 100% about the risks involved. You stand on one side or the other of a fence regarding this: you either shout loudly 'when is it going to be our time to get the big bucks' - the initial investment and worry about the consequences later; or you say 'not for me' - I'd rather we just hunker down and accept our trophyless fate and wish a pox on the game as it is.

Me? I'm all for taking a chance.

football is an institution. maybe one club could swirly down the swanny, but if the entire prem table suddenly hit trouble and lets say 20 billionaires all suddenly jumped out of the game, then i suspect some legal types might spin something about bankruptcy and debt management. sort of similar to bates's cronies at leeds.

when clubs go to the wall in such a fashion, the asset strippers move in - which is why the david france collection not actually being owned by the club is such a good thing - some unscrupulous snide could chop it up and flog it.

who is it that keeps tabs on the real values of players in squads?

But that is the world we live in, mate. Big corporations, banks and financial institutions are bastards when it comes down to it. But there is evidence, which I can't be arsed searching for, which will show that these can be altruistic as well. Bill Gates would be a prime example of that. So whilst it is true that exploitation is the name of the game in a capitalist system, it is not always as straightforward as you make it sound. Some businesses are more ethical than others. If Everton decide to get into bed with a murderous regime then I'm pissed off. If we get into bed with a corporation that operates under law, at home and abroad, then I'm likely to live with that, even though I might well be critical of its worst aspects.

I know what you mean. Thaksin/DIC/Russian robber baron or Microsoft? You wouldn't go for the former option if you could avoid it. But dont forget that the likes of Microsoft and Google soft peddle on those types of regimes when they need to. Their hands are stained. I'm not looking to get into a big debate on political-economy. Just saying it's all relative at the end of the day.

None of what you say is wrong. I agree 100% about the risks involved. You stand on one side or the other of a fence regarding this: you either shout loudly 'when is it going to be our time to get the big bucks' - the initial investment and worry about the consequences later; or you say 'not for me' - I'd rather we just hunker down and accept our trophyless fate and wish a pox on the game as it is.

Me? I'm all for taking a chance.

Or you sit back waiting in the wings like we are now, wait a few years for the big boys to have their fun, then when they all get bored and the big 5 all face financial ruin and have to sell their best players we will come along and snap them up at bargain value and go on to win the league, all without selling our soul to the highest bidder.

Maybe. You wanna take a chance, fair enough. Me, i'd rather stay where we are. The lack of success will suck but i'll be damn glad of it when we are still where we are now and other clubs who took the risk are having to sell of their silverwear to raise funds to buy players who can get them out of the Championship.

But who knows!

Abromovitch's funding of Chelsea has been via loans from his own privately owned companies secured against the club's assets.

If he ever gets bored and calls them in they'll be left begging for enough sheets of bog paper to qualify for the Izal league.

In his defence it does appear that he actually likes football and has some feeling for the club.

The septics that bought manure and that other team did so because they wanted to make money from the 'brand' not because they supported the team or had any remote interest in football. It was a simple business transaction aimed at making money.

Chances of us finding a Billionaire who understands football, supports the club, and isn't just interested in using it to make more money = minimal.

Maybe the solution isn't selling out to a disinterested billionaire with nothing better to do with his money**, maybe it's time the so called super rich clubs f*cked off to a WWE style European Super league and left the rest of us to get on with the football.

** I have to say that if I was a Russian/Thai/Indian/Arab multi Billionaire I'd be more inclined to use my money to alleviate some of the terrifying poverty in my own country, before playing 'football club owners' in another country thousands of miles away.
True Abu Dhabi doesn't have any poor of it's own, but it was built with the blood of Pakistani/Indian migrant workers earning a pittance working in the most miserable conditions.

Rich people are c*nts. They get rich by being c*nts and they stay rich the same way. That won't change if one of them buys Everton FC.
Spot on to be fair. I know in my origional post I said 'lets hope this is true', but I don't to be honest. Football is now becoming a joke, its all about rich people making even more money for themselves. Man City fans are over the moon now, but will they still be happy when the new season ticket prices come out and they have been doubled, I don't think so. Billionaire takeovers are not always the answer, eg the [Poor language removed], and as much as people slate Kenwright, the man is one of us. We don't want a billionaire takeover, a couple more of them in the league and football will be completely ruined!!

I'm happy to acknowledge that Thaksin was a tin pot dictator and Lerner isn't...and in fact has a great 'charidee' record etc etc. But the point is that Lerner exploited to get where he is too. He comes from a banking background and inherited his dad's company, and that company would have been built upon exploiting wage labour somewhere along the line: either directly or indirectly.

As I say, though, I understand the ethical concerns of others on the forum, but we're here to debate and discuss our football club on this forum and it just so happens that the industry it is in is going through an era when oligarchs and plutocrats have it by the scruff of the neck. You either accept that or take up needlepoint.

Careful there mate.

If I didn't know any better, I'd say you're having a go at capitalism.

Forget all the jobs that his father's company created or the money that was put back into the community.

The thing is the money will never dry up, people have been saying that since the inception of the premier league and all we have seen is more and more obscene amounts of money being plowed into football, english clubs being the main benifactor. As the guy said before rich people make their money by being c*nts, nothing will change the way they operate, the amounts involved will change and they will only grow and grow.

As much as i hate the situation english football has got itself into we need to jump on the bandwagon and find ourselves such a billionaire owner or we risk becomming one of those average also ran teams who just manage to survive and do nothing meaningful. We are everton, we should be at the top end of every competition competing for trophies, a name means nothing anymore though, it is all about what the accountants sheets say, and we need the money to establish ourselves as a top club once more, this Ambani bloke seems like the perfect investor to provide the backing that we need.

A few papers carrying the story today, he approached, us we approached him who knows! Should be fun on Thurs, any chants for him?

Will be intresting to hear if the club comments on it.

Last edited:
From the Post

EVERTON have become the latest Premier League team to be courted by billionaire Indian businessman Anil Ambani.

Intermediates representing Ambani have been in contact with Goodison owner Bill Kenwright, intent on arranging a meeting between the two parties.

Ambani, said to be the sixth richest man in the world with a fortune of £24bn, has targeted Everton after failing in an attempt to take control at Newcastle United.

Ambani’s son, Jai Anmol, is thought to have attended Everton’s pre-season friendly against PSV Eindhoven at Goodison for informal talks with Kenwright and club director Robert Earl. Everton have been openly seeking new investment for some time, with Kenwright reiterating earlier this month that he would happily sell the club to a suitable buyer.

Ambani would appear to fit that profile, having amassed his riches as head of the Reliance Anil Dhirubhai Ambani Group, the largest business house in India.

The 49-year-old had recently been linked with a £230m takeover of Newcastle, but withdrew his interest because of the ongoing uncertainty behind the scenes at the North East club. At Everton’s recent extraordinary general meeting at Goodison Park, called by angry shareholders to demand a withdrawal from the plan to move to Kirkby, Mr Kenwright said he was looking for a billionaire to take over the club. "I am a pauper when it comes to other chairmen. I cannot go on like this, we need a new owner and we will continue to try to find one," said Kenwright, who endured a barrage of criticism.
He said he had asked Keith Harris, a "Mr Fix it" of the football world, to try to find a buyer for the club which he would "sell tomorrow" to the right bidder.

Despite insisting the proposed move to Kirkby alongside a Tesco supermarket would continue, Kenwright said his door remained open if Liverpool City Council could come up with a viable alternative.
Everton’s plans to move to Kirkby with Tesco, in a £400m development, had been cast into doubt when the Government decided to call a public inquiry because of the large retail element.
But the club has said it intends to press ahead with the scheme, which will be delayed by up to a year by the inquiry, due to start in November.

According to Forbes, Anil Ambani is the sixth wealthiest man in the world.

He and his estranged brother, Mukesh, who ranks one spot ahead of him in the world at number five, had inherited their fortune from their late father, industrialist Dhirubhai Ambani.

This is the statement issued by a spokesman for the Reliance Group this afternoon and reported by Sky Sports News:
“We are no longer interested in buying Newcastle because of the turbulent conditions which currently exist there and because we have been unable to have any satisfying talks with anyone from the club.”

[Poor language removed] the bed this looks real!

This is the statement issued by a spokesman for the Reliance Group this afternoon and reported by Sky Sports News:
?We are no longer interested in buying Newcastle because of the turbulent conditions which currently exist there and because we have been unable to have any satisfying talks with anyone from the club.?

[Poor language removed] the bed this looks real!

I notice it doesn't mention he is moving onto another club though
Posted via Mobile Device

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back