Anil Ambani

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really hope this isn't just another figment of BK's imagination or something he has manufactured to take the pressure off him by saying look i told you i was trying to find an investor all along. Then the deal mysteriously falls through

I used to love BK for saving us from agent Johnson but every week now i find the man going further down in my estimation

Dangerous game, he risks the chance that this group will turn around and say something like, "WTF we aint even heard of Everton", then Bk looks a right and left tit.

Thing is, if Ambani was interested as long ago as pre-season and his son attended the PSV match, why did we seek the help of Keith Harris last week to find a buyer

0435a.jpg

Obviously Kenwright has been ducking the issue.

Ok I realise I'm going to burn in hell for that, but having nudged the debate over into into a discussion on the morals of capitalism I felt it was the least I could do.

For the record I still think that the pursuit of ever richer owners is disingenius. The global economy's in the process of tanking and the advertising spending which provides the revenue stream by which the TV companies have been able to fund the 'footy inflation' of the past decade has dropped. So has the willingness of the punters to cough up increasingly ridiculous amounts of cash to watch live matches at home - how many watched Croatia-England? About 1.5m wasn't it - the same as on average watches Blue Peter.

The next round of bidding for TV rights is due, I think, next year. I'd be surprised if the bids aren't substantially down on the last time round. I'd also be surprised if the owners of some clubs, who bought into the game solely to make money didn't start screaming when they saw that their 'prize' money had dropped and started demanding a propertionally greater share of the TV pot or they're off to start a European super league.

Let them. The shinies and their septic owners can [Poor language removed] off to Europe for all I care. The Champions league may have proved to be a huge financial success for Uefa, but imo that success rests on the fact that it draws on the strengths and diversities of the leagues from which the competing teams are drawn. Remove the Cl from the national leagues, rebrand it as a European super league, add in even more pointless 'raz' and it'll wind up looking like the World Wrestling Federation.

Good. It's not because I relish the idea of seeing Stevie G in a silver sequinned leotard and tights brandishing a flaming trident as he's roared onto the pitch by a Charlton Heston soundalike, rather that with the shinies gone, I won't ever have to. I suspect I won't be the only person who won't be tempted to pay to watch the games, and with any luck the whole thing will be bankrupt within few seasons just like the USA's first attempt at a 'soccer' league.
If the remaining European league structures have the good sense to impose suitable penalties on the departing teams and any players greedy enough to play for them with any luck we won't be seeing them back until they're played their way up through all the semi-pro and pro leagues. Nine levels isn't it?
Those who forget the mistakes of history are doomed to repeat them.
Those who forget their roots should be damned to revisit them.

Last edited:
One thing i dont understand...why would you invest in a club like Everton, NEwcastle, Man City etc...When you have so much money you could buy any club in the world?! They couldve bought Utd, more expensive yes, but they wouldnt have to buy as many players, or a new stadium, he could buy anyone, why the middle clubs?

If you take over a top-notch club you have a huge responsibility to uphold the standards. If someone bought, say ManU, and didn't win anything for 2 years (league or a cup) you'd be crucified by all the fans and such.

Buying a club in our situation: You'll get the club for a smaller amount so you can spend the other money on a new stadium and new players. The expectations will be lower (lets face it.. if we manage to break into Champions League within 2-3 years, and challenge for the league title in a few years more I'd think most of us would be happy), also you'd be loved by the fans for pulling the club up to our rightful place and you'd have built something yourself not just bought someone elses success.

So all in all, I'd say it's more lucrative to buy a team in the middle range and push it into the top than buy a top team.

or they're off to start a European super league.

Let them. The shinies and their septic owners can [Poor language removed] off to Europe for all I care. The Champions league may have proved to be a huge financial success for Uefa, but imo that success rests on the fact that it draws on the strengths and diversities of the leagues from which the competing teams are drawn. Remove the Cl from the national leagues, rebrand it as a European super league, add in even more pointless 'raz' and it'll wind up looking like the World Wrestling Federation.

Agree with you on this point. If the top teams break out of their national leagues to create a superleague they would generate a huge amount of cash in the beginning, but after a while they'd be digging their own grave.

An Example: A team finishes 3-4 in their national league, but in the new super league they might find themselves in the bottom of the table. Why? Well, since all other teams are great as well, they probably won't finish as high as they're used to. Add to that that their fans won't meet their local rivals, the newspapers will loose interest in a team that finishes badly in such a league, focus on the national league and therefore mediacoverage will go down. When that goes, so does the sponsors (after all, they pay to get publicity). And in the long run.. they will be hard pressed to get players to be competitive in their leasuper league. When that happens the super league won't be super anymore, it will have turned into an ordinary league with the only exceptions being:

1. The teams will come from different countries
2. There won't be any teams relegated or promoted, so the teams are stuck... so to speak.

The relegation issue would be a minor concern, even assuming the clubs which broke away managed to maintain a link with their national keagues.

The key issue would be advertising revenue from TV coverage. If the new league failed to generate sufficient package/ppv subscriptions the advertisers will desert en masse and the whole thing will collapse overnight like ITV digital.

yeah but the guys at city are reckoned to have about 560 billion to play with.

at least thats what i think i heard on the news. (or was it focus this morning?)

No, tell him to keep his money. We need Bill and his countless anecdotes of meeting Dave Hickson when he was an embryo, and a threadbare squad to prove we're still the People's Club full of flat cap, whippet-flying, proletarian salt of the earth types.

No to change. No to success. :bye:

No To Sucess?? Strange Remark!

what flavour?

Thats the question aint it, if some1 comes offering Cheese and Onion well hes gotta sell, but if they come with Ready Salted, well no way.

I respect BK, im sure hes had lots of Prawn Cocktail offers, but hes holding out, we can only hope that some1 comes along with Salt and Vinegar.

Say no to drugs kids!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back