2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
One out at the start of the window and then drop a bombshell at the end of it with the justification that "well, you want a striker in dont you?"

Itl's completely cynical. This club and Lampard are taking the piss if Gordon is sold.
It’s a well trodden path from our days as junkyard tradesmen of the league

Laughing me bollocks off at the notion of £50M and people justifying Gordon;s sale with it.

Let's be clear: this club will NOT get £50M off Chelsea. Nowhere near it. It'll be £30M top whack plus Gilmour.

An utter mugging.

Maybe Frank's doing his old club a favour?

Why would they offer this because he's good ffs.
We’ve paid ridiculous money for all kinds of rubbish so Evertonian’s especially should know that fee’s are irrelevant and certainly don’t mean anything in relation to someone’s level of ability.

I don’t think anyone’s saying he’s rubbish, he’s clearly got something about him but he’s not a £50 million player just now, not even close. Even if he lives up to his potential, he’s probably only a £50 million player.

Chelsea’s new owners are currently showing their naivety in football. I was flabbergasted with what they gave Brighton for that left back, a few in excess of £20 million more than City were prepared to pay, so if we can benefit from this gung-ho approach, I’ll be made up.

From Gordon's perspective If I was him I would want to stay at Everton another couple of years at least. Young lad at his home club playing regularly under a manager that really rates him. Where would he fit in at Chelsea at this point
Suppose your agent knows that a perennial Champions League club is having a clear-out at your position. You believe you're good enough to play at that level, and you're going to get a big bump in wages. You're totally going, right?

Wayne Rooney got 8 and 1 the season before he moved to Man U, in 37 games, only 6 in the PL, while young Anthony isn’t on pens.

Even if we took Rooney's goals out of the equation and pretended the keepers saved them all. You could see he had end product in his game aged 16, was strong enough to barge big adult players out of the way and was equipped with a powerful, menacing shot that if he didn't score now he would clearly do so once he had got some game experience. The eyes do not lie, Gordon might become a very decent winger but he won't have the power and skill or brain that Rooney had when Wayne was in his early twenties, even when Gordon is in his thirties.

What I’ll say to everyone bricking it is just this simple comparison of statistics last season.

Anthony Gordon - 40 games, 4 goals, 3 assists in all competitions.

Andros Townsend - 27 games, 7 goals, 4 assists in all competitions.

Demarai Gray - 39 games, 6 goals, 5 assists in all competitions.

Anyone saying he’s somehow irreplaceable or anything like that is utterly insane. Anyone losing their mind over this has me puzzled quite honestly, do you honestly realise how one sided this transfer would be in our favour?

I know he’s a young player and can improve but you can literally see last season that he was outperformed by a free transfer and a £1.5m player. In what world is that someone who’s worth losing out on potentially £50m for.

He’s only a few months younger than McNeil, even if you think he’s better than McNeil is he £35m better than him? Not a chance.
I agree. I think people are looking at this from a perspective of us looking upwards, building for the future etc and I get that but I genuinely think without something like 50m of investment in the front line we're going down this season. He has potential, that's it. He won't save us though, and ultimately that's all that matters this season - keep him and make the wrong decisions on the bargain basement players or loans and we sell him for half the price next season when we've been relegated

Of course this could all just be shut down by Gordon saying he doesn’t want to leave. The very fact we’ve supposedly received a bid would suggest his agent has allowed the possibility at the very least.

Tbh I’ve always been of the view that if a player would rather be somewhere else let’s have them out (not saying this is Gordon currently). If he is looking elsewhere though then he won’t be giving it all here so I’d rather we give the minutes to someone who is willing to die for the shirt.

Gordon can nip this in the bud very quickly by simply saying he is staying.
Then we can all screech at him for denying the club a game-changing £50m injection as we lurch between 15th and 19th all season, watching his corners hit the first man every week ?

Now hang on a second you are trying to prove a point by stats. Ive just illustrated that your argument is moot by the premise.

All you’ve just done is illustrate and in fact argue in your post here is stats aren’t the data to rule the, all - look at you here adding qualitative data to a quantitative point, you’re undermining your primary premise.
No if anything you’ve literally proved my argument for me. It’s a silly comparison to begin with for numerous reasons, most obviously they don’t play in the same position. But let’s use it, an 18 year old Rooney still massively outperforms a 21 year old Gordon, obviously. Stats wise or otherwise. What a bizarre comparison, Rooney is genuinely one of the best players of the last 2 decades, Gordon clearly isn’t but whatever. If we had an 18 year old striker now scoring 6-9 league goals I wouldn’t let him go for love or money.

I was clearly comparing Everton wingers to other Everton wingers all in the same season. Gordon played almost every possible game, so in other words he usually played in the exact same games that the other wingers did, therefore the other wingers would’ve outperformed him in those games.

Just to further it, I don’t remember all of Gray’s or Townsend’s goals but I do remember specially 2 of Gordon’s goals had little to actually do with him. One was a Richarlison shot that deflected off of him and another was I think against United where it was a shot that took a massive deflection off of a defender. These goals all count, fair enough strikers like Dom get the odd 1 or 2 like that but that’s along with scoring 10 other goals a season but when half of someone’s goals in a season are directly attributed to luck I’m not exactly sure about their end product.

Status
Not open for further replies.