Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really hope we had targets in mind in the off chance of a big sale…

But I have such little hope and expectation in our recruitment team. Screams of last minute panic buy time.

I just don't think Gordon is that hard to replace mate, albeit I'm for some reason treating Everton like a club that knows how to effectively scout several different types of player.

We're replacing a lad, if he goes, whose best asset as it stands is his tenacity. Yes, he has skill, for sure, but he's not an excellent finisher, he's not a great passer and his decision making is below average.

I do think he is a livewire and makes things happen and he had a very good, by what was expected, breakthrough season, but we are hardly replacing a world class player. A competent club (and this is of course the issue here) would be able to replace him very quickly and for a much lower figure.

Its a circular argument mate we won’t agree on, as I said earlier I think people are guilty at looking at a 21 year old, six months into being a starter and crystallising his ability as a player, the lad has a very high ceiling. I mean what have Bayern, Spurs, Newcastle, Chelsea all seen that lads rabid at the mouth to sell him haven’t.

I’ll honestly be disgusted if we sell him, rock bottom moment for the club. If it happens, I’m going full on attack on all threads on governance on here.

Its a circular argument mate we won’t agree on, as I said earlier I think people are guilty at looking at a 21 year old, six months into being a starter and crystallising his ability as a player, the lad has a very high ceiling. I mean what have Bayern, Spurs, Newcastle, Chelsea all seen that lads rabid at the mouth to sell him haven’t.

I’ll honestly be disgusted if we sell him, rock bottom moment for the club.
I think he has a very high ceiling too.

But I want Everton to be a sustainable club mate, I'm sick of us moaning about what clubs like Brighton or the French sides or Bundesliga teams do, but then when we have the chance to do it, we moan about it and get all attached.

We need to get used to these deals because this is what we have to do to improve, right now, from where we are.

But I want Everton to be a sustainable club mate, I'm sick of us moaning about what clubs like Brighton or the French sides or Bundesliga teams do, but then when we have the chance to do it, we moan about it and get all attached.

We need to get used to these deals because this is what we have to do to improve, right now, from where we are.

Very very rarely would any of those mentioned sell their only real saleable and young asset.

This is not the club suddenly doing things right, buying young developing and selling to reinvest mate, this is the club getting lucky on one academy player making it and then after 6 months selling him as fast as they can.

I'd say it's basically the complete opposite of the clubs you mention - it's another Rooney situation of a badly ran club bailing itself out from bad governance by getting lucky on one player coming through at the right time in no way shape or form is that sustainable

There is a time to sell players mate, some players naturally outgrow the position the club is at the time, Richarlison a case in point. I could get on board with it for the reasons you say, he developed, gave service and outgrew the club, the time was right. That is sensible, personally thought the fee was low, but I know we had need.

With young Flash it’s not the right time, he can develop and be better here - no doubt and he’s at the right club to do it. The club need him, Ypu take out Richarlison goals, you take out Anthony’s last season and where are we - this is the future we are staring into.

Your point isn’t black and white in terms of model, timing is everything, then there is cumulative impact - selling two of your best performers - with a week to go in the window. This isn’t a model, it’s an asset strip.

But as a club it’s a horrible incitement on reputation to be bullied into selling our two best players in one window and left trying to sign the Adama Traores and Che Adams of the world. This is the reality sadly.

Very very rarely would any of those mentioned sell their only real saleable and young asset.

This is not the club suddenly doing things right, buying young developing and selling to reinvest mate, this is the club getting lucky on one academy player making it and then after 6 months selling him as fast as they can.

I'd say it's basically the complete opposite of the clubs you mention - it's another Rooney situation of a badly ran club bailing itself out from bad governance by getting lucky on one player coming through at the right time in no way shape or form is that sustainable
Brighton sold Ben White last season, their most sellable asset. They sold Cucurella this season.

Southampton did it successfully for years.

The Bundesliga sides live off it. Dortmund do it every year. Next year they'll sell Bellingham. Of course their situation is slightly different,as they're CL regulars. Lille and Leipzig are other ones.

Now Everton need to start on that path at some stage. Unfortunately, we were basically forced to sell Richarlison because of our own previous mismanagement. That's crap, and a sad, sad state of affairs.

Selling Anthony Gordon, a player with one half-decent season under his belt, for £60million, is not in any way a bad deal.

The issue, which I totally understand, is how late in the window this has come. But like I keep saying, it really is not hard to replace Gordon's output. It really, really isn't. Because right now, his output isn't all that. Of course, it could get better and I hope it does whether he stays or goes, because he's a talent, but right now, it's a very low bar.

I know everybody reads different things into a manager's guarded comments in his post match interview, but, for my money, this is done and Lampard knows that it is. He's just trying to get some deals of his own lined up and hoping he gets the funds from the club to complete them.

There is a time to sell players mate, some players naturally outgrow the position the club is at the time, Richarlison a case in point. I could get on board with it for the reasons you say, he developed, gave service and outgrew the club, the time was right. That is sensible, personally thought the fee was low, but I know we had need.

With young Flash it’s not the right time, he can develop and be better here - no doubt and he’s at the right club to do it. The club need him, Ypu take out Richarlison goals, you take out Anthony’s last season and where are we - this is the future we are staring into.

Your point isn’t black and white in terms of model, timing is everything, then there is cumulative impact - selling two of your best performers - with a week to go in the window. This isn’t a model, it’s an asset strip.

But as a club it’s a horrible incitement on reputation to be bullied into selling our two best players in one window and left trying to sign the Adama Traores and Che Adams of the world. This is the reality sadly.
Do you really think he'll every be worth more than £60m, though? I'm really not sure he will be.

Of course, timing is everything and as I've mentioned in my reply to @bluestevon i accept it's an issue.

But again, we're talking about a lad who doesn't really score or create goals on a consistent basis yet. That's not saying he's a bad player, but he is - wrongly - our main creative outlet and has been for some time. I'd say that explains some way to why we were so bad last season, because simply put we rely on very inconsistent players like Gordon and Gray to be our main men too often - and they are both inconsistent for different reasons, of course, and in Gordon's case (youth) that's entirely fair.

But given that we are talking about someone with 6 direct goal involvements to his name in an Everton shirt, who this time last year was going to be loaned out had we bought Luis Diaz as planned, then with £60m it really shouldn't be hard. I accept, however, that Everton have probably done little to prove they know what they're doing.

I know everybody reads different things into a manager's guarded comments in his post match interview, but, for my money, this is done and Lampard knows that it is. He's just trying to get some deals of his own lined up and hoping he gets the funds from the club to complete them.
Frank Lampard should not be 'lining up' deals. He has his involvement, speaking to the players etc, but that should be it.

It's Thelwell who needs to be taking the lead, not Lampard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back