Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank Lampard should not be 'lining up' deals. He has his involvement, speaking to the players etc, but that should be it.

It's Thelwell who needs to be taking the lead, not Lampard.
That's as maybe, the fact still remains that Lampard had an air of a man that knew his player was going and is impatient to see some of the money used on badly needed players. He even said at one point that everybody is aware of Chelsea's interest and that the situation needs to be dealt with quickly or that Gordon, who has 3 years left on his contract, will remain an Everton player. It seemed to me like he was actually resigned to the fact it was happening and wanted it done while there was still time to bring in players.

As to whether it is Thelwell or Lampard who is taking the lead, it isn't really a big deal in this context, I'm sure they discuss who they want and when they agree it's Thelwell,'s job to try to get the board to sanction it.

Do you really think he'll every be worth more than £60m, though? I'm really not sure he will be.

Of course, timing is everything and as I've mentioned in my reply to @bluestevon i accept it's an issue.

But again, we're talking about a lad who doesn't really score or create goals on a consistent basis yet. That's not saying he's a bad player, but he is - wrongly - our main creative outlet and has been for some time. I'd say that explains some way to why we were so bad last season, because simply put we rely on very inconsistent players like Gordon and Gray to be our main men too often - and they are both inconsistent for different reasons, of course, and in Gordon's case (youth) that's entirely fair.

But given that we are talking about someone with 6 direct goal involvements to his name in an Everton shirt, who this time last year was going to be loaned out had we bought Luis Diaz as planned, then with £60m it really shouldn't be hard. I accept, however, that Everton have probably done little to prove they know what they're doing.

I think he’s worth more then 60 mill to us mate, in the same way Zaha was worth more then 80 mill to Palace and they knew it. It’s like this relegation costs £120 mill a season. We weren’t avoiding it with without three players, Gordon, Richarlison and Pickford - we are considering selling two out of the three.

So you have to apply what you call a model to our circumstances, these were our PL scores last season:

Richarlison: 10
DCL: 5
Gray: 5
Flash: 4
Keane:3
AT: 3
The Duke:2
Holgate: 2
Iwobi: 2

6 others got 1 each.

Flash really only started half a season, so conservatively he could get 8 this year, which gives us a punchers chance.

So we take Richarlisons and Gordon’s goals and performances out of this team and how do we score?

We didn’t replace Richarlison, we are selling Gordon in a market that’s finished with a deadline and we don’t have a centre forward - what are people expecting to happen, we’re in big trouble.

So it’s fine to talk ablut models etc theoretically, but when you apply it to our context, it’s stupid, to many body blows and it’s self abusive.

Last edited:
Its a circular argument mate we won’t agree on, as I said earlier I think people are guilty at looking at a 21 year old, six months into being a starter and crystallising his ability as a player, the lad has a very high ceiling. I mean what have Bayern, Spurs, Newcastle, Chelsea all seen that lads rabid at the mouth to sell him haven’t.

I’ll honestly be disgusted if we sell him, rock bottom moment for the club. If it happens, I’m going full on attack on all threads on governance on here.

The thing is though, they are already planning on paying the big bucks you'd associate with a top talent in the league (more than sterling, haaland, Jesus, richarlison) that have all performed at a much higher level than Gordon at a more consistent rate. Yeah he might end up being a top top talent but he's already going for top talent money.

I personally don't think he'll ever sit at the table of the players I've just mentioned, but even if he does we've already got very close to the amount you'd expect for one of the best players in the league. If he ends up being Mbappe-like and Chelsea sell him to PSG for £200m then I'll admit I'm in the wrong, but this has Danny Drinkwater written all over it if you ask me.

That's as maybe, the fact still remains that Lampard had an air of a man that knew his player was going and is impatient to see some of the money used on badly needed players. He even said at one point that everybody is aware of Chelsea's interest and that the situation needs to be dealt with quickly or that Gordon, who has 3 years left on his contract, will remain an Everton player. It seemed to me like he was actually resigned to the fact it was happening and wanted it done while there was still time to bring in players.

As to whether it is Thelwell or Lampard who is taking the lead, it isn't really a big deal in this context, I'm sure they discuss who they want and when they agree it's Thelwell,'s job to try to get the board to sanction it.
That's fine mate, Lampard ultimately is the face of the club in the public (I think always making the manager do this is wrong, the DoF should step up), but as for sorting transfers it cannot be on the manager, as going to a certain manager's whim is what has helped contribute to this situation in the first place.

I think he’s worth more then 60 mill to us mate, in the same way Zaha was worth more then 80 mill to Palace and they knew it. It’s like this relegation costs £120 mill a season. We weren’t avoiding it with without three players, Gordon, Richarlison and Pickford - we are two out of the three.

So you have to apply what you call a model to our circumstances, these were our PL scores last season:

Richarlison: 10
Dominic Calvert-Lewin: 5
Gray: 5
Flash: 4
Keane:3
AT: 3
The Duke:2
Holgate: 2
Iwobi: 2

6 others got 1 each.

Flash really only started half a season, so conservatively he could get 8 this year, which gives us a punchers chance.

So we take Richarlisons and Gordon’s goals and performances out of this team and how do we score?

We don’t we didn’t replace Richarlison, we are selling Gordon in a market that finished with a deadline and we don’t have a centre forward - what are people expecting to happen, we’re in big trouble.

So it’s fine to talk ablut models etc theoretically, but when you apply it to our context, it’s stupid, to many body blows and it’s self abusive.
Fair enough but I really don't see that just because he doesn't do anything to me that would suggest he is worth £60m to us. Zaha scored 11 goals, I think, the season before we tried to get him and had signed a bumper 5-year deal just the previous winter.

Anyway like you said we won't agree on this but personally if Chelsea pay us £60m then I'm with the majority here and I think we've got a great deal even if I'll be sad to see him go.

The thing is though, they are already planning on paying the big bucks you'd associate with a top talent in the league (more than sterling, haaland, Jesus, richarlison) that have all performed at a much higher level than Gordon at a more consistent rate. Yeah he might end up being a top top talent but he's already going for top talent money.

I personally don't think he'll ever sit at the table of the players I've just mentioned, but even if he does we've already got very close to the amount you'd expect for one of the best players in the league. If he ends up being Mbappe-like and Chelsea sell him to PSG for £200m then I'll admit I'm in the wrong, but this has Danny Drinkwater written all over it if you ask me.

I don’t rate Sterling that highly myself mate.

I pretty much disagree, we can all pull a Jack Grealish deal out to make the counter argument, or that Chelsea are willing to play more a Leicester centre half then one of our most important player, the argument swings both ways in terms of value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back