Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fetching 60m for Gordon and Richarlison in the same window was not on my bingo card.

A combination of the English Youngster tax, and negotiations with cashed-up American Cowboys compared to seasoned British Businessmen there for all to see.

I understand we had an agreement with Richarlison that he was always leaving this window, but can't help but think he took the first offer from any team playing UCL and didn't care who, which left us with no choice but to accept a fee which now looks cheap for current (ridiculous) market.

There is a time to sell players mate, some players naturally outgrow the position the club is at the time, Richarlison a case in point. I could get on board with it for the reasons you say, he developed, gave service and outgrew the club, the time was right. That is sensible, personally thought the fee was low, but I know we had need.

With young Flash it’s not the right time, he can develop and be better here - no doubt and he’s at the right club to do it. The club need him, Ypu take out Richarlison goals, you take out Anthony’s last season and where are we - this is the future we are staring into.

Your point isn’t black and white in terms of model, timing is everything, then there is cumulative impact - selling two of your best performers - with a week to go in the window. This isn’t a model, it’s an asset strip.

But as a club it’s a horrible incitement on reputation to be bullied into selling our two best players in one window and left trying to sign the Adama Traores and Che Adams of the world. This is the reality sadly.
Spot on again, mate.

Considering we spent 50 on richy its more like 60+ profit on both of them. Seems on par if not bellow what you want for Brazilians now and your most promising academy graduate. In this market.
We spent too much in richy at the start to make huge profit. 60 is good money for Gordon though. Gordon would not keep us up 60m spent wisely would.

Ridiculous that they're offering that much. Take the money. Somebody described him as 'Roadrunner. Works hard but doesn't offer any end product. I've been more gutted about sales of Ferguson, Rooney and Arteta. Happy to take the money on this. We all see that he'll be sat on his bum and then get loaned out somewhere.

Its the fact it's Chelsea. It's where forwards go to die.

We spent too much in richy at the start to make huge profit. 60 is good money for Gordon though. Gordon would not keep us up 60m spent wisely would.
What is this spent wisely you speak of? It brings up memories of a ginger manager we had but it was so long ago. I was a different person then.

What is this spent wisely you speak of? It brings up memories of a ginger manager we had but it was so long ago. I was a different person then.
Yeah. It’s a long shot.
In fairness the reasoning is right, it’s the implementation that isn’t.

Considering we spent 50 on richy its more like 60+ profit on both of them. Seems on par if not bellow what you want for Brazilians now and your most promising academy graduate. In this market.
Brazils number 10 cost PSG about 210 million.
Everton sell his team mate, Brazils number 9 for about 50 million.

Previously top rated young English prospects Grealish and Sancho cost circa 100 million and 80 million and now Everton are holding out for a figure that some of our fans cannot understand. It reminds me of Mischel's marshmallow experiment.

Reflecting upon the above it does seem that we were over a barrel with having to sell Richy before the prem finaicial regs would have caused us real issue and Levy has exploited this.

Chelsea are following a similar strategy in leaving this bid for Gordon so late and in doing so trying to force our hand. We should all be supporting the boards stance in not buckling from our valuation or expected payment schedule. It is not about them, it is about what is best for us, and if we care about the kids we bring through our academy what is best for Gordon.

We will face the same if trying to prize other clubs better players away from them at this closing week of the window and when the season has started.

And selling Gordon and spending it poorly would send us down.

Again I'll state this as clear as day, we as a club have absolutely zero track record of recruiting well. Or spending money well when we have.

Everyone is desperate to get rid of Gomes, Gbamin, Allan, where happy to see the back of Tosun, Iceland and Delph. Would like to see Mina and Keane moved on also.

Rough costs from these players to the club to put what 50m (the add-ons may never be paid)

By the time the above players run their contracts out who haven't already.

Gomes 54m
Gbanim 50m+
Allan 36/40m
Tosun 42/45m
Delph 25m
Iceland 70/75m
Mina 51/55m
Keane 50m currently by end of contract around 58m
Bolasie 45/50m

So basically let's sell Gordon for 50m look what we can do with that amount of money ...

Not counting this window a conservative estimate is McNeil will end up costing the club over his contract and with fee roughly 37/40m

Brazils number 10 cost PSG about 210 million.
Everton sell his team mate, Brazils number 9 for about 50 million.

Previously top rated young English prospects Grealish and Sancho cost circa 100 million and 80 million and now Everton are holding out for a figure that some of our fans cannot understand. It reminds me of Mischel's marshmallow experiment.

Reflecting upon the above it does seem that we were over a barrel with having to sell Richy before the prem finaicial regs would have caused us real issue and Levy has exploited this.

Chelsea are following a similar strategy in leaving this bid for Gordon so late and in doing so trying to force our hand. We should all be supporting the boards stance in not buckling from our valuation or expected payment schedule. It is not about them, it is about what is best for us, and if we care about the kids we bring through our academy what is best for Gordon.

We will face the same if trying to prize other clubs better players away from them at this closing week of the window and when the season has started.
Yeah and even without that time constraint we usually sign a decent player every 10 signings. We would massively have to buck the trend and sign two or three good first 11 players in next week to make up for it. Or to make losing your top prospect worth while.

And selling Gordon and spending it poorly would send us down.

Again I'll state this as clear as day, we as a club have absolutely zero track record of recruiting well. Or spending money well when we have.

Everyone is desperate to get rid of Gomes, Gbamin, Allan, where happy to see the back of Tosun, Iceland and Delph. Would like to see Mina and Keane moved on also.

Rough costs from these players to the club to put what 50m (the add-ons may never be paid)

By the time the above players run their contracts out who haven't already.

Gomes 54m
Gbanim 50m+
Allan 36/40m
Tosun 42/45m
Delph 25m
Iceland 70/75m
Mina 51/55m
Keane 50m currently by end of contract around 58m
Bolasie 45/50m

So basically let's sell Gordon for 50m look what we can do with that amount of money ...

Not counting this window a conservative estimate is McNeil will end up costing the club over his contract and with fee roughly 37/40m
That is a great post but thoroughly depressing. :(

That is a great post but thoroughly depressing. :(

It is indeed mate, more depressing for me is people avidly advocating we need to sell Gordon as it's great business, when actually great business is buying and selling with a consistent track record of growing the company/business.

Id say having a wage turnover at 95% of income, being forced into selling assets by a set date to avoid sanctions from the league due to financial wrecklesness/incompetence (in business effectively a step usually only done to avoid bankruptcy proceedings) massively overpaying for commodities not in demand (players) and letting consistently 40-75m pound investments depreciate to nothing, all that suggests to me somehow that 50m isn't gonna do damned squat, but losing Gordon will have a very tangible negative impact.

Advocating selling Gordon for me is akin to the following.

An old woman has a son and a prized cow, one morning the boy goes out and returns with magic beans and no cow having sold it for these. Cue a furious mother - only in this story as Everton you'd have the rest of the family saying to the mum 'give him the prized horse as well he'll sell it well this time mum'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back