Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm on the fence with this one, if we sell Gordon, we are getting a massive fee for a player who is, let's be fair, a work in progress. If however we keep him, although we are taking a risk as to whether he kicks on as he could and becomes a great player, we still have a very quick hard working winger who's speed keeps defenders honest. Of course on the other hand, this may prove to be his real breakout season if he stays. It's all in the lap of the gods.

I can see the case for either decision, but, if we decide to sell and I think we will, we need to get it done today or tomorrow and we also need to have deals in principal agreed with clubs for badly needed creativity and goals to add to the squad, just waiting for the Gordon deal to go through to provide the funds. That of course is In an ideal world, but, this is Everton, so, ideal is not a concept our current board seem to grasp.

I think, as Billy Liar says, it's a case of 'watch this space'.

Just how much Gordon provides from a defensive or poo reading standpoint us being massively overlooked as well.

Anyone who watched Chelsea v Leeds saw why Chelsea want him, they have 'more finished' players throughout that team yet they lacked anyone who has that desire to run through walls - Gordon has that BUT with the physical attributes and technical ones too, he's basically 6 months into his career at this level, with all he has going for him I'm thinking that they maybe think once the end product comes (which it will) they'll have grabbed themselves a bargain at 50m

And the two calves grow up to be Tosun and Bernard mate - then what happens?
Bernard for meatballs, Tosun you’d get a couple of steaks from.

If we keep the magic beans, there is no way they are keeping us up. Without selling Gordon and buying 2/3 more players than have already shown they can score goals gives us a hope that they can reproduce goals here. Gordon gives many no hope that he will provide the Goals at all. It’s a gamble and personally I’d rather we took that gamble on 1/3 players being able to score goals to get us points than keep the magic beans that can’t do much besides run at this point.

If I was a Chelsea, Man U or City and considering the market, absolutely.

But the situation we are in is about us, the fact the window is almost closed, the season has started, we have lost and not replaced Richy etc.
No no, if you were Everton looking at signing an Anthony Gordon would you be saying he is worth the 60m quid?

Bernard for meatballs, Tosun you’d get a couple of steaks from.

If we keep the magic beans, there is no way they are keeping us up. Without selling Gordon and buying 2/3 more players than have already shown they can score goals gives us a hope that they can reproduce goals here. Gordon gives many no hope that he will provide the Goals at all. It’s a gamble and personally I’d rather we took that gamble on 1/3 players being able to score goals to get us points than keep the magic beans that can’t do much besides run at this point.

The run thing is funny mate, blocks, ball recoveries, effective pressing he's in the top metrics for pretty much every metric in those remove those players from a side and you lose the ethic throughout and you start shipping even more goals.

You can easily reject it mate - same way we rejected bids for Stones the season before he went.

He's played three games two I'd those as a cf which he isn't, not sure who he's providing assists for in this team, Rondon? Gray who never gets in the box, or one of the cm or McNeil who again never get in the box.

Asking in the current setup a winger to be putting up numbers is laughable - literally everything is setup against them doing so.

Look at Gordon's metrics, on the defensive, pressing and ball recovery he's effectively in the 90+ percentiles, that's absolutely exceptional for his position, combine that with his control and pace and it's exactly why Chelsea want him.

In before the 'all he does is run hard' comments, errrm pretty much him, Richy and Iwobi 'running hard' was the difference in staying up or going down, Gomes and the likes, with their attitude and willingness to dig deep,we'd have gone down one million percent.

Seen a lot want us to play high intensity and front foot pressing - by a mile the two best at doing so where Gordon and then Richy, So you sell both ?
This for me is a major immediate concern for the team.
Its fine to say we'll find someone that will get better return of goals/assists but the workrate in both directions of both these guys was unreal, especially in comparison to the rest of our side.
Iwobi end of last season and start of this has taken on the baton but we cant overlook the importance when we are looking for replacements over the coming week.

No no, if you were Everton looking at signing an Anthony Gordon would you be saying he is worth the 60m quid?

I wouldn't say Onana us worth 30+m to us either mate - he will be but not now for sure, we've probably paid similar to what Chelsea are offering proportionate to what they bring right now to the team.

And 30% of Richys goals where pens and pretty much all I think but one assist where actually shots blasted and ricocheting in off one of ours mate .

Fact remains we sold Richy losing his goals and replaced him with a player who contributed zero last season in McNeil, now we'll sell another player who was directed responsible for around 1/5th of our total non pen goals last season.

You said it's should be easy to replace 12 goal contributions with 30m - based on last season that's saying it's easy to bring a player in who would have contributed to around 35% of our goals scored.

for what it's worth Broja I think in 35 games contributes to 7/8 goals last season I think Gallagher contributed 10/11 both those players would set you back over 30-40m each. Pedro contributed 4/5 and is going for 30m.

and a lot of the others like saar, cornet and others either had blip seasons out of character with their normal returns or are fundamentally flawed or nobheads.

if replacing 12 goals is that easy for 30 million then most clubs in the league would have 5-6 players chipping in that amount given the money spent by most
Know, I said it should be easy to replace what Gordon currently offers based on last season. I'm being very, very generous in saying that he'll get 12 direct goal contributions this season, but if he did, would you not think with 2-3 x £20/30m players being able to be brought in, they'd help that?

I think we're a relegation candidate right now with Gordon in the side. If we had £50-60m to spend, I think we'd be less likely to be a relegation candidate.

It hurts to sell Gordon, but it's too much money. I see no evidence that he's going to score the goals or create the goals that would get us out of this mess. That being said, Everton would need to ensure the replacements are an upgrade, of course.

This for me is a major immediate concern for the team.
Its fine to say we'll find someone that will get better return of goals/assists but the workrate in both directions of both these guys was unreal, especially in comparison to the rest of our side.
Iwobi end of last season and start of this has taken on the baton but we cant overlook the importance when we are looking for replacements over the coming week.
Again, you are able to buy players that work hard and press, it isn't impossible.

Gordon's running around is great. He also blows out of his arse a lot of the game and his attacking movement isn't really up to standard.

Sixty Million Pounds.

The run thing is funny mate, blocks, ball recoveries, effective pressing he's in the top metrics for pretty much every metric in those remove those players from a side and you lose the ethic throughout and you start shipping even more goals.
The defence is looking a lot more capable this season but we’re under the cosh and conceding because there is no outlet/no attack to put the ball in the other teams net. Gordon has not stopped us shipping goals this season and if anything his lack of goal scoring ability has cost us games.

Look at Gordon's metrics, on the defensive, pressing and ball recovery he's effectively in the 90+ percentiles, that's absolutely exceptional for his position, combine that with his control and pace and it's exactly why Chelsea want him.
Isnt this very similar to the arguments for signing McNeil? So far, it seems like we overpaid for him.

Also, his control is very lacking. He is consistantly to heavy on the ball, pushing it so far ahead of himself he loses the ball. Hes quick, a competent dribbler and willing to work. Thats about it. Theres always potential with young players, but i struggle to see him ever producing enough to be worth 40m, so 60m is crazy. Players able to make a good cross or strike the ball cleanly usually have that at his age, at least good signs of what to come. Remember when we brought in Deulofeu? That guy could naturally cross a ball and he was Gordons age. Richy was a year or two older than Gordon when we signed him, his knack for goals and movement in the box was already there - he had those instincts from the start AND worked hard like Anthony. Gordon doesnt have any of that. I like him, hes a decent little player, willing to really work for the club. But he has never shown anything to be worth anything close to 60m and imo, never showed anything to ever think he will be worth that much. If Chelsea wants to throw money at us to sign him, we would be absolute fools not to take it and run.

People also are looking at raw goals/assists as the be and end all, ignoring his defensive/pressing stats which he's in the 90 percentiles for, ignoring the threat his pace causes which has to be accounted for by the opposition. We literally have zero pace up top without him,
Go and buy people with pace with the SIXTY MILLION POUNDS mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back