Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Know, I said it should be easy to replace what Gordon currently offers based on last season. I'm being very, very generous in saying that he'll get 12 direct goal contributions this season, but if he did, would you not think with 2-3 x £20/30m players being able to be brought in, they'd help that?

I think we're a relegation candidate right now with Gordon in the side. If we had £50-60m to spend, I think we'd be less likely to be a relegation candidate.

It hurts to sell Gordon, but it's too much money. I see no evidence that he's going to score the goals or create the goals that would get us out of this mess. That being said, Everton would need to ensure the replacements are an upgrade, of course.

Show me a player worth 30m who can be expected to bring that goal return and has the defensive/pressing statistics of Gordon mate?

You rate Terrier his stats are great, but look at the system and players around him l, you drop him in Gordon's position does he replicate even half those numbers he has done?

Hell stick Mount in this team he doesn't because the setup isn't conducive to it.

If you where the opposition managers looking at the current Everton side the one player you'd even remotely be concerned about is Gordon, nobody else carries any real danger

Again, you are able to buy players that work hard and press, it isn't impossible.

Gordon's running around is great. He also blows out of his arse a lot of the game and his attacking movement isn't really up to standard.

Sixty Million Pounds.
Yeah, im in the sell camp myself (due to necessity not preference), my point is we cant overlook the need to replace the hard work.
Getting in two Hammy R's would replace goals/assists but the team would get sunk.

if AG currently played for someone else, based on his record so far, I’d be astonished if Everton were thinking of splurging £60m to buy him.

Go and buy people with pace with the SIXTY MILLION POUNDS mate.

Well for one it's not 60m mate, it's 50 at tops, you don't spend add-ons before you have them do you really?

Secondly you've said bring in two players for 30m that's two players say on 80k pw minimum so 7m more than Gordon would cost this season alone, throw in signing bonuses agent fees and ofc the Gordon loyalty bonus, and that 50m looks more like 37-38m to reinvest now

So we need to with less than 40m buy two 30m quid players who can contribute 12 goals/assists each, have genuine pace, and provide the workrate/defensive contribution that Gordon does (90-97 percentiles in all).

Sounds easy mate - wonder why Chelsea aren't buying these two lads instead.

Hope today's the day. We're in no position to pass up 60m for a player who is less effective than Demarai Gray. If we had the money to buy a good striker he'd be here already. But we don't, and Gordon must go.

He is our player mate. If I can't be Chelsea you need to find another player as a comparison.
It’s hypothetical that Gordon will add goals and assists to his game. So let’s go with hypotheticals on this too.. Anthony Gordon plays for X (not Everton). Y (also not Everton) are in the market for winger/forward. Y approach X with a view to purchase Gordon. You as a fan of Y, see this linked on sky sports news. Do you a fan of Y.. looking at Gordon at this point in his career really think he is 60m quid of football player. Forgot the market and saying if Grealish was that then Gordon should be this.. take the market out of it and look at the single player objectively does this players stats justify 60m expenditure? I’m just trying to suss out what value you put on a player like Gordon yourself based on his current ability, not prospective value/development as you appear to disagree he is a 25m player at present, tops, in terms of what he brings to winning football games.

Well for one it's not 60m mate, it's 50 at tops, you don't spend add-ons before you have them do you really?

Secondly you've said bring in two players for 30m that's two players say on 80k pw minimum so 7m more than Gordon would cost this season alone, throw in signing bonuses agent fees and ofc the Gordon loyalty bonus, and that 50m looks more like 37-38m to reinvest now

So we need to with less than 40m buy two 30m quid players who can contribute 12 goals/assists each, have genuine pace, and provide the workrate/defensive contribution that Gordon does (90-97 percentiles in all).

It's not about what we would spend it's about what this allows to spend.

Getting 50m in now as pure profit could allow us to spend over double that without FFP issues.

Open to selling, open to keeping.

But I would most want the club to be transparent in this, whatever the choice. Don't sell us BS like Gordon 'wants' to go to Chelsea. Just tell it like it is. Come out and say 'we could use the money'

And selling Gordon and spending it poorly would send us down.

Again I'll state this as clear as day, we as a club have absolutely zero track record of recruiting well. Or spending money well when we have.

Everyone is desperate to get rid of Gomes, Gbamin, Allan, where happy to see the back of Tosun, Iceland and Delph. Would like to see Mina and Keane moved on also.

Rough costs from these players to the club to put what 50m (the add-ons may never be paid)

By the time the above players run their contracts out who haven't already.

Gomes 54m
Gbanim 50m+
Allan 36/40m
Tosun 42/45m
Delph 25m
Iceland 70/75m
Mina 51/55m
Keane 50m currently by end of contract around 58m
Bolasie 45/50m

So basically let's sell Gordon for 50m look what we can do with that amount of money ...

Not counting this window a conservative estimate is McNeil will end up costing the club over his contract and with fee roughly 37/40m
If Gordon stays he will need a huge wage increase now. Can’t demand 60m and then not make him the top earner

The £50m would go into the books if that's what's guaranteed of course, but it would free up more funds for us to spend too. Basically a £50m fee, in P&L terms, would probably allow us to spend over £100m in fees in the next week. Not that I think we would, but it would allow that, because of the pure profit that is coming into the club that, along with the Kean money, can be counted as a very good year - relatively speaking of course - financially between July 1, 2022 and June 30, 2023.

It would enable us to spend more in downpayments, which has been a huge issue all summer.

The only thing it comes down to is time. And that's where I agree with you that it's a struggle. But if they are wanting a player on loan too as part of the deal, especially if that's Broja, then it would seem they are wanting to get at least one problem position filled by that route, which perhaps means we are able to assess our options instead of rushing into it.

He's first and foremost our creative spark yet he doesn't create quality opportunities or score many goals. He shouldn't be, but he is. At the quality he is right now, he shouldn't even be a guaranteed starter IMO, and it's a travesty that he is and so much has been expected of him. Both of those things can improve, and it's great that he's got the work rate as a basis to build from already.

But if Everton are going to get £50m+, or £60m all inclusive of add ons, or £50m and Broja on loan... I don't see how or why we could turn it down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back