Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last night emphasised to me, along with the comments from the lads at Toffee TV that we don’t need him more than we need the 60m. Gray can do exactly what he does but can do it better because he actually gets you goals that win you games or points. Gray has saved us a point and got us the win in a cup in a matter of days. Gordon is still unable to convert chances for us that make the difference and we can’t rely on him unlocking that potential, we can’t afford to wait on it. It would be ridiculous if the board rejects a 60m offer and I will be pretty fuming. Yes, the best scenario for a football club is to keep your HG talent and nurture them into a top footballer. We wanted to do it with Barkley etc. but we were actually a decent footballing outfit then with no risk of relegation so we could afford to give them time. We can’t afford that anymore. We need proven talent that will score and assist for us and most importantly fit this team. I don’t think two players like Gray and Gordon fit this side (at least how we have tactically setup). They’re far too similar as players and we need to get rid of the sellable asset, as much as it is a disappointment to lose a HG talent, so we can get in proven players to keep us up and push us forward.

If we take the hit now by selling him, and it means we progress up the league again, it will only be more positive for the future of the club. The new stadium and buzz around the club will mean that it won’t be long until another Gordon pops up.

It is indeed mate, more depressing for me is people avidly advocating we need to sell Gordon as it's great business, when actually great business is buying and selling with a consistent track record of growing the company/business.

Id say having a wage turnover at 95% of income, being forced into selling assets by a set date to avoid sanctions from the league due to financial wrecklesness/incompetence (in business effectively a step usually only done to avoid bankruptcy proceedings) massively overpaying for commodities not in demand (players) and letting consistently 40-75m pound investments depreciate to nothing, all that suggests to me somehow that 50m isn't gonna do damned squat, but losing Gordon will have a very tangible negative impact.
Will it though? I mean he's yet to score or assist this season

You cannot reject £60m for him, under any circumstance because he is worth probably half that

Advocating selling Gordon for me is akin to the following.

An old woman has a son and a prized cow, one morning the boy goes out and returns with magic beans and no cow having sold it for these. Cue a furious mother - only in this story as Everton you'd have the rest of the family saying to the mum 'give him the prized horse as well he'll sell it well this time mum'.
For me, if this was a BK West End Musical with his mate Lloyd Webber then this story takes a modern twist. So, the cows already been sold for these magic beans (played by a young Anthony Gordon).. no one knows what the magic beans will actually become, could be great.. could be a dud. You can stick with your beans and see if they produce a footballer with an ability to create clear goal scoring opportunities or grow the composure to go round a keeper and win the game… OR you can take the beans the market and tell Chelsea these magic beans will be the next best thing, sell them and then go and buy two calves, one of which has proven they can score and one with the proven ability to create chances.

You cannot reject £60m for him, under any circumstance because he is worth probably half that
Well that is not true is it or he'd be sold now and the market would not be bidding 60 million. It is OK to not understand but please stop with the soft talk.

I'm on the fence with this one, if we sell Gordon, we are getting a massive fee for a player who is, let's be fair, a work in progress. If however we keep him, although we are taking a risk as to whether he kicks on as he could and becomes a great player, we still have a very quick hard working winger who's speed keeps defenders honest. Of course on the other hand, this may prove to be his real breakout season if he stays. It's all in the lap of the gods.

I can see the case for either decision, but, if we decide to sell and I think we will, we need to get it done today or tomorrow and we also need to have deals in principal agreed with clubs for badly needed creativity and goals to add to the squad, just waiting for the Gordon deal to go through to provide the funds. That of course is In an ideal world, but, this is Everton, so, ideal is not a concept our current board seem to grasp.

I think, as Billy Liar says, it's a case of 'watch this space'.

You can easily reject it mate - same way we rejected bids for Stones the season before he went.

He's played three games two I'd those as a cf which he isn't, not sure who he's providing assists for in this team, Rondon? Gray who never gets in the box, or one of the cm or McNeil who again never get in the box.

Asking in the current setup a winger to be putting up numbers is laughable - literally everything is setup against them doing so.

Look at Gordon's metrics, on the defensive, pressing and ball recovery he's effectively in the 90+ percentiles, that's absolutely exceptional for his position, combine that with his control and pace and it's exactly why Chelsea want him.

In before the 'all he does is run hard' comments, errrm pretty much him, Richy and Iwobi 'running hard' was the difference in staying up or going down, Gomes and the likes, with their attitude and willingness to dig deep,we'd have gone down one million percent.

Seen a lot want us to play high intensity and front foot pressing - by a mile the two best at doing so where Gordon and then Richy, So you sell both ?

Have no doubt AG will be sold.

Everton are just attempting to extract the best deal… which is what they should be doing.

Frustratingly, it’s going to be a close run thing as to whether they have enough time to reinvest those funds.

I would hope that they’ve got deals lined up ready to go. Oven ready deals.

You can easily reject it mate - same way we rejected bids for Stones the season before he went.

He's played three games two I'd those as a cf which he isn't, not sure who he's providing assists for in this team, Rondon? Gray who never gets in the box, or one of the cm or McNeil who again never get in the box.

Asking in the current setup a winger to be putting up numbers is laughable - literally everything is setup against them doing so.

Look at Gordon's metrics, on the defensive, pressing and ball recovery he's effectively in the 90+ percentiles, that's absolutely exceptional for his position, combine that with his control and pace and it's exactly why Chelsea want him.

In before the 'all he does is run hard' comments, errrm pretty much him, Richy and Iwobi 'running hard' was the difference in staying up or going down, Gomes and the likes, with their attitude and willingness to dig deep,we'd have gone down one million percent.

Seen a lot want us to play high intensity and front foot pressing - by a mile the two best at doing so where Gordon and then Richy, So you sell both ?
Not saying he's a bad player but he's not a £60m player and if we can get a hefty chunk up front for this year then I'd be taking it

For me, if this was a BK West End Musical with his mate Lloyd Webber then this story takes a modern twist. So, the cows already been sold for these magic beans (played by a young Anthony Gordon).. no one knows what the magic beans will actually become, could be great.. could be a dud. You can stick with your beans and see if they produce a footballer with an ability to create clear goal scoring opportunities or grow the composure to go round a keeper and win the game… OR you can take the beans the market and tell Chelsea these magic beans will be the next best thing, sell them and then go and buy two calves, one of which has proven they can score and one with the proven ability to create chances.
And the two calves grow up to be Tosun and Bernard mate - then what happens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back