2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everton fans:

"Ffs Everton why can't we be so well run like dat Brighton selling those players brought in for peanuts for mega money? moneyball is the only way these days to progress look at Leicester"

Also Everton fans:

"Ffs Everton why you selling one of our bright young players for? What message does that send to the rest of the football world? I'll tells ya it says to the rest of the world we're selling club with no ambishun"

Never change lads lol

Brighton have a pretty good recruitment team. We do not.

You don't think we neded wholesale change after last season's car crash performances?

Everyone was calling for it at the time.

Now we appear to be doing it.

It is unfortunate but a neccesary evil that this is being done on the back of selling 2 of our only decent players.

Clearly there are no takers for the deadwood which is sad but hardly surprising.

No i think the squad needed balancing and incremental improvement, also better luck with injuries - i think we achieved it or are likely to. My concern presently is a lack of creativity - that were the lack of balance is right now, selling young Anthony does little to improve it.

Change is fine, but it should be incremental, we had a number of squad places we needed to improve on:

Onanna for Delph
Vinarge - Kenny
McNeill - Sigurrdson
Coady and JT - nominal to improve the back line.

Its about making those squad place viable and useful - because they haven't been for the investment.

In the vacum we still have replacing Richarlison - we have a ready made replacement - Gordon, we've already gotten 52 mill out of that squad place. Loosing Gordon is a body blow to far in the wrong area of the pitch with two weeks left in the window in an area of the pitch we cant afford to be light.

Imagine trying to go for other players now, with them knowing we have 40-50 mill burning a hole in our pockets and cant score or create for love nor money - its fine saying sure we can but other players, we are at the markets end now, there is less availability and clubs are going to rinse us.

Change should be incremental, its a process rather then an event.

Building a forward line in the last two weeks of the window is a fools errand and an unnecessary and honestly stupid risk to take.

For this reason selling Gordon is a hard no from me.

Last edited:
Here's the thing, last season not counting penalties we scored 37 goals.

Gordon was directly involved (goal/assist) in 7 of them. We are starved for goals in the team and people slate the lad who was directly involved in 19% of our goals during the season...

It's not just that, there's value to alleviating pressure by being an attacking threat and winning fouls up the field. We had noone else able to do that last year, other than perhaps Richarlison. It was the Gordon show for a while. We need to have replacements (including a foward) lined if if we are to contemplate selling him.

Gordon was directly involved (goal/assist) in 7 of them. We are starved for goals in the team and people slate the lad who was directly involved in 19% of our goals during the season...
Are you suggesting that it is impossible to better that by investing his fee in a 2 strikers ?

It's not about wasting or not mate, it's about having a footballing heart at the club not just about money.

Last season we stayed up on four players (Pickford) the other three where the ones who literally ran themselves into the ground every single game - Richy - we've sold, Iwobi - and Gordon.

Without those three responding I dont know of the fans who got behind the team could have done so to the degree they did - it needed certain players to 'get it' and the crowd to feed off that.

You sell the footballing heart of the team, you sell it's soul and the disconnect becomes easier.

I probably rate Gallagher more than anyone on here, I genuinely wouldn't take him and 30m for Gordon.

Some things have to be about more than the bottom line.

I think your argument, that there is something more intangible represented by Gordon is probably fair. I can't find an answer to it. I completely understand the principle of there's no price to accept for certain players.

I don't share that outlook, but I do understand it. I'm a lot more cynical about the game mate, which is not necessrily a good thing, but it is a thing.

Tough one this. He’s got potential but not Barkley/Rooney levels. What business would his sale let us do - the forward options are so short on match winning quality. Gordon, Gray, McNeil, Townsend, Rondon that’s not good enough to keep us up even if we do sign a striker. If selling him means we could bring in a couple of quality players, significantly better than what we have at the moment, might have to sacrificed him.

£40/50 million would be stupid money and would annoy me even more at the money we got for Richarlison.

Six. Four goals. Two assists. And if I remember correctly, two of his goals were poor shots picking up heavy deflections.

For comparison. Michael Keane scored three goals. Same number of assists as Gordon.

There's not really much point in getting excited about youth any more is there?

Watching kids matches, reading the thread on here, checking out the results and stats wondering if anyone is going to make it.

Because if they make it to the first team and they're exciting they are instantly sold. Better to take any emotion out of it and just view the kids team as potential revenue and not our next big hope.

I must have been watching highlights and wondering if Gordon would make it for years now. If we sell him I wish I hadn't bothered, what an utter waste of my time.

If he gets sold for mega money then he has done his job and worth watching them years. From our standpoint as fans it's ahead of time that we didn't see him become what he might for another club but at the moment that is all conjecture, he might never and we miss the boat.

If you can bring in 3 decent players that uplift the squad for 1 outgoing then it is usually worth it. If the club believe that is the case they should be free to do so. The question is can the people who handle the recruitment get those right?

He might stay and we've just added hundreds of pages of waffle.

How does 'goal involvement' work though mate?

Also, I'd be looking to replace Gordon with someone like Gibbs White.

I'd like to see what his goal involvements are

It's not just the " he's a local lad " problem it's also the message we are sending out to potential signings and our current better players.
The message that we'll be able to develop you and offer you a pathway to a CL-winning club that regularly challenges for major honours?
I think that given where we're currently at, that'll definitely help us to attract more young players who are destined for the top (see: Onana).
If we can start to trust those in charge of recruitment to reinvest wisely, then this is by far the most sustainable model to pursue.

Everton fans:

"Ffs Everton why can't we be so well run like dat Brighton selling those players brought in for peanuts for mega money? moneyball is the only way these days to progress look at Leicester"

Also Everton fans:

"Ffs Everton why you selling one of our bright young players for? What message does that send to the rest of the football world? I'll tells ya it says to the rest of the world we're selling club with no ambishun"

Never change lads lol

…still banging on about our fanbase.

No but FFP doesn't allow us to make 40m punts. Chelsea can keep throwing darts at the wall until they get one right
Not saying the rules are fair but those same rules are allowing Chelsea to make a £40m+ punt, and throw this particular dart at our wall!
£40m+ for a punt and a dart, in Everton’s current financial position is not something I think they can walk away from!
Again for me the key is Thelwell and Lampard actually getting the money to spend!

Status
Not open for further replies.