Are we a one man team?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're playing directly to Lukaku's strengths.

Something we haven't done for the last two years on a consistency.

That being said, the other players around him didn't provide enough goal-scoring alternatives until very recently.

Ha Ha Ha.

What a stupid post.

Name me a team in world football that plays to their best players strengths?

Did the Argies play to Diegos strengths?
NO

Do Barca play to Messis strengths?
NO

Do Real play to Ronaldos strengths?
NO

Do United play to Zlatans strengths?
NO

Did Brazil play to Peles strengths?
NO

Classic Dave there.

....let me introduce you to the near future:

provisional agreement to buy land at BM docks; sale of Lukaku for £70M; purchase of new players for £70M; stadium planning application submitted; stadium planning application objected to; stadium plan goes to public inquiry.

Already done, Dave.

I don't think we're a one man team.

That said...

...I get an absolute laugh at Evertonians who say "Yeah, just sell him on for 70M or whatever and replace him."

Two main issues with that line of thinking:

1) The assumption that there is someone out there of his quality we could properly identify without blowing the 70M (or even half of it) on.
2) The assumption that said player would come to us to begin with. If they're good enough to easily replace Lukaku, then they're good enough to go to clubs that are currently in European competition.

Sure I trust Walsh & Koeman to find players that fit into the system and are undervalued and/or undiscovered. But to find a player that could replace Lukaku and what he brings is more than likely not undervalued and not undiscovered. Strikers are the one commodity that aren't not easy to find.

I really really don't want to lose him and want Everton, Moshiri, & Koeman to convince him his long term future lies with the club. Wishful thinking? Yeah, sure it could be. But I don't want to lose arguably the best striker we've had in the last 30 years and replace him with a Beattie, Bent, Johnson, Straq, Jo, etc....

I hate that we missed out on Gabbiadini (hindsight and all that) but I think it would take a top drawer player to replace Lukaku.

I don't think we're a one man team.

That said...

...I get an absolute laugh at Evertonians who say "Yeah, just sell him on for 70M or whatever and replace him."

Two main issues with that line of thinking:

1) The assumption that there is someone out there of his quality we could properly identify without blowing the 70M (or even half of it) on.
2) The assumption that said player would come to us to begin with. If they're good enough to easily replace Lukaku, then they're good enough to go to clubs that are currently in European competition.

Sure I trust Walsh & Koeman to find players that fit into the system and are undervalued and/or undiscovered. But to find a player that could replace Lukaku and what he brings is more than likely not undervalued and not undiscovered. Strikers are the one commodity that aren't not easy to find.

I really really don't want to lose him and want Everton, Moshiri, & Koeman to convince him his long term future lies with the club. Wishful thinking? Yeah, sure it could be. But I don't want to lose arguably the best striker we've had in the last 30 years and replace him with a Beattie, Bent, Johnson, Straq, Jo, etc....

I hate that we missed out on Gabbiadini (hindsight and all that) but I think it would take a top drawer player to replace Lukaku.
Spot on mate !

what you will normally find with Barkley is that he will instigate the attacks from deep, so he will pick up the ball from the half way line, pass it around to the wing backs or davies and gueye, then move forward with the ball, so he may start of the attack but 6 other people may touch the ball before we score, so he doesn't get the high assist or goals because he's coming from deep to get the team moving forward

I agree with that, it is perverse. But if we had Lukaku sharing the wealth and Barkley on 10 goals and Mirallas on 8 or whatever we'd be a lot better off.

No, we don't need Rom "sharing the wealth", Dave.

We want him scoring at his current rate......probably be about 26 goals or more by season's end.

But we need Ross and Mirallas weighing in with those 10 and 8 respectively as well.

The year Lineker spired his 30 league goals he never shared the wealth......he just kept banging them in.

But Sharp scored 19 and Heath about 10 or sommat.

Plus Sheedy and Steven were around 10 as well.

We need a striker scoring for fun but his teammates scoring regularly themselves.

That's what I call fire power ;)

Not by a long shot. But our belief the past few years to have feed the Yak has returned phase II in Lukaku. He is lethal in front of goal but since we play to his skills almost all the time we do need to school others while he is aboard. I have high hopes for Calvert Lewin.

You're approaching it from the wrong angle. It shouldn't be looked at as which team had the highest percentage of its goals scored by one striker, but which team has scored the fewest goals outside of its top scorer. So, for instance, Manchester United might have a slightly lower percentage of its goals coming from Ibrahimovic than we do from Lukaku, but non-Lukaku Everton players have scored 30 goals this season, but non-Ibrahimovic United players have only scored 27 goals. The point is whether or not you can get scoring from the players who aren't your main option, and we do.

I think we're sixth in the league in terms of scoring overall, and sixth in the league in goals coming from players who aren't the club's top scorer. So that indicates we aren't really a one man team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back