Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Ashley Williams

Status
Not open for further replies.
... probably went too far

"Probably went too far". Good to see the art of understatement in defence of your own players is alive and well. :)

Williams acted like a petulant child and was lucky not be sent off, not that it would have made a difference to the result. I hoped we'd bought a new Dave Watson or Richard Gough when we signed him. Couldn't be more wrong.

I have nothing wrong with a difference in opinion. That's life.

However, I just hope you're consistent and aren't defending the fan with his child.

Oh heavens Barney, never mentioned the fan in any way, more fool him putting his child in harms way. Police want to see him now and Everton have banned him for at least the rest of this season.

"Probably went too far". Good to see the art of understatement in defence of your own players is alive and well. :)

Williams acted like a petulant child and was lucky not be sent off, not that it would have made a difference to the result. I hoped we'd bought a new Dave Watson or Richard Gough when we signed him. Couldn't be more wrong.

I will always defend what I say, and I stand by it.

Had he been sent off (a game of Ifs and Buts), then maybe my stance would've changed.

But he riled the crowd up, turned a damp, squib of a game into a spectacle (not a pretty one at times, mind), in which at least fans had something to clutch to. Some players showed frustration, passion and actual hunger to win the game. Some players were happy to be passengers, and that's the problem. Williams, he's the scapegoat, and he does make a lot of mistakes, so in a sense, justifies his tag.

But last night, he didn't get sent off, gave the fans something to cheer for, which we haven't had since a quite simply pityful gesture for Oumar against Bournemouth, but more realistically, Man. City.

I don't ask for much, just hunger and a little bit of passion. Williams showed that, so respect to him for that.

That's the beauty of a forum. Everyone is different, and shares different opinions.

Barney, it is a question of cause and effect just like the previous post states by Daveysginger............

Williams assaulted their Gk, that was the cause and what followed was the effect. Williams was lucky not to get a red card and then we would have been down to ten men. When UEFA get into goodness knows what they will do. I understand also that the police have initiated inquiries into the incident.

Sorry fella, have to disagree. He had no intention or chance of getting the ball, just shoved the keeper when in mid air. Completely unnecessary. Extremely dangerous too. Keeper lost control of his landing, could have bashed his head and swallowed his tongue (amongst other possibles).

Very different to honestly challenging for a header and falling awkwardly.

You're both acting like it's a non-contact sport where emotions don't run high. I'm guessing you have both played football yourselves, have you seriously never let the occasion of a physical game get to you, especially when a lot of other things have gone against you for a while?

It didn't look great from Williams, and I found his reaction to the goal uncalled for, but at that moment with the keeper, he was clearly trying to get us back in the game and the keeper cleverly nudged in to him which would have been annoying as he got the better of Williams. Calling it assault though and suggesting the keeper could potentially have died is ridiculous.

People are far too quick to stick the boot in to some of our players just because they have an issue with them.

Sorry fella, have to disagree. He had no intention or chance of getting the ball, just shoved the keeper when in mid air. Completely unnecessary. Extremely dangerous too. Keeper lost control of his landing, could have bashed his head and swallowed his tongue (amongst other possibles).

Very different to honestly challenging for a header and falling awkwardly.
You're funny

You're both acting like it's a non-contact sport where emotions don't run high. I'm guessing you have both played football yourselves, have you seriously never let the occasion of a physical game get to you, especially when a lot of other things have gone against you for a while?

It didn't look great from Williams, and I found his reaction to the goal uncalled for, but at that moment with the keeper, he was clearly trying to get us back in the game and the keeper cleverly nudged in to him which would have been annoying as he got the better of Williams. Calling it assault though and suggesting the keeper could potentially have died is ridiculous.

People are far too quick to stick the boot in to some of our players just because they have an issue with them.

I have indeed played. No, I've not felt the need to do something like that. I have been pushed whilst mid air heading a ball and wound up with concussion.

Opponent sent off. I don't think my point is unreasonable.

Lucky not to have been sent off and his defending is horrific at times. But he showed a bit last night and scored a bullet header.
I thought the only reason he got on the end of that free kick last night was because he'd intimidated those defenders beforehand and they gave him just a bit of space required to get an unchallenged header off.

He wont get too many other defences standing down like that.

I thought the only reason he got on the end of that free kick last night was because he'd intimidated those defenders beforehand and they gave him just a bit of space required to get an unchallenged header off.

He wont get too many other defences standing down like that.

Um...

In your lifetime, did you get more pleasure from watching Everton suffer, and your negativity soar, or us winning trophies?

Only asking... for a friend.

Has been shocking at times this season, as have most of the squad. I have been very critical of him but last night he earned some respect from me. Yes he should of conducted himself better, especially when wearing the armband, but he showed some fight and some passion like it actually means something! Goal saving block in first half which could have killed us. Looked like he would have taken on the whole Lyon team in a fight!! Then scores a bullet header in front of the Gwladys. Had Big Dunc had a scrap with the other team, punched someone, then scored a header everyone would be loving it.
Just nice to see some passion, and hopefully it rubs off on the other lads. And even more hopefully on the crowd!! We need to get behind the players if we want a reaction!!!!!

if he'd looked arsed at any other point of his time at the club, i might be willing to think last night was him showing passion for the team and just losing his head.

However he has always seemed like an arrogant sort who doesnt really care to me, so I am just gonna say he was just being a nob for no other reason than he probably is one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back