Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Transfer Rumour Axel Witsel

Status
Not open for further replies.

But he's none of those pal, he's slow, dosent impose himself on games and dosent protect his back four.
You all think McCarthy loves a safe sideways pass, wait till this guy shows up

I like McCarthy.

I know that @bluestevon wont agree, but personally I think McCarthy and Witsel in a midfield three with Barkley will give Barks the confidence he needs to go and do his stuff. If you also have Mata in a free role from one of the wings, then you've got a perfect balance IMO

I also think with a new manager McCarthy can get back o his 13/14 season form. Although he was pretty poor at the euro's also.
The thing is he is the only one of our midfielders that would recoup any sort of a decent transfer fee

Really get the feeling James is going to move on.

Koeman won't be crazy enough to bench Barry or get rid. He's got at least a year left and was our double player of the season. Besic has youth on his side and offers something different. Gibson has just got a new contract. Cleverley is a good passer and versatile.

I'm happy having Cleverley and Gibson as squad options, Besic knocking on the door and Barry and Witsel starting, assuming the latter signs. Won't cry if McCarthy moves on but I still think there's a player in there. Just don't see him as a Koeman type of midfielder.
I think the ooposite, I think McCarthy will become a key player for Koeman.
I think we have to forget about what has happened in the past, it is what the new manager wants for the future.
If/when Witsel and/or Mata arrive our midfield will have a completely new dynamic.
Witsel will play and who will compliment him best , I think Witsel will play the midfield general role setting the pattern of play for the whole team(I think Gibson is his understudy) a defensive midfielder will play alongside him to offer cover to the defense and I think that role will be for McCarthy primarily with Barry and Besic as cover.

Really , we are all guessing until we see a game or two in preseason where his intentions become clearer.

I like McCarthy.

I know that @bluestevon wont agree, but personally I think McCarthy and Witsel in a midfield three with Barkley will give Barks the confidence he needs to go and do his stuff. If you also have Mata in a free role from one of the wings, then you've got a perfect balance IMO

Thing is mate for that to even have a chance of working we'd need McCarthy to mshow that the one season he had (the first here) was the true reflection of how good he is, and he can get that level again and maintain it, maybe the rest of his career shows the reflection of his true level, ie, decent but no more. He reaches his form of 3 years ago then we would have a good midfield but nothing amazing

Witsel ideally paired up with an absolute top rate defensive midfielder like Scheniderlin or a beast of a centre mid like Strootman would work much much better. that midfield with Barkley developing his overall game would IMO anyway be able to compete with anything in the league

Including his own.

Sry but Besic is one of those players who's aleays injured and those never change.
Diofficult to say. Lots of young players get frequent injuries. Especially dynamic players like Besic.
If you go back to his early days, Steevie Me had a similar reputation to Kieron Dier. Once heard them both referred to as the 'tampons', in for a week out for a month. While Dier continued to be dogged by injuries which stinted a promising carrer, Gerrard overcame those early problems.

Diofficult to say. Lots of young players get frequent injuries. Especially dynamic players like Besic.
If you go back to his early days, Steevie Me had a similar reputation to Kieron Dier. Once heard them both referred to as the 'tampons', in for a week out for a month. While Dier continued to be dogged by injuries which stinted a promising carrer, Gerrard overcame those early problems.

Wasn't Gerrard down to a growth spurt he had in his late teens which buggered his back and legs up for a whilst?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back