Baines: We have no chemistry

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's the Pat Nevin of the day.....articulate, bright and not your run-of-the-mill stereotypical footballer. But that doesn't make him untouchable. Sure I read somewhere that as a kid he was a Red too?
Irrelevant anyhow, because the furore about what he's said has just been blown out of proportion....I'm certain it wasn't a pop at the manager....rather a pop at the teammates. If not, considering how loyal and honest you've said he is (which for clarity I'm not questioning) why wouldn't he just come out and say "the managers tactics don't work and he's bought a player who is absolute pants in training" if that wer the truth?

Maybe you read he was a red on RAWK, cos Leighton supports Everton.

"When you're from Liverpool, it's either Liverpool or Everton, one and not the other," he says. "You do one but you don't do both and that's that. I was made aware of the stories but as far as I'm concerned it wouldn't have got beyond that. It was just speculation, it was never an option. You are one and you stick with that."

https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/leighton-baines-boyhood-red.49204/

Our back 4 at the start of the 13/14 season knew when to cover when to bomb forward and when to hold back. With Barry and McCarthy covering this allowed ourfull backs to bomb forward

Nothing like that now. Its very disjointed
Anyone else notice Baines twice get the ball in acres of space then have to check back frustrated because his nearest support was 30 yards away and absolutely nobody ahead of him? No wonder he came out with this tbh

Anyone else notice Baines twice get the ball in acres of space then have to check back frustrated because his nearest support was 30 yards away and absolutely nobody ahead of him? No wonder he came out with this tbh

Well our whole season we have had nothing down the left. In the league out of memory we have scored just 2 goals from the left. from a corner v Bournemouth and a long ball to lukaku v stoke home.

Won't disagree....I'd start by listening to them in order of consistency and good form over the season. I'd listen to Gareth Barry....I think he's best positioned to speak in that he's a rock-solid professional and has been our most dependable player week-in week-out. The queue after that would be very short.
I'd also be happy to listen to the manager speaking forthrightly about his players instead of continually supporting them and covering their arses.

I,'ll take a show of hands from the squad who still back the manager which should take about the same amount of time for him to shut the door on his way out.

Well our whole season we have had nothing down the left. In the league out of memory we have scored just 2 goals from the left. from a corner v Bournemouth and a long ball to lukaku v stoke home.

The 2 at home the other week v Chelsea - Rom taking charge in the left channel and Rom playing in Lennon - are the only others I can think of mate. I despise this gaping hole on the left. Pienaar, Baines, Davey Thomas and Tricky Trev must too

The 2 at home the other week v Chelsea - Rom taking charge in the left channel and Rom playing in Lennon - are the only others I can think of mate. I despise this gaping hole on the left. Pienaar, Baines, Davey Thomas and Tricky Trev must too
It was not long ago that people where saying if you stop everton down the left you have a chance. We have relied so much on lennon and del this season.

But he didn't even say what the headline here is saying he said.

I think folks making a huge deal out of nothing. A respected, senior player expressing frustration after another disappointing result.

The fans deserved nothing less than a player allowing an interview to try to explain that they are just as frustrated as we are.

Far too much reading between the lines and making stuff up.

I get your point but I disagree, purely based on the tone of the interview and the choice of words used. As has been stated, he isn't your bog-standard footballer, he's a bright kid...I genuinely find the wording & the timing of it to be quite revealing. Plus it seems he's also had time to go away and construct the content, namely it's not spur of the moment palaver directly after the game...

“You are only really secure as individuals when you are winning games but even then we will make changes from time to time with what is required tactically,” AND “I just don’t feel as though the chemistry is quite there with the team on the pitch at the moment, and it hasn’t been for a while. We are maybe leaning too heavily on individuals to come up with something"

He can vent spleen about disappointment & results without mentioning 'tactics' & 'individual reliance' if need be, he chose not to.

He's scattering seeds to be watered and bloom.

Like....ermm, dunno...an athletic TITCHMARSH, something like that...

#DisregardLast

Lack of chemistry suggests that the players don't trust each other on the pitch reflecting in the movement or lack of it - and confidence. The team is less than the sum of the parts for some reason.

I get your point but I disagree, purely based on the tone of the interview and the choice of words used. As has been stated, he isn't your bog-standard footballer, he's a bright kid...I genuinely find the wording & the timing of it to be quite revealing. Plus it seems he's also had time to go away and construct the content, namely it's not spur of the moment palaver directly after the game...

“You are only really secure as individuals when you are winning games but even then we will make changes from time to time with what is required tactically,” AND “I just don’t feel as though the chemistry is quite there with the team on the pitch at the moment, and it hasn’t been for a while. We are maybe leaning too heavily on individuals to come up with something"

He can vent spleen about disappointment & results without mentioning 'tactics' & 'individual reliance' if need be, he chose not to.

He's scattering seeds to be watered and bloom.

Like....ermm, dunno...an athletic TITCHMARSH, something like that...

#DisregardLast

Nah...disagree. Just folks with an agenda trying to make it something it's not.

Quite a stinging assessment from Baines this. Accurate but unusually honest for a footballer. May not do down well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back