Baines: We have no chemistry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Players need to keep their gobs shut, but generally senior players send out sound bites in order to publicly galvanise, I'm sure all this has been discussed behind closed doors beforehand.

Martinez is struggling big time, his methods and ideas of football at this time needs to evolve, he has struggled to find a winning system for nigh on two years. Without going over old comments too much, he has been found out, the players playing this system have been found out so now we need to evolve. We are damned lucky that at this time there are worse teams in the division.

Pienaar was one player who you could trust with the ball, he very rarely gave the ball away cheaply, and if tackled, more often than not the opposition had to foul him to get the ball away from him, his teammates knew this and would be able to move further up the field in support without having to turn tail, get back into defensive positions and get caught out of position quite as much as they are now when the ball is turned over. It does seem like that unless we are prodding the ball around the half way line and back to goalkeeper that we struggle to maintain decent control of the football and game from inside the opposition half.

Just my view on this divisive of subjects.

I'll not forget the comment Baines made when he was on TV for the FA CUP game when injured and they asked about corners and Everton defending or lack thereof and he said that rm just left it to them to decide who to mark. It's like there is no planning with this team.

Baines could have covered this up but I think he was trying to highlight issues that needed fixing, nothing happened but he is trying again. I trust what he says far more than RM, this could be the straw that breaks the camels back.

I'll not forget the comment Baines made when he was on TV for the FA CUP game when injured and they asked about corners and Everton defending or lack thereof and he said that rm just left it to them to decide who to mark. It's like there is no planning with this team.

Baines could have covered this up but I think he was trying to highlight issues that needed fixing, nothing happened but he is trying again. I trust what he says far more than RM, this could be the straw that breaks the camels back.
Perhaps by highlighting the issue he's hoping to give a not-at-all-subtle hint to Martinez to get a wriggle on?

Not arguing right now post injury - which is still apparently bothering him but he's obviously decided to play through and get it sorted int he summer assuming he doesn't go the euros that his form has dipped a lot mate, still think he is the best full back at the club and one of the best in the league though personally - and one who if he was playing at another side would look a hell of a lot better than he does in ours under the current tactics

Thing about looking worse without Pienaar is true, which makes it baffling that our manager has had three seasons to sort out a balance on that side by getting a player who can work with and in fact compliment Baines and vice versa, our solution seems to be to play no one their at all and basically leave our left back utterly isolated - lost count of the amount of times we have been got at down that side and have a winger and right back doubling up against Baines/Oviedo/Galloway

Manager thinks thats fine apparently as we play Cleverley in theory their - although for the life of me he seems to play 95% of the game tucked centrally, or Kone who honestly god knows where he plays when he is out their but it certainly isn't as a winger thats for sure.

Take any fullback in the world and stick him in our team right now and leave them as isolated as we do our left backs and they will not look anywhere near the same player they are

Not sure I agree with a lot of that mate. I love Baines, but this year I'd favour Oviedo at left back or even Galloway as both on form have been more consistent. I don't see how you can blame the manager....two other left backs at the Club have been, arguably, better than him and the manager hasn't ruined them? For me it's not tactics either....Baines has been drained of confidence from the World Cup....he was bulled up and knocked down by the great British media who love doing that.
I read somewhere yesterday that the dream move to United that collapsed has made him bitter with Everton.....bitter? He should be highly frigging delighted when you see how the likes of Fellaini, Depay and Schniederlin have faired.
This business about no chemistry is baffling when you see the film of the Academy Day at Finch Farm today.....I'd say there's little commitment on the whole rather than chemistry.

You're correct and it's not just one thing causing this to occur, yet rather a multitude of elements which when combined mean we just look poor.

As @GrandOldTeam mentioned, there's no balance in our squad due to the tactics and the players being shoe-horned into unsuitable roles.

Nor do the players look either comfortable or confident in the overall approach Martinez has adopted. We're too often slow and turgid in our play.

So that means as you and Baines rightly mention, that the players are relying on individual players to produce with a maverick bit of skill.

My missus (who isn't interested in football in the slightest) even said to our girls last night, if the players don't suit the system then why play it?

Shocked I asked her to clarify.. 'He may want to play a certain way, but if you haven't got those players to do it yet, then why stick with it?'

I can see it, you can see it, the players can see it and even my missus can now see it.... Why can't Bobby?
I've said this since last season. A managers responsibility is to play a system to get the best out of his players, not demand players who may be limited to get the most out of his system. Being inflexible should be a short trip to getting sacked.

I've said this since last season. A managers responsibility is to play a system to get the best out of his players, not demand players who may be limited to get the most out of his system. Being inflexible should be a short trip to getting sacked.

And then you have people saying stuff like "should we play Baines/Stones in midfield", imagine a world in which a Premiership Manager thinks its a good idea to play Aaron Lennon as a number 10.

And then you have people saying stuff like "should we play Baines/Stones in midfield", imagine a world in which a Premiership Manager thinks its a good idea to play Aaron Lennon as a number 10.
and Ross as a holding midfielder and Tom Cleverly on the wing.

Go figure...

Not sure I agree with a lot of that mate. I love Baines, but this year I'd favour Oviedo at left back or even Galloway as both on form have been more consistent. I don't see how you can blame the manager....two other left backs at the Club have been, arguably, better than him and the manager hasn't ruined them? For me it's not tactics either....Baines has been drained of confidence from the World Cup....he was bulled up and knocked down by the great British media who love doing that.
I read somewhere yesterday that the dream move to United that collapsed has made him bitter with Everton.....bitter? He should be highly frigging delighted when you see how the likes of Fellaini, Depay and Schniederlin have faired.
This business about no chemistry is baffling when you see the film of the Academy Day at Finch Farm today.....I'd say there's little commitment on the whole rather than chemistry.
Even tho we've conceded less goals with Baines at left back than Oviedo and significantly less than Galloway?

And Brendan Galloway is essentially Tony Hibbert. Competent to good defensively, very suspect going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back