Transfer Rumour Ben Brereton Diaz

Status
Not open for further replies.
This feels incredibly underwhelming.

Championship strikers are so hit and miss. For every Ollie Watkins and Ivan Toney there’s an Adam Armstrong and Dwight Gale.

And for every foreign striker (Ruud van Nistelrooy and Dennis Bergkamp) there's an Afonso Alves and Seb Haller.

Nearly all signings are a punt. Heck look at the Torres and Shevchenko Chelsea got?

And for every foreign striker (Ruud van Nistelrooy and Dennis Bergkamp) there's an Afonso Alves and Seb Haller.

Nearly all signings are a punt. Heck look at the Torres and Shevchenko Chelsea got?
Yes we've had a few, big signings that didn't do anything. Remember Bakyoko, meant to be our big big signing. Didn't do anything and made us have to sell Big Dunc to Newcastle. Torres was brilliant for the RS, I hate to say though. But it goes to say that a striker won't always be good elsewhere. If we sign this lad it is a real punt. Even to say well it should be an improvement on Rondon is a guess. Although I think he would be, I doubt DCL is thinking oh no I might not get my place back.

Late in the window and money is tight, hence the link. I think we need someone who can play across the front line like Richarlison did. Then it improves the side when DCL comes back. Bereton-Diaz will likely be bench once DCL is available.

Yes we've had a few, big signings that didn't do anything. Remember Bakyoko, meant to be our big big signing. Didn't do anything and made us have to sell Big Dunc to Newcastle. Torres was brilliant for the RS, I hate to say though. But it goes to say that a striker won't always be good elsewhere. If we sign this lad it is a real punt. Even to say well it should be an improvement on Rondon is a guess. Although I think he would be, I doubt Dominic Calvert-Lewin is thinking oh no I might not get my place back.

Late in the window and money is tight, hence the link. I think we need someone who can play across the front line like Richarlison did. Then it improves the side when Dominic Calvert-Lewin comes back. Bereton-Diaz will likely be bench once Dominic Calvert-Lewin is available.

Yeh we need more than just this fella but he can play in multiple forward positions and at least has the physical attributes for the league. If only he came in I'd be worried, if it was him plus 1-2 other forwards I'm okay.

Signings can always fail but obviously some are more of a punt than others. Signing a lad who basically has about 4 months of consistent goalscoring - at a lower level - on his CV is definitely a big risk. Even the reports about the potential signing make it sound like we're not entirely convinced on him so you can see why people would be a bit fearful.

I'm not saying we shouldn't do it or he'd be a flop or anything, I haven't seen enough of him to know, but it's unarguably a risky one.

Fair point but wrong examples Liverpool had Chelsea's pants down with Torres, injuries had took their toll, his mobility and pace were not as good due to them and Shevchenko was definitely on the way down, he was 29 I think and definitely not suited to the Hurly burly of the Premier league.But as you say no signing is a cert in this league, an Abramovich favourite i believe.

Have to agree we could do with several forward line options. How many seasons have we had genuine options or competition up front?

Having said that, having strikers on the books doesn't necessarily guarantee it (Keane, Dcl and Tosun on paper looked like options, but only DCL really played). But I guess it's the starting point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back