Transfer Rumour Ben Brereton Diaz

Status
Not open for further replies.

In my experience, things usually play out the way they do for a reason. None of us know the facts, everything is speculation. For all we know we could need the Gordon money, or the knowledge that "x" amount of wages are off the annual bill, before we can commit to more new purchases.

It's frustrating I know, but this window was always going to be because of the financial constraints that previously poor management has put on the club. Now you can either rage against that or you can accept it. I choose the latter for the sake of my well being. In the past I may well have joined in the fume.

There is a chance that this window may still turn out okay for us. We already have done some good business but have quite a bit more to do, especially on the attacking side. But there is still time and well over 30 games to put right our poor start to the season due to not having a fit striker in place.

I'm still quite chilled, I might not feel the same come next Friday but I try hard not to worry about things that may never happen.
I understand mate and I do try really hard to see the reasons and planning behind things and not rush to judgement. But money has been spent this summer and loans have been brought in and with one injury having no one to play centre forward bar Rondon (who is barely league one standard) is pretty negligent. If nothing else you wait til someone comes in before you send Simms out on loan.

I didn’t expect us to get 50m for Richy an immediately spend most of it on a replacement but some form of replacement could’ve been among the players we’ve brought in.

Anyway my main point as regards Brereton Diaz is simply that, even if having the funds to get him required shipping out Dele the wheels could’ve been in motion early this week so he was ready to sign the moment the Dele deal was agreed, giving him a chance to play on Saturday. It might only make one game of a difference but when you haven’t won a game every game is massive. It’s the difference between being proactive and reactive.

I understand mate and I do try really hard to see the reasons and planning behind things and not rush to judgement. But money has been spent this summer and loans have been brought in and with one injury having no one to play centre forward bar Rondon (who is barely league one standard) is pretty negligent. If nothing else you wait til someone comes in before you send Simms out on loan.

I didn’t expect us to get 50m for Richy an immediately spend most of it on a replacement but some form of replacement could’ve been among the players we’ve brought in.

Anyway my main point as regards Brereton Diaz is simply that, even if having the funds to get him required shipping out Dele the wheels could’ve been in motion early this week so he was ready to sign the moment the Dele deal was agreed, giving him a chance to play on Saturday. It might only make one game of a difference but when you haven’t won a game every game is massive. It’s the difference between being proactive and reactive.
Fair enough. What I would say though is that we needed strengthening all over the pitch, not just in the striker department. Defence and central midfield were arguably more important than up top, up until DCL got injured that is. And even then, we also lost 2 central defenders on the opening day. The squad also needed left footers and wing backs if we were to insist on playing 3 at the back. If we had strengthened the attack and did nothing about the defence or midfield you can guarantee loads on here would have been moaning about that too.

Fully agree though that either Simms or Dobbie should have been retained at least until we had brought in cover up top.

Fair enough. What I would say though is that we needed strengthening all over the pitch, not just in the striker department. Defence and central midfield were arguably more important than up top, up until Dominic Calvert-Lewin got injured that is. And even then, we also lost 2 central defenders on the opening day. The squad also needed left footers and wing backs if we were to insist on playing 3 at the back. If we had strengthened the attack and did nothing about the defence or midfield you can guarantee loads on here would have been moaning about that too.

Fully agree though that either Simms or Dobbie should have been retained at least until we had brought in cover up top.
Yeah I guess one way to look at it is that we have one big problem remaining in attack but that’s I guess better than having problems in every area of the pitch as we did this year.

Like I say it’s really about the lack of proactive, detailed thinking there seems to be, little things like submitting a formal offer on a Weds / Thurs when you could do it on Monday and maybe increase your chances in the next match. Or, knowing that clubs like Blackburn or whoever will be reluctant to lose a centre forward with the season underway, holding back Simms not just as cover but as a loan replacement you can offer to sweeten the deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back