Transfer Rumour Ben Brereton Diaz

Status
Not open for further replies.
He’s a young striker with over 20 goals in the championship last season, 2 already this season. He’s gonna push Dom, and if he wasn’t on the last year of his contract they would be asking much higher than 15 mil. This guy is a 25-30 mil player, and there’s potential to make some money on this lad if he can score a decent amount for us

Absolute madness. I’m perfectly happy with signing him but they could’ve done this on Tuesday and still had a good shot of getting him in the door for Brentford. Or last Tuesday, or the Tuesday before that.

Starting things just late enough for him to be unavailable for an important match for which we have no decent player in his position is just so typical, like they thrive on doing everything just a little bit wrong.
In my experience, things usually play out the way they do for a reason. None of us know the facts, everything is speculation. For all we know we could need the Gordon money, or the knowledge that "x" amount of wages are off the annual bill, before we can commit to more new purchases.

It's frustrating I know, but this window was always going to be because of the financial constraints that previously poor management has put on the club. Now you can either rage against that or you can accept it. I choose the latter for the sake of my well being. In the past I may well have joined in the fume.

There is a chance that this window may still turn out okay for us. We already have done some good business but have quite a bit more to do, especially on the attacking side. But there is still time and well over 30 games to put right our poor start to the season due to not having a fit striker in place.

I'm still quite chilled, I might not feel the same come next Friday but I try hard not to worry about things that may never happen.

Broja has to be priority. Concern is him also getting injured! We need further decent backup. The threat of relegation is very real
At this point I would much rather purchase Diaz , who has already more than proved himself albeit in the Championship.
Broja is still mostly unrealised potential which is fine but the fact he would only be borrowed ,costing us money and leaving us with the same problem next season, makes me strongly averse.

Think it will be a challenge for the lad the step up - not that he cant do it - but the PL will challenge him, i think it takes a while for him to get the ball out of his feet, his best attribute isn't getting on the end of crosses and he likes to take a while to compose himself and he will have to adjust to that as he wont get as much time in the PL, he can finish though.

People worried about him being able to step up when the reality is that the championship is a much tougher league than the premier and at least half of the teams in the premier league are close to championship quality, us included until we get a decent goal scorer like this lad.

Get him signed so we don't have to have ronald macdonald up front for much longer please.

At this point I would much rather purchase Diaz , who has already more than proved himself albeit in the Championship.
Broja is still mostly unrealised potential which is fine but the fact he would only be borrowed ,costing us money and leaving us with the same problem next season, makes me strongly averse.
I'd struggle to be that conclusive

Diaz has clearly proved himself in the Championship but unproven in prem, no guarantee he can fully step up. But he is young and there is potential. But would be a big call to bet our prem survival on him

Broja scored 6 prem goals for Saints last season. Some but not loads. He is strong, big - Chelsea rate him enough to have given him minutes this season

I think we certainly need more than one new striker to mitigate against further injuries. The key is staying up this season and going from there with more money at some point

To be honest, looking at his numbers alone - he really only have 1 good season in the Championship. It's a gamble to take him and test him at top flight.

A 17mil valuation is very close to Che Adams valuation (17mil too??)? Would you rather have Che Adams or Ben Brereton Diaz? And then would rather have Che Adams/Ben Brereton Diaz or Rondon?
He's just 23. How many good seasons do you expect him to have had in the Championship?. His development is pretty much in line with most good players of his age. He hasn't just sprung from nowhere either. he was an instrumental part of the England U19 team that won the Euros tournament a few years back alongside players like Mason Mount. If we pay £15m or less for him that is excellent business for a young English striker IMO, and is reflected by the fact he has only 12 months left on his contract. He won't be demanding silly wages either. I'll be made up if we get him. We seem to be putting together a group of young hungry talented players, with a few old hands like Tarks, Coady and maybe Gana to guide them, under a young hungry manager. Reminds me a bit of the early 80s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back