Transfer Rumour Ben Brereton Diaz

Status
Not open for further replies.
You say you're not a massive fan of Calvert-Lewin, but also say the suggestion we need better than Brereton to replace him when he's not available or on form automatically 'indicates' referring to an 'elite' striker?

There's a middle ground.

Do you think Calvert-Lewin will play most games this season?

Let's say he gets another nasty injury, or is bang out of form as can happen to any player.

Do you think Maupay or Ben Brereton up front will be enough to keep us away from a relegation scrap?

I'm not sure.

You say Calvert-Lewin had a hot streak under Ancelotti, well if you think that - Brereton has had one good season - last season, in the Championship.

Nothing against him, my opinion is maybe skewed based on watching him play a fair bit for Nottingham Forest but I think we need another.

We need as a minimum;

Gana.
Some creativity in midfield. Preferably some goals.
Another striker.

There's just not enough goals in our front three.
I can't disagree with a word you've written but don't think we can achieve those additions without a major sale.

Who would you go for?

I'd have signed Mitrovic years ago when Fulham went down and we wouldn't have been in this mess. ;)

I hope they can manage to get Broja over the line. To me he just seems a bit more of a safer bet than Brereton.

Incredible we've left it this late though.

If last season screamed one lesson, it was to sign adequate cover/competition for Calvert-Lewin.

We're not in the elite group signing elite players so to a certain extent every forward signing is a risk particularly coming from outside the PL.

I'd be equally as nervous if we'd signed someone like Scamacca. You just don't know really though you can mitigate within your budget. £15m certainly does not buy you a guaranteed goalscorer. If it does it's either extraordinary luck or extraordinary good scouting, or both.

I understand signing Maupay in that context and understand their interest in Broja also. Diaz is by definition more risky but show me a signing that isn't.

£15m is peanuts in the modern game. In some ways our tight budget mitigates against a punt that costs three times as much, and bombs.

This is the territory we are in. We have to be much tighter defensively and get that goals against figure down, and hope we can nick the odd game to keep points ticking over.
Mid-table PL teams signing quite a lot of good international players this summer. PL is a massive pull.

Not having a go at our new forward…he costs £15m plus the alleged £20m spent on McNeil, we could have signed one top international player for £35m surely.

McNeil upfront cost wasn't bad at all, most of these talented european players demand large upfront fees. I'd imagine Newcastle paid a hefty sum upfront for Isak for example

Looking at his goals from last year he cerainly looks an instinctive finisher who hits the target.

I also looked at Brojas 6 goals and he to looks an instinctive finisher too, though without the same volume of goals, and no headed goals.

Both look decent prospects IMO.

Loads of people here talking as if this is done and dusted, but I'm not seeing anything to imply it's even progressed. Have I missed something?

I'd have signed Mitrovic years ago when Fulham went down and we wouldn't have been in this mess. ;)

I hope they can manage to get Broja over the line. To me he just seems a bit more of a safer bet than Brereton.

Incredible we've left it this late though.

If last season screamed one lesson, it was to sign adequate cover/competition for Calvert-Lewin.
I said it two years ago and I distinctly remember getting laughed at with those little smiley faces. Think @Zatara may have lambasted me for such a suggestion but then again I may have made that up....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back