Transfer Rumour Ben Brereton Diaz

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a mistake.

Players get injured, players lose form, players have challenges with mental health.

I still think this from early July

&

I like Maupay, but he doesn't change the picture.

I'm hoping we bring in someone else who can provide some competition/cover for Calvert-Lewin but I'm just not convinced it's Brereton.

Do we have the money/FFP allowance for a top striker?

Part of me thinks we're going for promise over proven right now due to budgetary considerations more than anything else (that and we're not that much of a draw anymore)

Ben Brereton Díaz tends to play off the left than through the middle like DCL. Not sure on his hold up play either. Perhaps areas he can develop but there’s little time to develop in Everton’s situation hence Lampard wanting proven players of at last basic PL proficiency.

Part of me thinks we're going for promise over proven right now due to budgetary considerations more than anything else (that and we're not that much of a draw anymore)
I’d love to know what the score is with this ffp the last big splurge we had was the season we signed moise kean etc 3/4 years ago West Ham av bought a lot of flops in that time Anderson haller even vlasic nothing seems to be happening to them same with villa

Do we have the money/FFP allowance for relegation?

Promise over proven? I don't see that if I look at all the transfers Lampard has made since coming in. He's gone for;

Ben Brereton Díaz tends to play off the left than through the middle like Dominic Calvert-Lewin. Not sure on his hold up play either. Perhaps areas he can develop but there’s little time to develop in Everton’s situation hence Lampard wanting proven players of at last basic PL proficiency.

Which is wise.

After we got battered 4-0 in America late July;

“The players have to understand we were in a relegation battle for a big portion of last season.

On Everton’s need for signings: “There is no doubt about it. When you think of where we were last year, we have lost a big player in Richarlison … we wish him well, but our club now continues. We know there is a void in forward areas, we are short in numbers there. Also, through the team there are things I want to strengthen and I can be honest about that, because a club like Everton has to have a competitive squad.”

Dwight McNeil and Neal Maupay don't fill that void, IMO. Add Ben Brereton?... Not convinced it does.

Any contribution from DCL this season I'm regarding as a bonus.

If we sign Diaz added to Maupay, it's a certain downgrade on paper to Richarlison and DCL.

I don't think we are in the zone to pay big for a more reputed forward though. I think it's important they try to add some additional spark/creativity in the form of someone like Pereira.

Additionally DCL/Richy got what, about 15 between them last season? We never replaced Lukakus goals and are still in that position.

It's critical we get some luck with injuries. We'll get 8-10 goals from Maupay because that's what he does, and I'd be reasonably confident Diaz could contribute the same.

It's the context of the games in which goals are scored though and that's where Richy in particular is missed.

We don't know on Diaz as a PL forward if signed. He cannot be accused of failing to score goals in a league he has not played in. If he played in France and got 22 goals, many would be delighted with him.

I'd prefer Broja myself and we may still get him but given the overall set of circumstances Diaz at least has potential. It's important that we try to add some creativity though.

We need goals from across the team, Gordon, Iwobi etc and the shape must reflect that need. Not a flat back 5 with 2 in central midfield. That must go.

Doesn't have to be "elite" mate, just someone to keep us competitive enough to stay in the league.

It's why they wanted/want Broja.
You indicated that they would have to challenge ( and therefore be comperable ) to DCL.

Before his injury he was 2nd choice to Kane in the England squad so therefore you need to be looking at a elite level player.

Broja may become that but isn't at that level yet.

To be frank I'm not a massive DCL fan and think that he just had a hot streak under Carlo. Had he not got injured I would have been more than happy to sell him and buy in a better quality player. However at this stage of the transfer window I just don't see that we are getting a top quality striker. We have to try to get more goals into the team from midfield and wide and hope that DCL returns to fitness and form.

I am very worried about our prospects but we have to hope that the club pull a couple of rabbits out of the hat in the last couple of days of the window.

Any contribution from Dominic Calvert-Lewin this season I'm regarding as a bonus.

If we sign Diaz added to Maupay, it's a certain downgrade on paper to Richarlison and Dominic Calvert-Lewin.

I don't think we are in the zone to pay big for a more reputed forward though. I think it's important they try to add some additional spark/creativity in the form of someone like Pereira.

Additionally Dominic Calvert-Lewin/Richy got what, about 15 between them last season? We never replaced Lukakus goals and are still in that position.

It's critical we get some luck with injuries. We'll get 8-10 goals from Maupay because that's what he does, and I'd be reasonably confident Diaz could contribute the same.

It's the context of the games in which goals are scored though and that's where Richy in particular is missed.

We don't know on Diaz as a PL forward if signed. He cannot be accused of failing to score goals in a league he has not played in. If he played in France and got 22 goals, many would be delighted with him.

I'd prefer Broja myself and we may still get him but given the overall set of circumstances Diaz at least has potential. It's important that we try to add some creativity though.

We need goals from across the team, Gordon, Iwobi etc and the shape must reflect that need. Not a flat back 5 with 2 in central midfield. That must go.
I think we are both on the same page here.

Personally I think we missed a big opportunity to reshape the side with Gordon's sale.

I just don't see where enough goals are coming from.

You indicated that they would have to challenge ( and therefore be comperable ) to Dominic Calvert-Lewin.

Before his injury he was 2nd choice to Kane in the England squad so therefore you need to be looking at a elite level player.

Broja may become that but isn't at that level yet.

To be frank I'm not a massive Dominic Calvert-Lewin fan and think that he just had a hot streak under Carlo. Had he not got injured I would have been more than happy to sell him and buy in a better quality player. However at this stage of the transfer window I just don't see that we are getting a top quality striker. We have to try to get more goals into the team from midfield and wide and hope that Dominic Calvert-Lewin returns to fitness and form.

I am very worried about our prospects but we have to hope that the club pull a couple of rabbits out of the hat in the last couple of days of the window.

You say you're not a massive fan of Calvert-Lewin, but also say the suggestion we need better than Brereton to replace him when he's not available or on form automatically 'indicates' referring to an 'elite' striker?

There's a middle ground.

Do you think Calvert-Lewin will play most games this season?

Let's say he gets another nasty injury, or is bang out of form as can happen to any player.

Do you think Maupay or Ben Brereton up front will be enough to keep us away from a relegation scrap?

I'm not sure.

You say Calvert-Lewin had a hot streak under Ancelotti, well if you think that - Brereton has had one good season - last season, in the Championship.

Nothing against him, my opinion is maybe skewed based on watching him play a fair bit for Nottingham Forest but I think we need another.

We need as a minimum;

Gana.
Some creativity in midfield. Preferably some goals.
Another striker.

There's just not enough goals in our front three.

If we have to rely on Diaz it will equal relegation.

Which is why if we stock the team with Championship players now it'll be easier to adjust in that league next year.

giphy.gif

We're not in the elite group signing elite players so to a certain extent every forward signing is a risk particularly coming from outside the PL.

I'd be equally as nervous if we'd signed someone like Scamacca. You just don't know really though you can mitigate within your budget. £15m certainly does not buy you a guaranteed goalscorer. If it does it's either extraordinary luck or extraordinary good scouting, or both.

I understand signing Maupay in that context and understand their interest in Broja also. Diaz is by definition more risky but show me a signing that isn't.

£15m is peanuts in the modern game. In some ways our tight budget mitigates against a punt that costs three times as much, and bombs.

This is the territory we are in. We have to be much tighter defensively and get that goals against figure down, and hope we can nick the odd game to keep points ticking over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back