2021/22 Ben Godfrey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was better today I felt, and as some mentioned seemed to be a bit more fit than in recent weeks so a massive positive. Still not convinced he has the height or positional ability to be a centre back at the top level. But in the same breath I don't think he has the technical ability to be a first choice right back.

Still a very decent player, but I fear utility man may be what he is while at Everton.

We've got a RB, we need an emergency stand in....and that IS Godfrey.

…don’t disagree, Dave. He’s filling-in in an emergency but he’s not a RB. Coleman is definitely first choice but we need a replacement so he become back-up.

Nobody has pushed for Godfrey since he signed more than i have but I am a little concerned about how poor he is aerially. I think there was another example in the first half today (although I’m having a bit of trouble with my vision so might have it wrong). He has to use his bulk to hold strikers off but he’s a terrific prospect.

I like him lots.

Was better today I felt, and as some mentioned seemed to be a bit more fit than in recent weeks so a massive positive. Still not convinced he has the height or positional ability to be a centre back at the top level. But in the same breath I don't think he has the technical ability to be a first choice right back.

Still a very decent player, but I fear utility man may be what he is while at Everton.

Agree. Its not the first time we've conceded because of this with him.
Really needs to read the game better.

As I said above I'll admit I'd have had Kenny in that berth today, purely as I was scared of their power up front against Keane. I'd have had Godfrey with Mina with a true right back on purely defensive duties. However Keane had a blinder and once again Rafael nailed it.
I see Godfrey getting back energy levels and against weaker teams than United helpoing Townsend pin back defences with forward runs.

But make no mistake: that was a big improvement at RB for Godfrey today and against a team that targetted him with their best players all afternoon.

All Ilm saying is this: we dont need a RB this January. We have our deputy right now. Let's see what's available in the summer and spend any cash on a midfielder who can step in if we get a bad injury to Allan or Doucoure and a deputy for Townsend if his form deserts him.

…don’t disagree, Dave. He’s filling-in in an emergency but he’s not a RB. Coleman is definitely first choice but we need a replacement so he become back-up.

Nobody has pushed for Godfrey since he signed more than i have but I am a little concerned about how poor he is aerially. I think there was another example in the first half today (although I’m having a bit of trouble with my vision so might have it wrong). He has to use his bulk to hold strikers off but he’s a terrific prospect.

I like him lots.
...which is why the shouts for him to be a CB are mad and why I've been wondering if RB can be made his own with a spell there. Long term right now looks a stretch, but I see progress in that position for him and when he has full fitness we'll see if he has more to come.

...which is why the shouts for him to be a CB are mad and why I've been wondering if RB can be made his own with a spell there. Long term right now looks a stretch, but I see progress in that position for him and when he has full fitness we'll see if he has more to come.

…I think that’s fair but I also think he’s more likely to improve his aerial weakness than improve in so many aspects to become RB. The aerial issue has been quickly identified by Benitez (impressive, although a few of us pointed it out last season), I think its more about technique as he has the upper body bulk to unsettle a striker.

When the RB narrows the angle to a fraction of the goal for the GK he's done his job...he was scrambling to get over because others had deserted the CB position and he made up that ground to do enough so that Pickford gets a strong hand on that Martial shot.
Martial had the full goal to his mercy mate. Godfrey ended up in no man's land. The CB which I think may have been Keane at the time was arguably closer to blocking the shot. I haven't been pickfords greatest fan but that wasn't on him. Again though Godfrey isn't a RB , this was inevitable.

To be honest he looks a bit low on confidence everytime there is a danger, although the pass to Davis was class today, Davis messed it up though.

…I think that’s fair but I also think he’s more likely to improve his aerial weakness than improve in so many aspects to become RB. The aerial issue has been quickly identified by Benitez (impressive, although a few of us pointed it out last season), I think its more about technique as he has the upper body bulk to unsettle a striker.
His age? Learning how to head the ball and time heading the ball? Too late. You either enjoy that side of the game or not, he clearly doesn't. And Ild never allow Gidfrey to have the ball at his feet as the last line of defence. We have Keane already who gets caught with the ball, two would make it a real problem.

He has the pace and athleticism more suited to a FB spot. That would be my assessment.

Martial had the full goal to his mercy mate. Godfrey ended up in no man's land. The CB which I think may have been Keane at the time was arguably closer to blocking the shot. I haven't been pickfords greatest fan but that wasn't on him. Again though Godfrey isn't a RB , this was inevitable.
We agree to disagree, I suppose.

When the RB narrows the angle to a fraction of the goal for the GK he's done his job...he was scrambling to get over because others had deserted the CB position and he made up that ground to do enough so that Pickford gets a strong hand on that Martial shot.
He was out of position for the goal, massively, as the ball got played out to Martial he was basically standing on the center half’s toes.

Think it was Godfrey and Mina who tried to block Martials' shot. Took a slight deflection from one of them, by the looks of it, wrong-footing Jordan Pickford.

3 Utd Goal .jpg

Ben Godfrey (circled), like the rest of our defence, had moved too far across to the left leaving Martial in acres of space on our right side.

2 Utd Goal.jpg

Think it was Godfrey and Mina who tried to block Martials' shot. Took a slight deflection from one of them, by the looks of it, wrong-footing Jordan Pickford.
Ben Godfrey (circled), like the rest of our defence, had moved too far across to the left leaving Martial in acres of space on our right side.
The bottom image offers a great perspective, when watching the game I thought Godfrey was far to central but when you display that image you can see the entire team was significantly to far over, the CB, CM pairings and Townsend had all moved across and their quick switch got us.

We do play very compact under Rafael, it’s obviously working really well but it also shows its more tactical than just Godfrey’s positioning.

The bottom image offers a great perspective, when watching the game I thought Godfrey was far to central but when you display that image you can see the entire team was significantly to far over, the CB, CM pairings and Townsend had all moved across and their quick switch got us.

We do play very compact under Rafael, it’s obviously working really well but it also shows its more tactical than just Godfrey’s positioning.

That shows clearly that Godfrey had to come inside because the United player had the ball and would have been 1V1 with Mina otherwise.

Looks like Allan(?) let the united player (Fernandes?) past him...

Status
Not open for further replies.